Search
Register
Good Charities?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

OM3N

Good Charities?  Reply with quote  

Hey all. figure this is a good place to ask. I have 5000 bucks to give to a deserving charity. any suggestions?
Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 pm
Plum Puddin'

The Human Fund.

I'm already a member and can cut through a lot of the paperwork, so if you just transfer me the money, i can make a donation in your name.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:45 pm
Dan Shay

Kickstarter
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 am
Flossin

Maybe check the Ubuntu thread. A lot of charities were mentioned there.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am
Mark in Minnesota

I asked a similar question a few years ago and the one answer I got that really stuck with me was Doctors Without Borders (msf.org).

I'm also personally a fan of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org).
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

I second Doctor's without Borders.

I also like Amnesty International a lot but it is too political for some people.

Also, regional foodbanks typically need help.

Lastly the Literacy Network is a great organization and is always looking for dontations and volunteers.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 am
Captiv8

How do you just have $5000 to give to a charity? I don't even have that much in my bank account.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:05 am
poopsnack

Easy answer, homie - http://strangefamousrecords.bandcamp.com/track/ubuntu-water-into-wine
Really doe.
You have been a member here for over a decade, and you know the proceeds will help out a cause one of us can personally vouch for.
Run that 5K, you will be glad you did.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

poopsnack wrote:
Easy answer, homie - http://strangefamousrecords.bandcamp.com/track/ubuntu-water-into-wine
Really doe.
You have been a member here for over a decade, and you know the proceeds will help out a cause one of us can personally vouch for.
Run that 5K, you will be glad you did.

I didn't want to hop in and push that fundraiser but I did. Heh. That said, if anyone ever wants to donate more than $20 to it, the best way is to email me directly so I can give them the proper paypal address rather let Bandcamp take a percent of the money. Email me at sage(at)strangefamous.com for info.

But, yes, as Mark mentioned above, Doctors Without Borders is a fantastic organization.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

when you donate money to an NGO or charity keep in mind that a great deal of that money goes towards operational costs, outreach, CEO payments etc. most of the supposed "charities" in the states do very little for the causes they claim to support. anytime you want to "donate" money to a "cause" you gotta look real deep into where that money actually goes & how it is used. take for instance "greenpeace" what do tehy actually do in the US? nothing.

National Lawyers Guild
anyone who's ever been arrested at a major protest benefited from having an NLG lawyer represent them for free. they have been defending civil liberties for 50 years and i think they are much more useful then the ACLU. nationallawyersguild.org

not "charities:"

denver anarchist black cross
they do political prisoner support for lots of black panthers, radicals, etc.
http://denverabc.wordpress.com

tarsands blockade
http://tarsandsblockade.org
this is the umbrella organization that is resisting the keystone XL pipeline. when you donate $ to em that money is used to physically resist the construction of the biggest threat to the ecology of north america that exists. $ goes to bail, food, legal costs, etc. if i had $5k to put anywhere i'd give it to these guys. they are killing it.

oh also "occupy sandy" http://occupysandy.org
all funds from that go directly towards helping victims of superstorm sandy in far rockaway who currently FEMA and the government isn't doing shit for(months later).
Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm
Plum Puddin'

Well, dont leave us in suspense, brOmen.

Who gets the cheese?

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:22 pm
PatrickBateman

It really depends on what you are passionate about man. I used to work with Doctors Without Borders, and when it comes to major NGO's that save lives in the most desperate parts of the world, they are the best in my opinion.

For real though, Ubuntu isn't just a dope choice because you support Sage. That sort of situation is always my number one go to when it comes to larger donations. There are a group of people who need help, they know what the kids need and how much it will cost and there really don't seem to be much, if any, overhead at this point. The results are direct, which is a dream for a donor.

On a side note, littlefootprintsbigsteps.com has a similar M.O., and they are in real trouble right now since they have to move locations on the fly. It's a safe house in haiti overseen by a beautiful soul named Morgan. The move is putting the whole operation in real trouble, so you have a few extra bucks after whatever you choose, toss it over to them. The only downside is that it's a Canadian charity so you won't get tax deductions unless you're living in Canada.

Good luck! I'd love to know where you chose to donate. You're dope.
Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jared Paul

My suggestion, in addition to Ubuntu Fund, would be for some part of it to go to something climate change related, like Sole said: http://tarsandsblockade.org or www.350.org
Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jesse Custer

Hey guys.

I've asked myself this question a bunch of times.. also I've asked my friends and family that work in NGOs and charities. Unfortunately a lot of them are really jaded about how money gets spent in a lot of these organisations!

So I got an email from my cousin the other day about a kickstarter project that she is working on with a good friend of hers following a TEDx talk that he gave.

Their project is aiming to inspire a new generation in Sudan. You can check it out here -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1551224532/our-sudan-a-short-film-to-inspire-a-new-generation

Cheers.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:11 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

Do a LOT of research. Charities have a lot of way to " fudge " numbers or present them a certain way. Most of them do what they say, somewhat, but a majority of some of the larger ones have people getting six figures paychecks to ' serve the poor " or whatever. Biggest fucking bullshit I ever fucking heard of. I don't care if it's your " job" if you make six figures at some major NGO then you're a scum sucker in my book. Someone may allocate you that money and write you the check but you may as just well go steal it from poor peoples pockets.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next