Search
Register
Questions for Sage
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sarcastro

Questions for Sage  Reply with quote  

Hey Sage, so I just realized I've been coming to this message board for like over 10 years now, which is pretty crazy on its own, but it made me wonder about you, since you're the reason I, and pretty much everyone else joined this board. So here's some questions that I'd love to know the answer to.

Do you find your drive for making music is less now than it was before, obviously you put out less stuff out now than early 00's but I just mean do you enjoy it less. I guess with this I'm relating to myself and people around me and how we used to LOVE music when were younger but now it's like background noise, and we'll get much less excited about it, has that happened to you as an artist, especially since you have so many more duties than just making music now a days?

This one is more personal so I understand if you don't want to answer it but as far as making money in the business has it increased for you over the years with you having your own label and having a handful of artists on board or were you better off back when you were solo but during the days when people actually bought CDs?

Basically I'd love to know if for someone like you, a pretty successful underground artist and someone who parlayed that into a record label, if you're struggling to get by or if it's been something that has made you rich and if you think that Strange Famous Records is going to be something you're running in like 10 or 20 years.

Also do you see yourself ever retiring or maybe more appropriately making music as a hobby and not a living?
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 pm
Nemonic7

Not to hijack your thread but I don't think it's right for me to make a new thread for my question so I'll ask here.

Sage, when will you release that reanimator remix of Threewrite? It was up for stream for a short time years ago on your myspage page. I think it was the best remix of it that I've heard. Can you put it up as a song/clip of the week on the StrangeFamous main page website?
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:48 pm
CaptainFantasy

I also don't want to hijack but I often wonder why it takes artists several years to drop a new album. Is it the new technology in the studio that has slowed things down as albums can be mixed into a much more detailed, broken down, finely mixed product, if that makes sense, instead of the recording technology of years back. The Beatles, Stones, etc. were dropping the greatest albums ever on a yearly basis. Artists now seem to be on a 4-6 year time span between albums in general. I have no idea what goes into the process of making and releasing an album so I often wonder what has changed. Sage, I'm not singling you out on this as it's not just you but instead I'm referring to the music industry overall. I'm hoping that maybe you or other artists on the board have some input on the difference in release schedules.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 pm
Captiv8

I'd say it has something to do with evolving industry standards, and the fact that major bands are backed by huge studio and touring budgets. I don't know what the average cost of putting a record together is these days, but at a minimum an independent artist needs to pay for the recording space, then the cost of engineering and mastering, then the cost of manufacturing and distribution. Then they can attempt to defray these costs with sales and touring, which in the start will rely on word of mouth and personal hustle. Also, many independent artists are not able to financially support themselves through music alone, so they have to work regular jobs that soak up valuable creative output time and energy.
Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 am
Jesse Custer

Re: Questions for Sage  Reply with quote  

Sarcastro wrote:
I guess with this I'm relating to myself and people around me and how we used to LOVE music when were younger but now it's like background noise,

Wow. How old are you? I hope this never happens to me.

I have got sick of certain genres at times but then I'll always find some rich vein of music that I'd never heard before that reignites my love.
Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 am
Sarcastro

Re: Questions for Sage  Reply with quote  

Jesse Custer wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:
I guess with this I'm relating to myself and people around me and how we used to LOVE music when were younger but now it's like background noise,

Wow. How old are you? I hope this never happens to me.

I have got sick of certain genres at times but then I'll always find some rich vein of music that I'd never heard before that reignites my love.

I'm 30. And perhaps I put it too harshly, I still enjoy hearing a great song and will listen to it over and over again but my drive to find great new music isn't as strong anymore, now it's more of a if I stumble into it on the radio or on something like mixcloud or pandora or something, then I'll notice it.
Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Dear Sage,

Am I a fan? A friend? Or a customer?
Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:35 pm
anomaly
Loserface

You ever been in a cockpit before? You ever seen a grown man naked? Do you ever hang around the gymnasium?

Sage, do you like movies about gladiators?
Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:23 pm
Atreyu

anomaly wrote:
You ever been in a cockpit before? You ever seen a grown man naked? Do you ever hang around the gymnasium?

THIS
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:31 pm
Sarcastro

anomaly wrote:

I was more hoping that he'd answer new questions, you can get the answer to those in pretty much any interview he's done.

btw
No. Yes. Yes. American: Yes, Roman: No.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm
Szechwan

When your beard was at it's apex, did the carpet match the mouth-drapes?
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 am
Limbs

We need to start a campaign to get Sage on a prominent podcast. Macklemore was on Nerdist. It annoyed me.
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm
smake

Nemonic7 wrote:
Not to hijack your thread but I don't think it's right for me to make a new thread for my question so I'll ask here.

Sage, when will you release that reanimator remix of Threewrite? It was up for stream for a short time years ago on your myspage page. I think it was the best remix of it that I've heard. Can you put it up as a song/clip of the week on the StrangeFamous main page website?

Is that the one with the Slow Down Gandhi beat? Because that one is my favorite version. It compliments the music so well. Sage liked it so much he took the beat for Slow Down Gandhi (which was later recorded). Asked about it on Twitter one time.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:59 am
Nemonic7

I'm not sure. I remember liking the Slow Down Gandhi Reanimator remix also but I don't think they were the same beat. I only heard that Threewrite remix a couple of times as the only place I found it was on Sage's myspace page streaming, then it was taken down. I remember loving the beat.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Szechwan wrote:
When your beard was at it's apex, did the carpet match the mouth-drapes?

You're assuming that it has apex'd.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next