Search
Register
Board Games
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Board Games  Reply with quote  

I've been on a board game kick lately. I just discovered Carcassone, which is quite fun.

Anyone have any favorites?

I also get my fill of Mousetrap and other kids games, so if anyone has any recommendations for good games for 4-5 year olds let 'em fly!
Post Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 pm
JohnSchwan

Stratego
Post Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 pm
Plum Puddin'

Have you seen the new monopoly where everyone has credit cards instead of brightly coloured cash?

And the banker has a swipey machine thing?

What the fuck Hasbro?

Post Wed May 30, 2012 7:29 pm
Woland

Re: Board Games  Reply with quote  

Yeah I dig board games.

Hellen Earth wrote:
I've been on a board game kick lately. I just discovered Carcassone, which is quite fun.

Carcassone is great. If you buy some expansions, the game becomes more difficult and interesting.

Ticket to Ride is a classic, we used to play it A LOT at my gf's summer cottage. We still play it, but not so often.

Balderdash's good too, but gets boring if you have played it a lot with the same people.

Dixit can be fun. It's a bit like Balderdash, but it's based on pics instead of words.

Thurn und Taxis is pretty cool. It's not as fun as Ticket to Ride, but there's more strategy involved.

Ubongo is fast and fun. It's the Tetris of board games.
Pack & Stack is also fast and entertaining, but has a lot to do with luck.

I need new games on the regular... 7 Wonders might be good for this summer.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 5:16 am
Captiv8

I'm a big fan of Cranium, Trivial Pursuit, and Monopoly. On the simpler end of things, Apples to Apples is fan with a good group of people, especially if they're drinking. Same with a lot of games, I suppose. Except Monopoly. Some people start treating it like it's their real life, which can get creepy.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 am
Dj Mayonnaise

JohnSchwan wrote:
Stratego
Post Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am
Elorza

Re: Board Games  Reply with quote  

Woland wrote:
Carcassone is great. If you buy some expansions, the game becomes more difficult and interesting.

Ticket to Ride is a classic, we used to play it A LOT at my gf's summer cottage. We still play it, but not so often.

Balderdash's good too, but gets boring if you have played it a lot with the same people.

Balderdash can be a lot of fun, and when you get bored with it you can switch over to Baldercraptalk wherein everyone makes up answers and the most enjoyable one wins. Does get tired after a bit, but good for a romp.

Carcassone is a great gateway into the world of Catan. Classic resource/shrewd trading/dice rolling baord game with expansions out the wazoo. I'll never forget my first game of Cities and Seafaring Barbarians...fantastic.

Ticket to ride is, shamefully, a game I've never played. For no Good reason. I hear it's very enjoyable though.

Forumula De is by far one of my favorite games. It is a Formula 1 racing board game that forces you to manage you resources (brakes, engine wear, tires, etc.) while shifting gears represented by increasing die sizes. There's probably a dozen maps for the original and there's an updated version with drift racing.

Arkham Horror (based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos) is... a lot of fun if you're into Lovecraft but fucking impossible to actually win. It's also at least a 2.5 hour game so strap in...I wouldn't recommend it.

Puerto Rico is a fun and ruthless game, another resource management game, but this time you're tryign to stock and sell goods, thwart your opponents while gaining the best advantage. Takes a few plays to become comfortable with, but goo once you get going.

Hero's Quest is kind of like Diablo meets the board. You can play with one player as the Game Master or you can play with a generated game master with some fan-made programs, but you run through dungeons, find treasure, kill the big baddy, save some people, fall into traps, and you can keep the same characters leveling up, or play any of the multitude of fan made dungeons. Good for the fantasy crowd which leads to...

Ravenloft/the other 2 Dungeons and Dragons Board games. While Hero's Quest is tough, if you stay together you're gonna be fine. D&D games are just ruthless from level 1. ti's a slow game and really more what the 4E mechanics were made for, so it's nice to see the clear iteration of the latest ruleset in a pure form, but it can get tedious. It's a once every few months type of game for my group.

Crack the Case is an oldy, more of a ponderous sort of game. It's just a deck of cards, each with different situations on them, you are given a certain amount of information, possibly 2 clues, a timer is set and you have to ask yes or no questions to get to the bottom of the case. It's a nice warm up for game nights, particularly if you play RPGs since it's entirely based upon lateral thinking.

Farkle is a strictly dice/betting game (not mponey, point betting) very easy to pick up, quick to play, lots of fun because of the risk/reward factor. There are a few other dice games (one is football, one racing, i think a golf game too) that are dice based and are also good warm-up games or just passing the time type games.

My pals and I made a fun little UFC type game with card based abilities, fighter stats, etc, and a game based on the "Battle Room" from Ender's Game which is just a hoot for us. It's quite fun to make games, and really a lot easier than you think.

Somebody recommend me something good. Anyone ever play Conspiracy? That one intrigues me.

Oh and Zombies!!! Zombie apocalypse tile based board game with cards for abilities/weapons and ish and many, many add-ons (zombie dogs, radioactive zombies, etc.). Long and requires a lot of table space, but a nice one to break out every now and again.

I like games.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 9:18 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Thu May 31, 2012 11:07 am
lacezilla

Risk original with the wood pieces and you will find me in Australia.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 3:15 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Ouija board.

Will I die a bloody murder, Moe?

Post Thu May 31, 2012 4:36 pm
Captiv8

Plum Puddin' wrote:
Have you seen the new monopoly where everyone has credit cards instead of brightly coloured cash?

And the banker has a swipey machine thing?

What the fuck Hasbro?

This image needs to be a t-shirt.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 pm
MCGF

SETTLERS OF CATAN

I cannot recommend this game enough. It manages to be both very social (you have to trade resources to win) and strategically interesting. The board changes every time you play it, so the game literally never gets boring.

I love Carcassone too.
Post Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Words Of Wiz-Dumb

http://www.amazon.com/All-Things-Equal-Inc-4102561/dp/B0002YDQ9Q

Great game. Lots of fun. Good way to make your grandma read a card out loud and say messed up words in front of the entire family.

Post Thu May 31, 2012 8:39 pm
tommi teardrop

Board games? Moar like bored games. Amirite?
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:13 am
Jesse Custer

CarcassOWNED!

That's tellin' em Tommi.
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:26 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next