Search
Register
Shambhala
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Shambhala  Reply with quote  

I just noticed that you posted in the Vintge thread. Didn't expect to see you around here, but I've been trying to keep an eye on your activities since the whole "I contracted Ebola and lived to tell about it" thing.

When I saw the news I couldn't believe it. I was on a plane to begin the world tour when your name popped up on my newsfeed. Anyway, cripes...I just want you to know that I'm so happy everything turned out OK for you. I know you're writing a book, but I'm curious about more than you can probably talk about at this moment. For now I just want to say hi. And I'm glad you survived. Heh.

Salute
Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:39 am
poopsnack

Damn, Sham. I was unaware and just read your twitter. Very happy you are OK, and excited to read your book!
Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:23 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

For those unaware:

http://m.livewellnebraska.com/ebola/ashoka-mukpo-s-statement-after-release-from-nebraska-medical-center/article_902b7192-5a05-11e4-97ba-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

I'm sure there are many stories after that one, but that's the first one I read when I was on my flight. Very interested in hearing more about this.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:10 am
Jesus Frank

Man. I've only known Shambala as one of the articulate posters on here, and this came out of nowhere (and in a way, everywhere).

Love the sentiments in the article. Glad you're well and will be glad to see an update.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:13 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

Location: " Bought a house next to Prince, now I can kick it "

Damn, stay well Sham!
Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 pm
shambhala

ha, shit. Just saw this. I actually checked out the forum at one point while I was still in a biocontainment unit (will NOT ever get used to saying that), to see if anyone here had noticed. Didn't know how 'on a first name basis' we all were here...

yeah, it was a pretty wild ride my dude. I knew that what I was doing was risky but I felt like I was being careful. To say that it was surprising to actually become what I had been covering would be an understatement. I still can't figure out how it actually happened, but I'm damn fortunate that it worked out the way that it did. Nothing can prepare you for something like that...nothing.

About two days before the universe unravelled, I was sitting in a hotel with a guy who shoots film for the New York Times. He'd been in Syria, Iraq, etc etc etc. I always had some impulse to do that kind of work but kind of thought better of it after Tim Hetherington died. I asked him how he dealt with the risk, and he said, "you kind of just play the odds."

Definitely replayed that convo a few times afterwards. Journalism can be a risky profession, but at the end of the day I don't regret anything. I lived. Still recovering and processing everything that happened, but in a weird way I think in the long run I'm going to be stronger and more empathetic for having been through all this. Getting that close to death definitely changes you.

The book thing is kind of up in the air...I'm working with an agent to see if we can drum up some interest; I don't want to write some corny memoir type of thing, but would love to do something that gives people a kind of humanized insight into Liberia and what people went through in fighting and surviving Ebola. It was a crazy, crazy time. The whole thing just happened overnight. If you had told me a year ago that I would have been on the Today Show as an Ebola survivor I would have laughed. It still all seems so surreal.

Anyway, nice to hear from y'all. I definitely check in from time to time to see how the familiar 'faces' are doing. I saw the Phoenix article about you last summer, it was good to know that you're still making music. Life throws you for a loop sometimes but all we can do is dust off and move on, right?

Any questions, fire away. Happy to talk about whatever.

ps Happy New Year yall. 2014 was fuckin rough, lets hope that 2015 is the beginning of some kind of change for the better on all fronts.
Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:23 pm
PatrickBateman

Did your near death excursion make you drastically change anything about the way you live?
Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mancabbage

damn, thats crazy. glad you're doing ok
Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:49 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

whoa. glad you are ok. looking forward to hearing more about this experience.
Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:11 am

Jump to: