Search
Register
How old are you? / General conversation thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

How old are you? / General conversation thread  Reply with quote  

I'm in the later end of my 20's.

So pretty simple question, I know that in and of itself it doesn't necessarily lend itself to interesting conversations, but the forum isn't extremely active anyways so I don't think it's really going to bump any of the other conversations out of the mix.

I was just thinking about this though cause I saw a poster who for awhile I had thought was pretty close in age to me, and then they mentioned something about being in their late 30's and it really hit me that the vast majority of people here are probably at least a decade older than me. So I'm just curious what age (or around what age if people don't want to give the specific number) is everyone else here?

To try and make it a little more interesting feel free to share stories of times this forum has made you feel really old or really young. I know Plum mentioned in the "important hip-hop artists" thread that it made him feel old. Or just talk about whatever the fuck you want, since the thread is here and only has a limited purpose feel free to post about something you might have wanted to say but wasn't really relevant to any of the existing ones and you didn't feel it warranted a whole new thread (kind of like this one right here).

Last edited by xGasPricesx on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:17 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm
xGasPricesx

I'm really just curious what the average age of posters around here is, I don't really care to know everyone's specific age. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the mid-to-late 30's though, can't imagine it would be much older or younger than that.

On a completely unrelated note, for people who have not yet watched The Bridge on FX it really is worth checking out, this season started out a bit slow but things are coming together in really interesting ways now. If you watched the first season and got turned off by the serial killer story line and dipped after that, you should know this season is pretty different and does not at all revolve around a serial killer. The show itself isn't on The Wire or Breaking Bad levels of greatness, but I'd say it's a relatively small step down from those shows.

The setting (El Paso/Juarez) is definitely interesting and pretty different from any other show on TV and they have created a lot of great characters. For example, the Cartel leader in the show, played by Ramon Franco, is not some fancy suit and tie wearing motherfucker, but is actually a pretty blue collar type guy with some strange little quirks that are a bit different than how drug lords are usually portrayed. Matthew Lillard also has a great role as an alcoholic journalist who works with Emily Rios (Andrea from BB and apparently a big Sage Francis fan) and their chemistry is pretty awesome. Lots of other great actors and actresses, including Ted Levine who I always enjoy seeing. Sadly it got a pretty late renewal last year and this seasons ratings have dropped about 30% so it doesn't seem too likely that FX will renew it, but it's totally worth watching it just for this season alone.

If you want to check it out but don't want to have to watch the entirety of season 1, especially if you are bored with or just don't like serial killer story lines, you could just watch the first and last 2 episodes of the season without being confused about the goings on in season 2. You can always go back later and watch the middle episodes if you start craving more. I definitely recommend it though and I hope FX will still give it another season, because I think it could find its audience again if they stick the landing this season and release the show on some streaming platforms.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:00 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

What are you going to do with this information?
Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:35 am
xGasPricesx

Nothing. If I had any intention of using it for some questionable purposes I wouldn't have even asked, I'm sure I could just browse through people's post history and find it out that way. I was mainly just curious to know the general range because of how conversations about certain topics often go down here. There's definitely an age gap in cultural knowledge and tastes between me and the majority of posters here, I guess I'm just curious how much of that might be due to age and what those age differences are.

I work on and off in the restaurant industry on the side to make extra money, so I work a lot with people both much older than me and teenagers. It's interesting to see how those age differences play out in various ways, kids that are 10 years younger than me often feel like they come from a totally different country. Just as an example, they were toddlers when 9/11 happened, whereas I was in my early teens, so they don't really have any conception of America before that, and I only have mine through the rose tinted lenses of childhood. Then there are the older staff and management who were adults when that happened, so they have totally different views of what the country was like before that event.

I guess I'm just fascinated by all these little differences that a few years can make, hard to explain exactly why, I am just really interested in how people view and interpret things and the reasons behind why they see it the way they do. I think age is one of the easiest factors to really pin down in that respect, it certainly isn't some magical thing that once you hit certain ages you all of a sudden have this specific clarity, but the time you grew up in obviously has a major impact on the person you become.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:01 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

The day I joined this forum, Brazil defeated Germany in the Japanese world cup soccer....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2002#June_30.2C_2002

And Ted Williams was still alive...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_2002#July_5.2C_2002
Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:47 am
xGasPricesx

And a couple days later nicotine water was banned. I had no idea that was ever even a thing in the first place.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:56 pm
Plum Puddin'

Iím young enough to imagine that Iím too old to remember.

Too young to understand that Iím old enough to know better.

Geriatric eyes on a baby face.

Come fight me.

Comfort me.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm
xGasPricesx

I know now what I knew then. But I didn't know then what I know now.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:23 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I never knew nictoine water existed, either.
Funny that it was banned, but eCigs are all the rage.
It's nicotine water that gets vaporized.

http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/index/2014/7/30/up-in-vapor

I saw a news clip about teenage smoking being under 10% for the first time.
I thought that was good to hear.

Big tobacco is trying hard to get the kids to catch the vapors.

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 pm
Plum Puddin'

T-Wrex wrote:

I saw a news clip about teenage smoking being under 10% for the first time.

Kids today.

What a bunch of pansies.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:15 pm
Flossin

Days away from 29.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 am
anomaly
Loserface

closer to 40 than 30 at this point
Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 am
DeadAwake

26 years of age.

I've said to some people there is no way one would be able to convey the atmosphere of your own time, the decade you grew up in. Sometimes, I greatly enjoy reading about and looking at pictures from bygone eras of simple times.

Often i regret, or just plainly dislike, how i grew up. Being socially inept and escaping to video games instead of toughening my emotional skin and working out a direction for my life. At least finding 'my' vocation. So whenever i see people who done something with themselves or socially developed people it makes me feel immature and envious. Which is pretty often. Less so now though, its more regret and shame.

I agree and in the past have downplayed its significance. Someones younger years from 0-20 or so are the years in which how one sees the world, is defined, more or less. How someone interacts with others, receives impressions, responds (or reacts) with feelings etc. Our formative years. Then in our years of adulthood onward, just subject us to a greater spectrum of impressions, in which we respond in our characteristic ways. Though there may be small, minor alterations in our character, it is very diffucult to change as we age. The environment (time/place) definitely leaves its signature in those early years.

Heres a short autobiography of Nikola Tesla:
http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla-article-my-inventions-i-my-early-life
http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla-article-my-inventions-2-my-first-efforts-in-invention
http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla-article-my-inventions-iii-my-later-endeavors
Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm
Limbs

The leftovers is a shitty show. Its like all the reasons why lost sucked in one pointless show.

I'm currently 31
Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next