Search
Register
Ever play sports again after a major injury?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

anomaly
Loserface

he's a professional rollerblader
Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 am
mattrego

icarus502 wrote:
mattrego wrote:
I have torn ACL's in both knees and had them reconstructed. I had to get surgery to clean them out a couple of times, but since then, I had no problems being active. Until this latest injury. It has me considering a lifestyle change.

I ruptured my achilles in February of last year. Doc said it was a standard operation, reattach it and I should be good to go in 6 months. Long story short, I have been anything but good to go. Just recently had more surgery to try and correct problems of the last 11 months. Ugh. Might just stick to biking for exercise because I don't want to go thru this shit again.

I had to go see the doc recently to have my cast loosened up. I snuck a peek at my foot. Here is a nice pic.

WTF do you do?!

Well, my knee injuries happened in college(soccer-freshman and junior years). The achilles injury happened at work playing in a kickball league. I coordinate(d) athletic leagues for various municipalities (city, state and now federal). I run them and I am also allowed to participate in the adult leagues. I think those days are over. I think the wear and tear from all these years is catching up.
Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 am
cakes

Re: Ever play sports again after a major injury?  Reply with quote  

FranktheP wrote:
My 17 year old daughter is a sophomore in high school and completely tore her ACL, tore her miniscus and chipped some pieces off her knee cap playing indoor field hockey back in early December. Her surgery is set for January 25th with the hope that she will be able to play again in August when training camp opens (she will miss the spring lacrosse season).

i'll start with a disclaimer that all of our bodies and each of our injuries are different, and i'm not a clinician.

that said, i think she could totally play again! i tore my acl and meniscus in high school too (it's actually the most common sports injury among that population). i actually kept playing on it for almost a season and smashed those bones together more than i should admit. i was a stubborn athlete. once that ligament is torn, it's not going to repair itself. (the additional chipped patella may add a little more concern, but of course your surgeon will have more suggestions on that.)

rehab is crucial! not only going as much as your insurance will offer, but also really following the exercises at home and paying attention to her body.

i didn't wear a brace after my surgery (though this is more of an opinion of the surgeon) and i was back playing soccer by the fall (my surgery was in late jan as well - when i was 18). i thought i missed my opportunity to play in college, but i found myself in the division III ncaa national championships a year later.

it will take patience and work on her part and rehab hurts like a bitch, but it's absolutely doable! thousands deal with this injury every year.

best of luck to her!
Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:32 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3