Search
Register
olympics thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

anomaly
Loserface

nothing like watching the Olympics and hating your body more than you already do
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:24 am
mancabbage

watching the mens gymnastics too eh?

when does the horse dancing start?? I FUCKING LOVE HORSE DANCING
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 am
Elorza

Definitely an on point quote via Granther.

Captiv8 wrote:
I'd almost rather have no fanfare for the Olympics, and then a big celebration once it's all over. There's this big fucking to-do like so many people care, when I think most people are more concerned with trifles and other bullshit. They might put the Olympics on while vacuuming or paying the bills, maybe even while making dinner, but it's not a serious sit down with the family over a bowl of popcorn kind of thing. It's a niche thing, where only hardcore sportophiles and actual athletes of the given event tune in.

From what I hear from interviews, news stories, athletes, etc. is that the Olympics is actually quite insignificant with regard to the actual sports, as every sport (or most, i can't say every, I don't know that) has a World Championship that is of far more importance, and holds much more legitimacy, than the Olympics. Whereas, like some have mentioned albeit sardonically, people across the globe turn it on (while vacuuming, while making dinner, while masturbating, etc.) rooting for (insert Granther's Quote here).

The most interesting thing in this regard that I'd heard was a sports commentator or something say how in every other world championship, in every other event, even, every single athlete says "I want to win. I want first". And that is what matters. Who gives a shit about second? Whereas for the Olympics the common expression is "I just want to medal."

I enjoy it. I'm never gonna go out of my way, really, to watch badminton or ping-pong or volleyball or swimming or anything really except boxing. So once every four years I have a god damn ball screaming at the top of my lungs "the cock is in! the cock is in, god damnit!"... at least outside of my bedroom, hi-ooooo.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 am
anomaly
Loserface

Elorza wrote:
once every four years I have a ...ball .. at the top of my lungs "the cock is in! the cock is in, god damnit!"...

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

DeadAwake wrote:
Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
DeadAwake wrote:
Partriotism and the Olympics go hand in hand. It re-inforces the boundaries that seperate the countries.

An aussie would say that

Well, it is not absolute, which is how i stated it. A case of " x doesnt x people, people do". But with family in 2 different countries i have witnessed first hand a sense of patriotism associated with it.

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:49 pm
Confidential

AdamBomb wrote:
DeadAwake wrote:
Partriotism and the Olympics go hand in hand. It re-inforces the boundaries that seperate the countries.

I'd argue that despite language and geographic barriers, we can all share a common bond in competitive spirit. Politics and rhetoric are left out and it just boils down to human beings doing incredible things at the highest level. It means something to compete in it and it means something to watch it.

I would argue that politics are always present, despite the veil of an apolitical event. We can choose to read the event politically or not, but it's always there.

Example: http://deadspin.com/5930048/nbc-responds-we-removed-the-opening-ceremony-memorial-to-terrorism-victims-because-the-tribute-wasnt-about-america
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:20 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Elorza wrote:

From what I hear from interviews, news stories, athletes, etc. is that the Olympics is actually quite insignificant with regard to the actual sports, as every sport (or most, i can't say every, I don't know that) has a World Championship that is of far more importance, and holds much more legitimacy, than the Olympics. Whereas, like some have mentioned albeit sardonically, people across the globe turn it on (while vacuuming, while making dinner, while masturbating, etc.) rooting for (insert Granther's Quote here).

I know this is true but I don't understand it. What exactly makes Olympic Soccer less important than the World Cup? They're both international soccer competitions that happen every four years. Maybe they should just give Olympic medals to whoever wins the World Cup, World Basketball Championships, etc.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:09 pm
Brynjar

Olympic soccer is for players 23 years old and younger.
They are allowed to have 3 players older then that but some choose not to.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 pm
adic

The consensus among American's seems to be the opening ceremony sucked...

I caught the first few minutes, and wasn't impressed very much. Kinda boring... then I changed the channel.

As for the actual games, I don't make it a point to watch, but if it's on TV I'll watch it every now and then. I actually watched badmitton for a while yesterday before I had to leave, it was slightly entertaining...
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:30 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Brynjar wrote:

I don't think this is true. This is the roster for the US women's team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_women%27s_national_soccer_team#USWNT_2012_Olympic_Roster

If 8 of the players at any given time have to be 23 or younger they won't even be able to start a team.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Brynjar

adic wrote:
The consensus among American's seems to be the opening ceremony sucked...

I caught the first few minutes, and wasn't impressed very much. Kinda boring... then I changed the channel.

Like anyone in America watched it all.
Please...
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Brynjar

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Brynjar wrote:

I don't think this is true. This is the roster for the US women's team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_women%27s_national_soccer_team#USWNT_2012_Olympic_Roster

If 8 of the players at any given time have to be 23 or younger they won't even be able to start a team.

"Associations affiliated with FIFA are invited to send their full women's national teams and men's U-23 teams to participate. Men's teams are allowed to augment their squad with three players over the age of 23."
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:38 pm
Jesse Custer

Elorza wrote:

I'd really like to see some sources for this.. Because I was under the impression that it was only the minority of sports included that this was the case. Stuff like football, sure.. but all the athletics and stuff? And various ridiculous sports that I never see on TV any other time of year?

Also, going down that route, surely TV time = sponsorship? So the Olympics might be an important contest to do well in for other reasons?

Sorry, I'm just not buying this argument yet, but you have got my interest...
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:50 pm
Prontoid

jakethesnake wrote:
DeadAwake wrote:
Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
DeadAwake wrote:

An aussie would say that

Well, it is not absolute, which is how i stated it. A case of " x doesnt x people, people do". But with family in 2 different countries i have witnessed first hand a sense of patriotism associated with it.

That looks like a front page for the Northern Territory News which is hands down the funniest paper in the world - every day they have something ludicrous on the cover - usually a Crocodile doing something - or someone doing something with a crocodile - or a horse that drinks beer - or today's headline which is "Why I stuck a Cracker up my Clacker" --> http://www.ntnews.com.au/popup/todays-paper.html

course the dudes sculling a beer with something that looks like a snake wrapped around it
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm
Prontoid

sorry to go off topic just this:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/07/31/312406_ntnews.html

A MAN who suffered serious burns when friends lit a firecracker in his bum says he was just showing his visiting mates a Territory good time.

Alex Bowden, 23, of Wagaman, Darwin, put a spinning "flying bee" winged firework in his butt crack during a party at a rented house on Rossiter St, Rapid Creek on Saturday night.

His mate Todd Lovell lit the fuse.

"I had a few lads up from Queensland and I had to put on a good show," he told the NT News from his hospital bed.

"I just had a few beers with the boys and let off a few firecrackers.

"And I put one in my arse."

Mr Bowden was wearing trousers at the time and took it standing up.

"It didn't burn my balls or my back," the fitter and turner said. "Just my fingers and my arse. "It was a pretty loose one, hey."

The cracker burned his bum cheeks, and his index, middle, and ring fingers on his right hand - which he used to pull the cracker from his crack.

Mr Bowden was not bleeding after it and he could walk afterwards.

His mate Reece McEwen said: "He screamed a little bit and there were a fair few f-words".

But Mr Bowden denied that there were tears.

"You can't sit here crying," he said.

His sober mate then drove him to the Royal Darwin Hospital burns unit where he is expected to remain for a few days.

He was in a stable condition last night.

His only request was "a big shout-out to the boys in Dalby" - the Queensland town where he grew up.

Mr Bowen said his mother "thought it was funny".

"It's not as bad as everyone is saying," he said.

The police confiscated the fireworks when they arrived at the house.

But the party could expect a $282 fine from NT Police for setting off fireworks outside of Territory Day.
[/b]
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next