Search
Register
UBUNTU song/fundraiser. *UPDATED* on 1/15/13
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

PatrickBateman

If this is something you're planning on continuing through the spring, I could add a two-page spread on the spring issue of my publication.

It's an art/charity publication so the demographic fits. A lot of our readers are looking for causes like this to donate to.

www.omaat.org

My e-mail is Michael at Omaat.org. Let me know if I can help.
Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeadAwake

Much respect.

If you dont mind me asking, whats happening with Zakheni's leg? Did that heal up or will he be getting some treatment when possible? Judging by the picture of the wound i assume he was unable to walk for a long time. At least unassisted.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

PatrickBateman wrote:
If this is something you're planning on continuing through the spring, I could add a two-page spread on the spring issue of my publication.

Yeah, I plan on carrying this through til the end of 2013 and probably beyond. I'm gathering good contacts and figuring out better ways to conduct the whole campaign. I'll shoot you an email.

DeadAwake wrote:

If you dont mind me asking, whats happening with Zakheni's leg? Did that heal up or will he be getting some treatment when possible? Judging by the picture of the wound i assume he was unable to walk for a long time.

His foot was really bad when I saw it. A few years ago he was hit by a car and it was never properly treated. He has been hobbling around on this leg with an open wound for YEARS. The picture I posted shows how it's basically scar tissue upon scar tissue. Flies would often get inside of it which really embarrassed him. I asked why he didn't cover it up with socks and they told me that they couldn't afford them. This made no sense to me. I don't think that the cost of socks was the actual problem. I think that they simply had become so used to him having this wound that it wasn't something they felt needed special attention. Regardless, I bought him a bunch of socks and made sure he knew to keep that foot clean and covered. A couple days later while the kids were playing around someone accidentally kicked his foot. The look on his face really stuck with me. He was in the most incredible fucking pain. Shit still kind of hurts for me to think about, knowing he had been hobbling around with that open wound for 7 years during a time when he should have been running around and having fun with the other kids. Fuckkkkkkkk, long story short(ened)...

In 2011 Zakheni was taken to several doctors to get checked out. He was turned away at a couple spots. Eventually he was brought to a chiropractic clinic and had an in-depth examination by a young doctor there. It was Durban Technicon's chiropractic department and a radiology department where they do pro-bono work on people who are in need.

Zakheni is now walking and playing soccer. He can wear normal shoes without the calipers.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:26 am
Prontoid

Sage Francis wrote:
PatrickBateman wrote:

Yeah, I plan on carrying this through til the end of 2013 and probably beyond. I'm gathering good contacts and figuring out better ways to conduct the whole campaign. I'll shoot you an email.

DeadAwake wrote:

If you dont mind me asking, whats happening with Zakheni's leg? Did that heal up or will he be getting some treatment when possible? Judging by the picture of the wound i assume he was unable to walk for a long time.

His foot was really bad when I saw it. A few years ago he was hit by a car and it was never properly treated. He has been hobbling around on this leg with an open wound for YEARS. The picture I posted shows how it's basically scar tissue upon scar tissue. Flies would often get inside of it which really embarrassed him. I asked why he didn't cover it up with socks and they told me that they couldn't afford them. This made no sense to me. I don't think that the cost of socks was the actual problem. I think that they simply had become so used to him having this wound that it wasn't something they felt needed special attention. Regardless, I bought him a bunch of socks and made sure he knew to keep that foot clean and covered. A couple days later while the kids were playing around someone accidentally kicked his foot. The look on his face really stuck with me. He was in the most incredible fucking pain. Shit still kind of hurts for me to think about, knowing he had been hobbling around with that open wound for 7 years during a time when he should have been running around and having fun with the other kids. Fuckkkkkkkk, long story short(ened)...

In 2011 Zakheni was taken to several doctors to get checked out. He was turned away at a couple spots. Eventually he was brought to a chiropractic clinic and had an in-depth examination by a young doctor there. It was Durban Technicon's chiropractic department and a radiology department where they do pro-bono work on people who are in need.

Zakheni is now walking and playing soccer. He can wear normal shoes without the calipers.

God damn, I had a massive open wound in my calf a few years back which took 4 months to heal even with meticulous care and attention, can't imagine having that for 7 years...
Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:24 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

*NEWEST UPDATE 1/15/13*
Last weekend the kids were taken out for school clothes shopping.
Lookin' Durban fresh:

They are incredibly grateful for all your help and support. So am I. The next thing we’re going to do is get their roof fixed.

All information on this song and fundraiser: www.tinyurl.com/SageFrancisUBUNTU
Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm
Bodi

Great work, Sage.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Thanks, man. hey, I got your email. I will put you in touch with the people I know in Durban. Hopefully something can be worked out.

-------

Here's a short interview I did regarding this song and my time out there:
http://www.infectiousmagazine.com/sage-francis-interview/

IM: As the founder of Strange Famous Records, you are a very influential name in the underground hip-hop community. What sparked your initial interest in lending your voice to this cause? And since returning home has there been any immediate impact in the community of musicians that call Strange Famous Records their home?

Sage Francis: I was invited to Durban, South Africa to take part in a program where HIV+ children who were going through treatment would be given moral support and have their story told by musicians/poets. I was told that I should learn about their situation and write a “praise poem” for them. I had never been to South Africa before so I was all about it. This wasn’t something I had much time to prepare for, so I kind of jumped into it blindly. Blindly. haha. At the risk of being punny or using silly word play, it was an eye opening experience. To say the least. My interest in lending my voice to this situation is purely rooted in what I witnessed while I was there and knowing that I had the access to people who wouldn’t have heard this story otherwise.

IM: Were there any apprehensions when you first decided to get involved in this effort?

Sage Francis: I was given about a week’s notice to prepare for a 14 day stay in Durban for something I had no clue about, so yeah…I had my apprehensions. One small example is that I didn’t have enough time to get the vaccinations I was advised to get even though I hit up every hospital in my state. I actually returned home from South Africa with a staph infection and strep infection which cost me an additional $500 in medical bills. The original bill was over $1000 and after I hollered at the hospital about that they lowered the cost by 50%. Such a silly system. Regardless, it was a small price to pay for everything I learned and all the great people I met during my trip abroad. I couldn’t ignore the irony punching me in the face though. I traveled half way around the world to help out the people who aren’t getting proper medical treatment, and then I end up getting whacked with outrageous fees back home for simple blood work.

IM: As a person who expresses yourself for a living, what kind of lasting effect has this trip had on your creative process, if any?

Sage Francis: I don’t think it’s something that affected my creative process. It was a great learning experience. I fell in love with a group of kids who I think about every day. But as far as this affecting my creative process, I don’t really think it’s had any impact. If it has, I’m not aware of it. Not yet.

IM: ‘Ubuntu (Water into Wine)’ showcases the depravity that can plague and undermine the livelihood of millions of people from a perspective that relates humans of all walks of life. Are you a magician? Can listeners expect more wizardry on the subject in the near future?

Sage Francis: Ha, no, I’m not a magician. I’m just fortunate enough to be in the position to tell the story of people who may not have their story told otherwise. I try to do it in a way where it becomes all of our story. I’ll keep telling those stories as long as I can. Thank you for listening.
Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3