Search
Register
Brother Ali arrested in Minneapolis, 2012/06/21.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Jesse

bigsole wrote:
from a semantic standpoint i see what you mean, maybe for 2012 it should be updated "revolution is not showing people how to live, its being w/ the people and engaging in revolution " (doesnt have quite the same ring to it) you gotta understand the context of the book, http://libcom.org/library/the-revolution-of-everyday-life-raoul-vaneigem this was written around 68 in france and the basic gist of what this dude is saying is that you need to look inward and "be the change you want to see in the world" and not be a dictator telling people how to live, what to do, what revolution is, etc. you have to start with yourself. the book itself doesn't take on a paternalistic standpoint.

being w/ the people and not a father figure is exactly how i interpret that statement. from an activist standpoint its about being a part of the action people are engaged in, and not putting yourself above it.
Okay word, I like this explanation more!
Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:16 am
Mark in Minnesota

Brother Ali recently wrote the following on Facebook:

Quote:

Got up bright and early this morning to join my fellow arrestees in court. We were arraigned on Trespassing charges for our demonstration of solidarity for the Cruz family and everyday people across the country receiving unfair treatment at the hand of those in power. I'm not able to discuss the specifics yet but they offered us a variety of plea bargains and we got a continuance. We'll be back in court at the end of this month. The struggle continues and we've only just begun!

The crime he is charged with appears to be misdemeanor trespass per Chapter 609, subd. 605 of Minnesota statute.

From 609.033:

Quote:

"Misdemeanor" means a crime for which a sentence of not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $1,000, or both, may be imposed. Elsewhere in the chapter there is language which elevates this to a gross misdemeanor (which has a maximum fine of $3,000) if there are repeat offenses.

Beyond the fine he could also be asked to pay restitution, either to the victim (assuming here that PNC Bank would have to demonstrate that the trespass itself created costs for them, independent of the protest), or to the city and state for their costs in arresting and charging him in the first place. He could also be ordered to do community service or similar.

I was reading on the Occupy Homes MN blog and apparently one of the earlier groups arrested for the same thing got charged with riot, disorderly conduct, and obstruction of justice as well as just trespassing. I find myself wondering whether that escalation of charges is part of what prompted Brother Ali to get himself arrested during this latest action. His "local celebrity" status presumably helps to encourage restraint in the police and prosecutors tasked with responding to the crimes activists have been committing during these protests.
Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3