Register
Sage interviews Juan Deuce + Falside in the Prov Phoenix
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

SFR announcement

Sage interviews Juan Deuce + Falside in the Prov Phoenix  Reply with quote  

This was fun.

Read the full article here:
http://providence.thephoenix.com/music/143335-sage-francis-hits-up-juan-deuce-and-falside/

SAGE: I hate asking basic background questions, but I've known you guys for a couple years now and I still have no idea how or when you guys originally met. I don't think you guys come from the same town, so how did this union originally happen?

FALSIDE: We went to the same high school. I was the resident beat-boxer for gym ciphers and we were often in detention together, causing a ruckus. We started working on tunes after he graduated, my senior year.

JUAN: I linked with Fal through mutual parties after high school. We immediately remembered each other from school. We made around eight songs (some were put out, the others never made it off the hard drive). Fal left for Boston right after he graduated high school. We rarely spoke until we reunited around July/August 2010. The first track we collaborated on was "Mechanics," and we haven't stopped working since.

SAGE: Something that I think makes your music special is that you guys have such great chemistry, not just as artists but also as friends. I hope you don't mind me coining y'all as "The New Coreys of Hip-Hop." Who is the Corey Haim and who is the Corey Feldman of your group?

FALSIDE: I'm more of a Haim. At a young age I remember dreaming of becoming a Canadian child actor, fucking Alyssa Milano, and starring in cult classics. Juan and I both are determined to become A-list Tiger Beat heartthrobs (but without any fatal indulgences).

JUAN: I would consider myself a more brute version of Corey Feldman, for three reasons only: Goonies, Stand by Me, and The Lost Boys.

SAGE: Speaking of the Coreys, in their critically-acclaimed 1989 movie, Dream a Little Dream, they tell some girls to stop rapping because "it happened a long time ago." The genre was officially put on notice at that point. The goal forever forward has been to stay fresh and seem relevant. What do you intend on doing with your first official album to make movies from the '80s stop disregarding hip-hop as just a fad?

FALSIDE: We don't follow any micro-trends, and that makes the creative process more organic and enjoyable. It's fresh. We don't make music just for hip-hop fans, we make it for everybody.

JUAN: The plan isn't to dwell on what's "now." The plan is to contribute to what's next. The Coreys lived in the moment and, unfortunately, they got stuck there. Screw the Coreys for saying that! I want to change my second answer from Corey Feldman to Ted Danson. He's pretty with it.

SAGE: Last question for Juan. I originally thought you were Hispanic due to your name, but as it turns out you're a very hairy Italiano. What's the origin of the name Juan Deuce?

JUAN: The "Juan Deuce" moniker came about when I started listening to Redman. He would often shout out a street named "One Duece" on his albums, so I flipped the "One" to Juan and "Duece" to Deuce. I didn't want a name that would dictate my content.

All Juan Deuce & Falside material is available at:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=mechanics
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:15 pm
Disharmony

I always forget these guys are out there making interesting music. Anytime I see their name I remember to go listen to GUTS because that beat is the shit.
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:54 pm
SFR announcement

That song is one of my favorite rap songs of the past few years. It's way up there. The beat, mood & lyrics...all golden. Ill video to boot.

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 pm
Disharmony

SFR announcement wrote:
That song is one of my favorite rap songs of the past few years. It's way up there. The beat, mood & lyrics...all golden. Ill video to boot.

Agreed on all points. I dig his cadence a lot on guts. Also, I just like how the song doesn't need a chorus- just a sexy change up in the beat.
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:39 pm
poopsnack

I have never heard GUTS until tonight. Now I gotta go get that. Reminds me of Cage. Thank you.
Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:21 am

Jump to: