Search
Register
CRISHAUN “CECE” MCDONALD
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:

I've yet to see this on the cover of any paper. Good ole clean scrubbed homey Mn and it's shelterness wont have it it seems, or they dont feel its " news "

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
C.R.A.Z.Y

ha ha no offense but the city pages is not a paper. it's mostly ads for restaurants and movies, and entertainment. you can buy hookers out of the back. it's read by a very small audience. no one but liberals read it, it's only distibuted in certain neighborhoods the ad buyers want to reach, and if it's the only local coverage, then it's preaching to a choir already singing the song.

daps to them for covering the incident, i missed that cover...but let me correct myself, this is not a topic of discussion in the local media. there. corrected.

i dare the strib or pioneer press to start covering the case.

i live here, and the only time i heard of this was when i walked past a flier on a pole outside of the saloon one night, and here on the sfr forum and thats not even mpls.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:29 pm
Mark in Minnesota

MPR gave enough airtime to the issue that I had heard about it before SFR artists had made an issue of it, in spite of the fact that I don't listen to much MPR. The Star Tribune has also covered the case, at least to the limited extent of articles on its website and in its back pages. I don't read the Pioneer Press. TV coverage of the issue has sucked as far as I can tell, but on the other hand local TV news coverage sucks pretty uniformly in this town.

That said: this whole thing just isn't really front page news as far as I'm concerned, because I see it primarily as a rule of law issue and as a LGBT issue only secondarily.

The "preaching to the choir" City Pages coverage is how I came to a conclusion that the charges against McDonald were justified and that jail time is an appropriate consequence for what she did, in spite of the fact that she was the victim of a hate crime and that Schmitz and Flaherty both behaved contemptibly that night. The fact that our criminal justice system has been fucking up their treatment of McDonald as a transgendered prisoner sucks and needs to be fixed, but McDonald had a duty to retreat that night and did not exercise it. Dean Schmitz's homicide was a crime.

To me the appropriate way to support Cece is to advocate for reforms so that she can serve out her sentence in safety and with dignity, and to advocate for justice being served in the felony assault charges against Mary Flaherty in connection to that incident. Had Schmitz lived, I would support charges against him as well but this is really moot at that point. He's dead, it's a direct consequence of his own hateful actions that night, and even though I think his killer needed some prison time, I don't really feel sorry for him in the slightest.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 pm
futuristxen

Mark in Minnesota wrote:

To me the appropriate way to support Cece is to advocate for reforms so that she can serve out her sentence in safety and with dignity,

This. There's a lot of advocacy nationally on this front, but not really enough has been done obviously. The lack of standardized procedures for the justice system in dealing with transgender individuals is amazing. I remember during OWS there was a story about a transgender kid being chained next to a bathroom and humiliated constantly, because the NYPD of all places, had no standard procedures for dealing with that situation in place.

That's why it's amazing when you see transgender people at these protests where everyone gets arrested--because it is totally not the same stakes for them as everyone else. It's not the same cell they go into, even when it is the same cell.

Obviously when it comes to transgender rights you're pretty much talking about the bottom rung of anything anyone really cares about or does anything about--or can do anything about. We're a huge minority group and whenever a lawmaker does try to do something to help us, they pretty much get publically flogged over it.

Considering the glacial pace at which LGBT rights as a whole have been addressed, I don't expect equal rights in my lifetime.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2