Search
Register
Future of the Left's Andy Falkous rips Pitchfork's Ian Cohen
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Bob_ptmfus

Future of the Left's Andy Falkous rips Pitchfork's Ian Cohen  Reply with quote  

I know a lot of you hate Pitchfork and especially dislike this reviewer (he's the one that gave Dan Le Sac and Scroobious Pip's album a 0.2). Andy Falkous is one of the funniest musicians out there, so this is especially gratifying. The practice of musicians responding to reviews with blogs is admittedly lame, but this deserves an exception.

The review:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16602-future-of-the-left-the-plot-against-common-sense/

The response:

http://futureoftheleftv2now.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/based-on-novel-of-same-name.html
Post Thu May 31, 2012 12:28 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I don't have any feelings toward this Ian fellow because I can't get through a single paragraph of his drivel before my ADD kicks in and I find something else to do. It's as if the only thing he learned in geometry was a tangent. Fail.

However, the response was worth the read and I actually learned more about the review from reading the response than reading what little I could forge through of the actual review itself.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 1:51 pm
Captiv8

All I know is that Sole doesn't like him.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 2:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

He's definitely on the list of the pieces of shits I'd like to meet before I die.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 2:12 pm
Jesse

I like mclusky.
I've never heard future of the left.
Pitchfork is often irritating but sometimes alright.
That review is mostly pretty good, but does pretend too much to omniscience and is the worse for it.
That response is enjoyably written but painfully self-important and tragically wounded for what it is in response to.

No-one comes out of this one smelling amazing, but whatever else may be terrible about Ian Cohen, and whatever else may be admirable about Andy Linkous, I'm going to give it to Cohen by just a hair in round one.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 2:52 pm
Inedible Condiment

I'm with Jesse. They both use big words and fancy hyphenations to make themselves sound smart - they are; but I can't help but feel like that review wasn't all that turrible, and the response comes off kinda petulant.

But hey, he disarms that argument from the get by admitting it seems passe (accent ague), right?
Post Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Inedible Condiment wrote:
I'm with Jesse. They both use big words and fancy hyphenations to make themselves sound smart

Wasn't his response a play on Ian's writing style?
Post Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I need to read more intelligent literary material, I guess. I got bored. The first guy reminds me of this dickhead boyfriend of a female friend of mine. He's pretty much a smug, conceited, hipster fucktard that acts better than everyone at the party. We all plot on ruining his whole everything one day. And we will.

The second guy was better to read. Enjoyed the response.

Me personally, I wish people in the blogosphere would write as they talk. Don't spit writtens on paper......let them flow naturally. Much better read than reading something someone put 20 minutes in per line to construct. Like stated above, it doesn't make the writer sound smart; it makes the writer sound like a saucy cunt.

But, maybe some are into that. Not I. I'm a purple vein dick and fartjokes kinda guy.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 pm
xGasPricesx

I still prefer Scroobius Pip's response.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:29 am
Dr Sagacious

Jesse wrote:
I like mclusky.
I've never heard future of the left.
Pitchfork is often irritating but sometimes alright.
That review is mostly pretty good, but does pretend too much to omniscience and is the worse for it.
That response is enjoyably written but painfully self-important and tragically wounded for what it is in response to.

No-one comes out of this one smelling amazing, but whatever else may be terrible about Ian Cohen, and whatever else may be admirable about Andy Linkous, I'm going to give it to Cohen by just a hair in round one.

I agree with you on Pitchfork. The rest, not so much. I haven't listened to future of the left, and this whole debacle probably won't tempt me to (despite that I think Falkous is pretty hilarious in his response to Cohen). But, after reading Cohen's review, and also some of his past reviews, I can definitely attribute victory in this here battle to Falkous.

Cohen complains about how he used to be a David Cross fan before he had this revelation that his whole schtick was ranting. I'd like to point out that what Cohen is doing here is just ranting. As Pip said in that song, "Making a mountain out of a molehill". But Pitchfork, not just Cohen, is usually adept at that sort of thing while casually disregarding obvious flaws in other artists, and purposely focusing on little details that hardly matter in material by artists such as Falkous and countless others.

One good thing Pitchfork is useful for is presenting music that I am otherwise too lazy to dig for on my own, even if the material has poor reviews, such is the case of "Angles". I just think, at least, half the Pitchfork staff needs to be slapped a bit.
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:59 am
Inedible Condiment

Sage Francis wrote:
I'm with Jesse. They both use big words and fancy hyphenations to make themselves sound smart

To be honest, I hadn't taken it that way, but I can see that being a fair assessment. I don't see that perspective as invalidating the idea that they're both using fancy words to sound smart. Maybe one in reaction to the other, but he's still using the same tools for the same goal. I'm not so scholarly as to analyze it further than that though, to be fair. Maybe I'm missing something.
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 pm
Jesse

Sage Francis wrote:
I didn't recognize it as being that, but I guess that would explain a thing or two.

The thing is I actually like grandiloquent prose - I mean part of what I love about rap is intricate and efficacious arrangements of lots of words, and it's not just confined to that.

People do a shitty job of it, though, and that gets humiliating to read. I thought both of these had some pretty painful moments, but I'm also aware that i'm a judgemental, smug, superior jerk about everything.
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Jump to: