Search
Register
olympics thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

reckoner34

Cant wait to watch some Men's Bball on Sunday. That's the only thing that excites me about the Olympics. That and swimming.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:30 pm
Captiv8

I am rooting for the US women's soccer team, especially after that hard loss to Japan in the World Cup.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:46 pm
DeadAwake

Partriotism and the Olympics go hand in hand. It re-inforces the boundaries that seperate the countries.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:32 am
Charlie Foxtrot

DeadAwake wrote:
Partriotism and the Olympics go hand in hand. It re-inforces the boundaries that seperate the countries.

An aussie would say that
Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:44 am
Brynjar

It's mindbogging that in 2012 I can't watch the opening ceremony legally online.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 am
AdamBomb

DeadAwake wrote:

I'd argue that despite language and geographic barriers, we can all share a common bond in competitive spirit. Politics and rhetoric are left out and it just boils down to human beings doing incredible things at the highest level. It means something to compete in it and it means something to watch it.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 pm
english bob

mlanifesto wrote:
Seemed like Boyle had some good ideas, a bit for the NHS, Abide With Me, all that good stuff. Proper wound up a few Tories. I'd say it was a job well done.

and the Mail were almost beside themselves.. http://botherer.org/2012/07/28/the-daily-mail-and-how-an-nhs-death-means-racism-is-fine/

Quote:

This was supposed to be a representation of modern life in England but it is likely to be a challenge for the organisers to find an educated white middle-aged mother and black father living together with a happy family in such a set-up.
Almost, if not every, shot in the next sequence included an ethnic minority performer. The BBC presenter Hazel Irvine gushed about the importance of grime music (a form of awful electronic music popular among black youths) to east London. This multicultural equality agenda was so staged it was painful to watch.

couldn't make it up

anyway, i wasn't too fussed about any of it either but it was an impressive opener. ticked a lot of the right boxes for me. Bond and the queen skydiving was ridiculous in a great way. but Mr Bean(?) really(?) i sometimes feel like i'm the only person in the world that can't stand mr fucking bean.. he really is the great leveler.

i went to Wembley yesterday to watch GBR vs UAE and Senegal vs Uruguay in the football. it was cool.. but the oddest football game i've been to. hardly felt like you were watching 2 (or 4 rather) international teams slug it out. don't really know how to describe it other than, there were a lot of casual people in the crowd who clearly weren't fussed about any result at all. but still, it was fun. that's my dose of olympics done. bring on the athletics events.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mancabbage

i often wonder if the people who write at the daily mail even believe their own bullshit? Surely they can't? They can form paragraphs and punctuate, surely talents such as that are above the kind of intellect that would believe the horrible shit they write? They're just trolls, I'm sure of it.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 am
Prontoid

I hate how much of my tax money (600 something million) goes towards something like the Olympics where 99% of the country could care less about 99% of the event. Australia dominates the Commonwealth Games and generally overachieves in the Olympics but so what? We spend way more per capita than most other nations, its pathetic.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 am
DeadAwake

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
DeadAwake wrote:

An aussie would say that

Well, it is not absolute, which is how i stated it. A case of " x doesnt x people, people do". But with family in 2 different countries i have witnessed first hand a sense of patriotism associated with it.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 am
phataccino

Nothing swells my national pride quite like some guy I've never heard of from a town I've never been to 3,000 miles away beating some other guy I've never heard of from a town I've never been to 15,000 miles away at a sport I've never participated in and don't really care about. USA! USA! USA!
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I'm sure other people have great ideas about how to create a worldwide athletics competition.

That should be a Gene Wilder meme but I'm too lazy and at work.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 am
Jack

Quote:

USA! USA! USA!
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 am
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

I find this description of the olympics to be pretty on point:

"We are about to enter that period, which occurs every four years, when Americans become passionate about athletes we have never heard of participating in games we do not follow trying to please judges we cannot see according to rules we do not know."
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 am
Confidential

I saw some of the women's gymnastics last night. It felt like one step away from childrens pageantry, only with more talent.
Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:56 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next