Search
Register
My dog bit a neighbor's dog on my property - legal question
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

anomaly
Loserface

My dog bit a neighbor's dog on my property - legal question  Reply with quote  

So Friday night, I had some friends over. We were hanging in my front porch and I temporarily went in my house for one sec to grab a beer and use the facilities. When I went to go head back on my front porch, my 2 dogs (in the house) were barking crazy and I just assumed it was my friends being loud and getting the dogs worked up. I opened the door a crack and my smallest dog zoomed past my leg......turned out my meth-head neighbor was on my front lawn talking to my friends. Uninvited w her little Boston Terrier. My dog instantly clamped onto this dog in no time. He's territorial and this dog is constantly pooping in our yard. Like a ninja, I took a flying tackle and grabbed my dog's neck to choke him out before any damage was done. Even after I took him off and carried him inside my neighbor was crying and hollering and talking non-sense. About 3 mins later, I went nextdoor to her house to inspect dog and it had a small gash about the length of a quarter. Didn't feel it was my fault, but I said I'd take care of it and asked they wait until the morning to avoid a 24 hour emergency hospital. It wasn't that bad, I even helped bandaged the dog up and it seemed fine. Sat morning, I get up and go over to check on dog and they say they're worried and they're going to animal hospital. Annoyed, I said just let me know how it goes. I'm trying to not have problems w my neighbors and keep shit harmonious, that afternoon, I get a bill for $240 from the neighbor. No sutures, no stitches, no staples.....just a doc visit and a bunch of antibiotics. Still annoyed, but I'll take care of it. Don't want drama.

Today while at work, I get a call from my wife that they called animal services on us claiming all kinds of bullshit that my dogs are never on leashes and they run the neighborhood like they own it. ONE dog got out Fri and I grabbed him 12 feet out my door,,,,,never left our property. We ALWAYS walk them on leashes. I never invited the methhead on my property, especially w that dog. I have a "beware of dog" sign clearly visible on my porch. I no longer want to pay that vet bill.

I tried to be nice. I got stabbed in the back. My question is.....TX law, am I required to? My property, signs posted, she paraded her dog onto my lawn, they're playing dirty.

Discuss.....
Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:36 pm
Plum Puddin'

So are they trying to get your dogs taken away or are they trying to get more cash outta you?
Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 pm
anomaly
Loserface

That's what I'm unsure of. Animal Services just came by w a simple report of dogs running wild and the animal officer just checked our papers on their vaccinations and rabies status and went on his way.. If we hadn't had their papers, we would've gotten a ticket for tags being expired. He didn't show up in an animal transportation truck.....just a regular pickup.

He didn't even mention an animal attack. My wife is ready for war. I'm trying to stay levelheaded on the whole deal. The screwed thing is my wife has been bitten by their dog 2x (small nips) and we've always talked it all out, no authorities called. They only recently started walking their dogs on leashes. It took me 1.5 years to finally get them to leash their dogs up. They literally open the door and let their dogs run loose to poop all the time..... No freaking clue what brought this on.

I'm at a total loss what they're thinking here or how their claims are justified. We don't have a yard so our dogs are only out of the house when we walk them to the park or to the poo area.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:05 am
mzehe916

Google your city and county codes on animals. Oh look, this is what I found: http://www.dallasanimalservices.org/city_code.html

And since your dog bit another dog the neighbors might be considering your dog to be "dangerous." Then you might want to look at this: http://www.dallasanimalservices.org/dangerous_dogs.html

There are numbers to call and they might be able to answer your question. Now, remember that they aren't lawyers and may not offer legal advice. I am not a lawyer, I just have time on my hands.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 am
mzehe916

And I noticed that you mentioned it happened in your front yard in the original post, but then claim to not have a yard in your second post. If you don't have a yard and your dog was not tethered then you may be fucked. I've mentioned this before but my ass was saved when a dog I was in control of bit another dog that was unleashed. That thread is here somewhere. They did bring on the lawyers, but thanks to advice I gathered from the legal forum on Craigslist and a copy of the quarantine report from the animal shelter I was able to squash all of that nonsense right away. This may be a chance for your neighbors to upgrade from the peanut butter to the ice.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 am
anomaly
Loserface

Sorry, I mean they're house dogs. We don't have a backyard for them to run around and play in. We do have some grass out by our front porch, but there's not a closed in area for them to play.

I think I might just say fuck it and pay the $240, but I'm not happy about it. Might be more trouble than it's worth. Knowing my shady neighbors I'll come out and all my tires will be slashed or something. Never trust a meth-head.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 am
Captiv8

Lawyers fees would amount to as much, I'm sure, not to mention the inconvenience. If I'm you though, I'd make sure that they sign something that says the $240 covers the damages. You don't want them to get a taste and then think they can milk it for even more. Let them know as well (after they've signed, natch) that if their dog is even on your property again you will call Animal Services. Since you were willing to pay the vet bill anyway, I'd just take that route as the easiest one.

Last edited by Captiv8 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 am
futuristxen

I agree with getting shit down in writing whatever you do.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 am
ROTTY

I cant really advise on the law side of things. I know UK laws and thats not gonna help.

Was her dog on a leash at the time? If it was then you will have to take full blame as your dog will be seen as the the one not under control. Even though she was on your property univited she was talking to your friends and all was civil conversation?...im guessing. Reason im saying this is because it could be viewed like she was also a guest with her dog. Does your neighbour have to go through a gate or a barrier that separates your property from hers?

Its a real fucky situation and i do empathise with you.

Unless your dog is getting taken away from you. I would write this one off as bad luck, take it on the chin and move on. In any case i wish you luck.

Oh and by the way "choking your dog out" to stop a fight! Such a wrong thing to do. I know it is a panic situation but you need to learn the rear leg flip or inside thigh pinch. Its safer for you and your dog.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am
anomaly
Loserface

"Choking out" is a bad description. I applied pressure to his throat so he'd release. It's all that came to mind in the split second I had to respond.

I'm paying it and we're putting a fence up around the front porch to prevent this shit again.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am
Raoul DeGroot

why's your dawg murderdawg yo?
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am
anomaly
Loserface

I guess my dog is just territorial of the front porch. He had to represent.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 pm
Plum Puddin'

Re: My dog bit a neighbor's dog on my property - legal quest  Reply with quote  

anomaly wrote:
this dog is constantly pooping in our yard.

Then you need to poop in theirs.

For balance.

And vengeance.

Mainly vengeance.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Jump to: