Search
Register
NFL '12-'13 thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

FranktheP

Sage Francis wrote:
I'm not confident that they'll win the SB, but I think we can all agree that the Giants were awful this year.

I agree 100%. I was just being a smart ass. But I think of all the teams left the Pats have easily the best chance.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 am
Captiv8

poopsnack wrote:
I feel you, Captiv8. I love the Lions. They drafted like shit for sooo long. It is painful to watch them. There is a ton of talent on the team, but they are unruly and need better leadership.

Detroit as a city has a history of fucking things up. Kwame Kilpatrick is your case in point. But even if we look at sports, Joe Dumars has made idiotic moves with the Pistons (Darko instead of D-Wade?; Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson?), Matt Millen has created a legacy of shit for the Lions (though they really should be able to move past that now; I thought 2011 was a sign that this was finally happening), and Jim Leyland can get the Tigers to the World Series and then totally make an ass out of the team. The only consistently great sports team in Detroit is the Red Wings, which I guess is better than a lot of cities can claim. Back to football: I've also heard the Lions might be looking for another DE in Texas A & M's Damontre Moore, especially if Cliff Avril is inexplicably cut loose.

And Chip Kelly coaching the Eagles? Good fucking luck, man. I can never be easy to inherit a shitstorm. I'd wager we see Kelly back coaching a college team within three years.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 pm
organize

Captiv8 wrote:
poopsnack wrote:
I feel you, Captiv8. I love the Lions. They drafted like shit for sooo long. It is painful to watch them. There is a ton of talent on the team, but they are unruly and need better leadership.

And Chip Kelly coaching the Eagles? Good fucking luck, man. I can never be easy to inherit a shitstorm. I'd wager we see Kelly back coaching a college team within three years.

Not only that, but Chip predominantly ran a no huddle, spread offense at Oregon. Im not sure that is going to hold up in the league. Not to mention that Vick is like Joe Glass from punch out.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am
poopsnack

Chip to the Eagles could be OK. You have a mobile quarterback, and a possibility to pick up Geno from WVU in the draft as a backup/replacement for Vick. You have McCoy and Brice Brown for runningbacks, and Maclin and DeSean Jackson as your quick wide receivers. All of that is something Chip can use so his NFL formula isn't too unlike his NCAA one. I don't think he is going to be running 90 plays a game with the offense, but the Eagles will be interesting to watch.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am
phataccino

It will be interesting to say the least. I think he'll obviously modify the system he's used in Oregon somewhat, but the Eagles have more talent at the skill positions than most of the teams looking for coaches this offseason and I expect it to work. This was an interesting read: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems
Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 am
Captiv8

phataccino wrote:
It will be interesting to say the least. I think he'll obviously modify the system he's used in Oregon somewhat, but the Eagles have more talent at the skill positions than most of the teams looking for coaches this offseason and I expect it to work. This was an interesting read: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

That was a very interesting read, indeed. It almost makes me think Kelly can succeed in the NFL. I'd actually really love to be proven wrong in the matter, and I'm sure Eagles fans everywhere would be thrilled. I still don't think the Eagles can win with Vick though. And Foles has declared himself incapable of making the read play (which is a stupid thing to admit publicly). Word on the street is that Geno Davis is going very early, and possibly first, in the draft, so I don't think the Eagles will be getting him. I love looking at mock drafts, trying to figure who's going where.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

Also, and I realize this is still college, but has anyone been following the Manti Te'o dead girlfriend hoax thing? Shit is just bizarre. The more information that comes out about it, the more it seems like either Te'o is delusional and/or somebody has perpetrated one of the most unnecessarily elaborate hoaxes ever, for little to no reason. You can listen to most of the ins and outs here:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8852693

Meanwhile, Notre Dame has managed to keep the wee issue of possible sexual assaults out of the national media spotlight. Given everything that went down at Penn State, it seems strange that Notre Dame would kind of casually push this under the rug. You'd think they'd want everything above board, but I guess their logic is that no criminal charges were warranted, and thus none were filed. I don't know. It seems shady at best.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2012/12/04/why-i-wont-be-cheering-for-old-notre-dame/
Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 am
Shika
shy wench

I look foward to see what Chip Kelly can do with the team. Any coaching change is welcome at this point. Biggest issue is the Eagles have no starting quaterback. Vick will likely be cut, Foles doesn't look like a starter yet and it's a weak draft class for QBs.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am
Captiv8

What a game between San Fran and Atlanta! I honestly thought the Falcons were going to snatch this one away, but lo, the 49ers held strong when it mattered most. If you're going to come at me with some "But that was pass interference on 4th down!" shit, don't. Dude was jammed on a 4-yard route. Plus, it evened out the atrocious drop that was ruled a completion. Great win for Kaepernick and the boys. Just because I don't give a shit about the other side, I'd like to see the Harbaugh Bowl. We'll see. Should be good.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The Pats got slappppped. Up and down. All around.
Lost a couple key players. But also got smacked up.
Such an ugly game.
I was holding out hope that there would be a miraculous run at the end of the 4th quarter, but I also had to admit to myself that it wouldn't feel good if they somehow came out with a win. They clearly didn't deserve this one.
Congrats to the Ravens.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:14 pm
Captiv8

Did not expect this result. I thought it could go either way, but I thought it would be close. Looks like a story of turnovers. That was not playoff-caliber Tom Brady.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I think he was doing great for most of the game. He wasn't getting much help from the receivers though.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 pm
redball

Nope, that was defense. All season teams claimed to be ready for the Pats constant no-huddle. The Ravens were the first team to live up to that claim. Notice how there weren't lots of shots of confused linebackers looking to the sideline for a play call? Or tired defenders wheezing as they had to run down the field? Pair that with a competent offense that made some great half-time adjustments and that's the game.

Oh, and Stevan Ridley got what he deserved. Maybe next season he won't try lowering his helmet on a defender like that. He turned a clean, safe tackle into a concussion. What a moron.

Ridley aside, I don't think that the Pats lost so much as they were beaten. They played a good game but they were simply outplayed. In the second half especially, they were outplayed on both sides of the ball.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:25 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Maybe I'm remember wrong, or looking through Pats-tinted glasses, but it seemed like that when they went into the no huddle offense they usually found a good groove. There were mishaps though. No doubt. And, yes, the Ravens defense was beastly, but that's no excuse for the constant drops from the receivers. Even with Ray Lewis mostly being a non-factor.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 am
Captiv8

Ray Lewis led the team and game in tackles.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Brady threw like 6 passes into the dirt. It may have been good coverage but he was not on his game.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:50 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next