Search
Register
CRISHAUN “CECE” MCDONALD
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

b. dolan
FBI agent

CRISHAUN “CECE” MCDONALD  Reply with quote  

Join me in Minneapolis on June 4th (Monday) to protest Cece’s sentencing!

I'm headed to Minneapolis and asking you to join me and the TRANS YOUTH SUPPORT NETWORK’s protests.

@ 1:30pm PACK THE COURTHOUSE WITH US
@ 10pm TAKE TO THE STREETS outside the HENNEPIN COUNTY JAIL.

I will be at both protests. See you there!

To my listeners, friends & supporters -

I’m currently in Utah, shooting a video for “WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?” an upcoming single from “HOUSE OF BEES VOL. 2″. The song, which some of you have heard on the road this year, deals strongly and directly with issues of homophobia in rap, social justice, and the need to take a stand and lend a voice to those struggles.

In the process of developing our video treatment, SAGE FRANCIS brought to my attention the story of CRISHAUN “CECE” MCDONALD, a transgender woman of color from Minneapolis who is currently defending herself against second degree murder charges for killing the man who attacked her.

You can read more about the details of the case here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8pzu8g03GTuWW9xYWFtSEJFZTQ/edit?pli=1), but suffice it to say it’s an incredible miscarriage of justice, and a heart-breaking example of the systemic discrimination facing people of color and LGBT folks on a daily basis.

In one of many examples of her unfair treatment, the judge in this case refused to admit into evidence the Swastika tattoo on the chest of Cece’s attacker, or his previous record of assaulting his ex-girlfriend and her 14 year old daughter. By way of contrast, a bad check that Cece was convicted of writing once has been entered as evidence.
Cece has accepted a plea agreement that forces her to give up her ‘self defense’ claim in exchange for a reduced sentence.

On JUNE 4TH, she will be sentenced. She will have a violent felony added to her record, and probably be given a sentence of three and-a-half years in prison, having already served a year since her arrest… all for defending herself against a hate crime.

I am currently working with a network of activists and friends in Minneapolis that include members of the STRANGE FAMOUS, RHYMESAYERS and DOOMTREE camps. We’re also coordinating closely with the TRANS YOUTH SUPPORT NETWORK, to draw attention to this case and the protests against it.

The plan is to make these demonstrations a central part of the video, and use the single and video to raise awareness of Cece’s story.

WE NEED YOU TO JOIN US ON THE FOLLOWING:

ON JUNE 4TH @ 10pm, CECE WILL BE SENTENCED, AND I’LL BE

FLYING OUT TO MINNEAPOLIS TO JOIN IN THE PROTEST.
WHERE: HENNEPIN COUNTY PUBLIC SAFETY FACILITY (JAIL)
WHEN: 1:30PM pack the courthouse! 10PM take to the streets!

It’s times like these when the political thought we all nod our heads to at rap shows needs to turn into organized action. We’re trying to get as many people out for both of these as possible, so please spread the word!

READ STATEMENTS OF SUPPORT FOR CECE MCDONALD FROM NUMEROUS NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND POLITICAL OFFICIALS: http://supportcece.wordpress.com/support-statements/

I know that our supporters in Minneapolis are some of the most fired up, engaged people we know and talk to anywhere in the world, and I thank you in advance for standing with me in response to this.
Stay on the battlefield,

B

Last edited by b. dolan on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 25, 2012 11:03 am
erich

is there a legal defense fund or anything? what can people not in MPLS do?
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:41 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

I'm planning on talking more about that w/ the folks at the Trans Youth Support Network when I see them this weekend. We'll probably release that information w/ the video.

As Cece is about to be sentenced, a legal defense fund may or may not be helpful at this point. My initial thought is that groups like the TYSN might be a good cause, to help organize in the city and prevent things like this from happening again. More on that soon though. I want to be able to talk to folks working on the case / this issue and see what they think is most helpful going forward.

For now their focus has understandably been raising awareness of Cece's case and packing these protests.
Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 am
Jesse

Really glad that you're doing this full force, b.
Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:06 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesse wrote:
Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am
Limbs

icarus502 wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:30 pm
3flip

A stand your ground law would have come in handy.

edit:

I don't want to come across as a one sentence smart ass. What specifically are you fighting for? Under Minnesota State law, unless she did indeed attempt to flee, she is breaking a law. I personally believe she should be allowed to stab this motherfucker in this situation. I do not believe she should have had the legal obligation to flee. Is that what we are fighting to overturn?
Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 pm
Jesse

3flip wrote:

edit:

I don't want to come across as a one sentence smart ass. What specifically are you fighting for? Under Minnesota State law, unless she did indeed attempt to flee, she is breaking a law. I personally believe she should be allowed to stab this motherfucker in this situation. I do not believe she should have had the legal obligation to flee. Is that what we are fighting to overturn?
She did attempt to flee, after her face was punctured. Schmitz chased her down.
Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:04 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

3flip wrote:
edit:

Minnesota has a 'duty to flee' law, which is the polar opposite of 'stand your ground'... It means if you have a deadly weapon, and you're in a fight with someone, it's your duty to make sure no one gets killed.
Theoretically, 'duty to flee' laws are in place to prevent situations like the Trayvon shooting.

The argument is not against the 'duty to flee' law as such, it's against the fact that this is either not being designated as a hate crime, or it is being designated as a hate crime and the law is not equipped to handle that scenario.

The Judge wouldn't allow the swastika because he said it was 'prejudicial' evidence, i.e. irrelevant to the case, and the kind of thing that would cause a jury to dislike the deceased and therefore sway their opinion.

However, the swastika isn't 'prejudicial' when you factor in that witnesses heard him call Cece & co 'niggers', 'chicks with dicks', etc. and then a fight ensued. Neither is his record of assault.

I believe that all of these factors = hate crime, and the law needs to recognize that queer people are disproportionately likely to be killed in an attack like this.

"The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs has found that violence against LGBT people is up 23 percent, with people of color and transgender women as the most likely targets. Of the victims murdered in 2010, 70 percent were people of color while 44 percent were transgender women."

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2012/05/nbjc-stands-in-solidarity-with-cece.html

So, what's being argued here is that Cece, in this situation of attack, was facing disproportionately high odds of winding up dead. Not only is that something she knew, but it's something that statistics can prove to be true. The law should recognize the unusual threat she faced, and that it superceded her 'duty to flee' and increased her need to defend herself.

Whether or not you agree with that, we can also talk about the fact that she was interrogated without a lawyer present, held in a men's mental health facility in solitary confinement because she was Trans, and a slew of other facts surrounding the case.

The aim here is to raise awareness of what happened to Cece, boost her spirits and let her know people are thinking/talking about her, and most importantly to try & have an impact by supporting organizations like the Trans Youth Support Network so the LGBT community is less likely to find themselves in awful situations like this.
Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:31 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm proud of Chris Faraone at the Boston Phoenix for coming through with proper coverage while mainstream media continues to brush this story to the side:

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/onthedownload/archive/2012/06/04/sage-francis-atmosphere-b-dolan-amp-others-rally-behind-cece-mcdonald-trans-woman-who-was-targeted-amp-jailed-in-minneapolis.aspx
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:40 pm
Bring that Beat Back

Jesse wrote:
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:53 pm
Mark in Minnesota

This whole situation sucks. About the closest I can come to seeing this as a miscarriage of justice is if Molly Flaherty ultimately does less time in prison than Cece McDonald does. I guess I'd also like to know why the state waited so long before charging Flaherty.
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm
3flip

b. dolan wrote:
3flip wrote:
edit:

Minnesota has a 'duty to flee' law, which is the polar opposite of 'stand your ground'... It means if you have a deadly weapon, and you're in a fight with someone, it's your duty to make sure no one gets killed.
Theoretically, 'duty to flee' laws are in place to prevent situations like the Trayvon shooting.

The argument is not against the 'duty to flee' law as such, it's against the fact that this is either not being designated as a hate crime, or it is being designated as a hate crime and the law is not equipped to handle that scenario.

The Judge wouldn't allow the swastika because he said it was 'prejudicial' evidence, i.e. irrelevant to the case, and the kind of thing that would cause a jury to dislike the deceased and therefore sway their opinion.

However, the swastika isn't 'prejudicial' when you factor in that witnesses heard him call Cece & co 'niggers', 'chicks with dicks', etc. and then a fight ensued. Neither is his record of assault.

I believe that all of these factors = hate crime, and the law needs to recognize that queer people are disproportionately likely to be killed in an attack like this.

"The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs has found that violence against LGBT people is up 23 percent, with people of color and transgender women as the most likely targets. Of the victims murdered in 2010, 70 percent were people of color while 44 percent were transgender women."

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2012/05/nbjc-stands-in-solidarity-with-cece.html

So, what's being argued here is that Cece, in this situation of attack, was facing disproportionately high odds of winding up dead. Not only is that something she knew, but it's something that statistics can prove to be true. The law should recognize the unusual threat she faced, and that it superceded her 'duty to flee' and increased her need to defend herself.

Whether or not you agree with that, we can also talk about the fact that she was interrogated without a lawyer present, held in a men's mental health facility in solitary confinement because she was Trans, and a slew of other facts surrounding the case.

The aim here is to raise awareness of what happened to Cece, boost her spirits and let her know people are thinking/talking about her, and most importantly to try & have an impact by supporting organizations like the Trans Youth Support Network so the LGBT community is less likely to find themselves in awful situations like this.

right on. thanks for the explanation.
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:40 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

Just posted this on the FB wall, but figured some folks would be interested here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/bdolanSFR/posts/10151023951875777?ref=notif&notif_t=like

For those seeking updates, yesterday's protests in Minneapolis were extremely intense and eventful. I was joined by Toki Wright earlier in the day, and Slug for the noise demo at night, and we engaged in a day of resistance and support for Cece McDonald along w/ hundreds of other members of the LGBT community and allies.

Notably, transgender activist Leslie Feinberg was arrested during the protests, and I'll have more updates / footage / coverage of that and the Cece case to follow. Expect a full report / new video along w/ the release of "WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?" in the next few weeks. Thanks again to everyone and especially Sage Francis (for bringing the case to my attention), Slug and everyone @ Rhymesayers for their support, and the large number of videographers we've worked with on this project. Also to Klepticenter Productions for their work on this and all the recent videos. #SOLIDARITY #FREECECE
Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

No one in MPLS hardly is supporting Ce Ce 'cept for the LGBTQ orgs. and a few others, but it gets little to no coverage here. Only reason I knew of it was a flyer on a phone pole in the gay bar district. MPLS seems liberal as all get out, but in general black women get " sent to the back of the line " round here, and black women who have or had penises? Well... yeah.

The general public vibe in MN is " Liberal Pro Gay " but when it comes down to it, being black, being trans, well, people here would rather just say no to a marriage amendment and then sit back satisfied they " did something " for the gay community.

And the perception in MN is that a black trans woman is a hooker too. Not saying ce ce was one, but she'll be treated with/is being treated with as much care as one attacked by a john.

I've yet to see this on the cover of any paper. Good ole clean scrubbed homey Mn and it's shelterness wont have it it seems, or they dont feel its " news "

I'm glad big raps cats like SFR and RSE and DT will get involved and bring some light to this injustice.
Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next