Search
Register
Brother Ali arrested in Minneapolis, 2012/06/21.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

AdamBomb

Whatever the case, I hope Brother Ali's next album is a lot more aggressive than the last one. I want less sing songy preaching to the church and good times and more pissed off, fight the power and kick some ass. Im too pissed off, myself to enjoy all this sunshine and positivity in my hip hop. I hope after he got home from jail, he punched a hole in the wall and scribbled down some angry rhymes with his bleeding hand.
Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:31 pm
anomaly
Loserface

There's going to be mention of his time in the big house in at least 3 songs with 1500 tweets about it. And all preachy, on some next level, more humane than thou tip.
Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm
Jack

I wasn't going to go there but since others have I will too. Dude is already too preachy to listen to at all. So honestly, i wouldn't care much about an arrest like this for most artist, but Brother Ali is an exception.

Amen
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 pm
mancabbage

Ali's a geezer. nothing fishy here
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:52 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

"revolution is not telling people how to live, its showing them." -raoul vanaheim
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 pm
Jesse

bigsole wrote:
"revolution is not telling people how to live, its showing them." -raoul vanaheim
Kind of a paternalistic vision of revolution, isn't it?

It seems to me that a bigger part of revolution than telling or showing the people anything is BEING the people.
Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am
sarah q

Jesse wrote:
bigsole wrote:

It seems to me that a bigger part of revolution than telling or showing the people anything is BEING the people.

I kind of think that's what this quote actually means, is showing by example or by being. I think being the people is showing the people, as in the people who aren't part of it or who aren't participating. But we're all going to interpret this quote how we want to. I definitely don't find this to be paternalistic, I find people who tell other people what they need to be doing in a movement much more paternalistic, or patriarchal than people who try to lead by example.
Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 am
sarah q

Mark in Minnesota wrote:

I don't think they were an abuse of power; rather, I think the protesters expected to be arrested and felt that if it happened the result would be a potent image of Minneapolis police protecting an out-of-state bank at the expense of a poor family. Whether Brother Ali's involvement has overshadowed the Cruz family situation or merely called needed attention to it remains to be seen, but I suspect the net benefit to the family is positive.

- Is the timing of Brother Ali's arrest suspect given the approaching release date for his next album? Should fans of his consider this to be a publicity stunt or dismiss it as a coincidence?

- Ali was arrested while wearing a T-shirt advertising labelmate I Self Devine's new album The Sound Of Low Class Amerika, released on May 8th. The album has a lot of songs calling attention to these same sorts of injustices. Was Ali's choice of clothing a conscious attempt to raise awareness of the album or just a coincidence?

Wow. You are really micro analyzing something that really isn't that big of a deal. Brother Ali is not that famous, like I know a lot of people who have heard of him, but I know a lot more who haven't. This isn't like Lupe Fiasco at Occupy Wall Street. The Cruz family situation has been publicized, but not that greatly. This is really a small story in the grand scheme of the U.S. media news cycle.

Protestors rarely know when they're going to get arrested. Rappers tend to wear a lot of label/rapper shirts. Jared Paul is almost always wearing a Sage Francis/PFA/SFR/Jared Paul t-shirt. It's not a publicity stunt, those are just a majority of the shirts he owns and like. If he got arrested in one (which isn't highly unlikely), it wouldn't be a premeditated publicity stunt, just a highly probable coincidence.

And, other than on this forum alone, I really, really, really, really, really don't think Brother Ali's arrest is overshadowing the Cruz family situation. The Cruz family story has been on my Facebook news feed for weeks, the only person who even posted the Brother Ali arrest story was Jared and it hardly got any attention.

This really is not that big of a deal.
Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 am
anomaly
Loserface

sarah q wrote:

This really is not that big of a deal.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:27 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

Rap's a very ego driven thingy. Rappers like ta come up with really self aggrandizing, romanticised versions of themselves based on the looking lass self. " I want others to see me as... " or " I see myself as " insert whatever here and there. Sure a celeb can bring attention to a cause, but sometimes who cares what celebritites think?

I'm tired of arm chair activists and lifestyle activists who in part just want to be seen as bad ass rebellious protesting mo'fos. Around here we call it " getting your activist stripes " The more times an activists been in the paper and photgraphed and interviewed and made rap videos about " the plight " the less I care to pay attention.

We got gangster rappers, backpack rappers, and we got activist rappers. Most of em are stuck up their own assholes and really full of shit. No comment on Ali, I think he likes to talk to be heard and hear himself think. That's a neutral thing to me.
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:11 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Code:

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 pm
futuristxen

Jesse wrote:
bigsole wrote:

I like that.
Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:42 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

from a semantic standpoint i see what you mean, maybe for 2012 it should be updated "revolution is not showing people how to live, its being w/ the people and engaging in revolution " (doesnt have quite the same ring to it) you gotta understand the context of the book, http://libcom.org/library/the-revolution-of-everyday-life-raoul-vaneigem this was written around 68 in france and the basic gist of what this dude is saying is that you need to look inward and "be the change you want to see in the world" and not be a dictator telling people how to live, what to do, what revolution is, etc. you have to start with yourself. the book itself doesn't take on a paternalistic standpoint.

being w/ the people and not a father figure is exactly how i interpret that statement. from an activist standpoint its about being a part of the action people are engaged in, and not putting yourself above it.
Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:24 pm
Plum Puddin'

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
I like ta come up with really self aggrandizing, romanticised versions of myself.

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:59 pm
mancabbage

O shit
Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next