Search
Register
Moving to Chicago
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Anti.Agent036

Moving to Chicago  Reply with quote  

Moving to Chicago (from AZ) in August with the wife and kid. Anyone have a general idea of the cost as far as a 16' Uhaul, fuel, food, etc.? I'm REALLY dreading this, and almost thinking about selling everything and flying there. We really only have a sofa and a chair (not even a loveseat), a dining room set which is nice, but aint much, a bedroom set which I got for super cheap.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 10:25 pm
Raoul DeGroot

No way dude. Sell um.
That kinda trip would easily eat up $3000 smackeroons. They charge by the mile on top of th 10 gpm fuel lack of economy.

Buy some new better stuff at th Chicago Ikea
Post Thu May 24, 2012 10:38 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Sell it, if its not awesome stuff that you can't part with, save yourself the headache.

You're moving here at the perfect time, Chicago in summer is gorgeous. Chicago in winter however, is another story.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Way expensive for a uhaul. I just moved my friend 400 miles and it was almost 600 bucks. Safe yourself the hassle and just sell the bedroom set and buy another one imho.

11 mpg x 2000 miles x 3.75 = not worth it for a dining set unless you're really attached to it
Post Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 am
Captiv8

I agree with the "sell it and fly" sentiment. It'll be way easier for you that way, and then you can rebuild your palace when you get there. Where are you moving to in Chicago? Pretty much anywhere is a pretty penny.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 am
mzehe916

I'm moving to Zurich this summer and asking myself the same thing. I just don't know yet.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 am
Captiv8

mzehe916 wrote:
I'm moving to Zurich this summer and asking myself the same thing. I just don't know yet.

I've heard it's far less sterile than Geneva, but I don't know. Why Zurich?
Post Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 am
Eric B

Would a POD, or other container shipping service, be a cheaper option?
Post Fri May 25, 2012 12:42 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

My wife and I are moving to Albuquerque from Michigan in about two and a half weeks. We've looked into PODS and they had flexible options regarding time frames for pick up and loading but they are incredible expensive. Close to 3k for about three rooms worth of storage. Give em a call for a quote but I didn't think it was worth it. Plus I don't feel comfortable letting strangers take all of our possession for 3-5 days with us not being able to have access to them.

We decided to go with a 16' Budget truck. They're the best deal we could find for our budget. I'll be towing one of the cars and my wife will follow in the other. With the tow dolly and having the truck for one week it was a little under $1,300.00 with unlimited miles. We're only going to get about 7/10 miles per gallon but I think it's a better deal in the long run.

I hope your move goes well. Chicago is an awesome city. We'll be in ABQ for about a year then hopefully we'll be able to get back to the mid-west or the north-east.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 1:38 pm
Anti.Agent036

Captiv8 wrote:
I agree with the "sell it and fly" sentiment. It'll be way easier for you that way, and then you can rebuild your palace when you get there. Where are you moving to in Chicago? Pretty much anywhere is a pretty penny.

My wife reminded me about the TV's (which I got for free from my father-in-law anyway) - so I'd have to buy new ones too. So that sucks. It's not Chicago, it's actually the southwest burbs (maybe Tinely Park, Orland Park, Palos Heights), but not 100% which yet. I'm paying about $1200 for a 2-bedroom apt in AZ, but I'm trying to keep the new place under a thousand.Trying to save some money. We'd prefer a condo/townhome, but so far, no luck.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 2:11 pm
Anti.Agent036

zagadka wrote:
Sell it, if its not awesome stuff that you can't part with, save yourself the headache.

You're moving here at the perfect time, Chicago in summer is gorgeous. Chicago in winter however, is another story.

The way I see it, Chicago winters are horrible, but so are AZ summers. You cannot do a thing in the summer here, any you're pretty much confined to indoors. Plus, I haven't lived in a city with cold winters since I was a kid, and I kind've miss it.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 pm
xGasPricesx

Anti.Agent036 wrote:

I'm paying about $1200 for a 2-bedroom apt in AZ, but I'm trying to keep the new place under a thousand.Trying to save some money. We'd prefer a condo/townhome, but so far, no luck.

Damn, you pay $1200 for a 2-bedroom apt in Gilbert? Must be a nice place.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm
mzehe916

Captiv8 wrote:
mzehe916 wrote:

I've heard it's far less sterile than Geneva, but I don't know. Why Zurich?

Well, they pay great in Switzerland and taxes are relatively low (opposed to Germany). And I wouldn't mind living in the shadow of the Alps. This will be a better and more secure opportunity for me overall. I'm excited for sure.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm
tommi teardrop

Zurich felt like paradise when I was there for a few days.
Post Sat May 26, 2012 11:16 am
Anti.Agent036

Anyone use one of those movable storage companies like Pods, Packrats, or ABF?
Packrats quoted me $2890 for the container, the transportation, $25k in insurance, fuel, etc (pretty much everything), which sounds like a great deal. Pods was approx $3615. Thoughts?
Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Jump to: