Search
Register
Frakk Facebook
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Limbs

Frakk Facebook  Reply with quote  

(No Mark Ruffalo)

Are we seeing the devolution of social media? Are forums like these going to boom again?

I hope so.

Twitter probably has a few years left. And Reddit will probably stick around longer but I'm already tired of it. It's cool for browsing but nearly impossible to have interesting discourse on. But I may be a sucker for familiarity.

What about it?
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:03 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Facebook is currently the internet's town center.
Forums like these are boutique throwbacks.

Sites like Facebook will always be more popular because it focuses more on the "me" rather than contributing to a community. Which is fine. And, no, it's not a devolution of social media. However, G+ is. And that's why it's so full of fail.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 pm
Limbs

But isn't Facebook failing? I know the stocks are down. I don't know what that EXACTLY means because that talk makes my ears bleed but aren't more people becoming less trusting of it and leaving it?

I've just got this hunch. And maybe "devolution" isn't the right word but you know what I'm saying. Maybe this is just my wishful thinking too.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:22 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Facebook went "public" recently. If their stocks are down, they didn't go down by much. In fact, I've heard quite the opposite. All I know is what I experience online, and as someone who tries to stay hip to all social networks for the sake of my career and label, nothing is coming close to Facebook in terms of outreach and activity.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:39 pm
Limbs

Yeah, I assumed as much. And I actually was looking for your opinion on this specifically.

But... (like I said, ears + stock talk = bleeding ears)

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/21/markets/facebook-stock/index.htm

Or, eyes, as it were.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:46 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

The stocks are down because people are concerned that FB won't be able to steadily generate revenue. There are studies showing that the FB medium isn't a great marketing place, and even moreso as people move to mobile devices where FB ads are harder to place.

The profitability and stock fluctuation has nothing to do with the popularity of the service or the place social media has in society.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:56 pm
Limbs

Ahhh, that is where my ignorance is. Thank you.

I still think that Facebook is a hand full of fart stink that won't last much longer. Even though I have now less of a reason to think so.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:59 pm
mancabbage

they just went to market to the share price will fluctuate a bit until it settles. They might not have the money making part 100% down yet, but it'll come.

They are valuable as fuck just based on the information they hold. Every intelligence agency in the worlds wet dream. Right now theres a 20 year old on Facebook who will eventually be running for president, they're gona know alllll your shit.

I think if shit really hit the fan they'd just get rid of the (loosely enforced) ban on under 18's on there, or have them allowed to register but ring fenced somehow from any adult content. Do that and thats countless billions of new customers to throw ads at

Myspace and digg have proven themselves fads, but I dont think that means their 'ideas' were bad, they just didn't do it right.. kinda like yahoo, lycos, excite, ask, etc didn't do search right yet google did.

If I had any lump cash I'd drop a bomb load on their shares, poeple like to think they'll end up in the myspace bin when the next big thing comes around, I'm not so sure. I don't see them going anywhere.

A 65 year old impotent bitter at life Zuckerburg is gona be one scary motherfucker
Post Tue May 22, 2012 5:25 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i visited my g+ the other day in i dont know how long and it was all new again and just a big lumpy clusterfuck of shit going on that was all pointless

facebook , if you know how to use it correctly, is great and is here to stay for awhile and it provides me with all the info i need on everything, not just people i know, if you "like" the stuff you are into and connect all the stuff into the newsfeed, its a great collective spot for information
Post Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18180861

Quote:

Facebook and banks behind flotation face lawsuit

Facebook, its founder Mark Zuckerberg, and the banks leading its flotation are being sued by disgruntled shareholders.

A writ, filed in a Manhattan court, alleges that Facebook's revised growth figures were not disclosed to all investors.

US financial regulators have already said the Morgan Stanley may have questions to answer over the disclosure of information ahead of Friday's float.

The bank, lead underwriter to Facebook, said it fully complied with the rules.

The lawsuit claims that defendants concealed from investors during the flotation marketing process "a severe and pronounced reduction" in revenue growth forecasts.

It is the latest problem to dog one of the most anticipated stock market listings of recent times.

The flotation was disrupted on Friday by technical glitches on the Nasdaq stock exchange. The share price has since slumped amid worries that the company was over-valued by advisers marketing the float.

On Tuesday, the leading financial regulator in Massachusetts issued a subpoena to Morgan Stanley as part of an investigation into whether its analysts selectively disclosed revised revenue forecasts for Facebook.

Now, a group of investors has issued a class-action lawsuit alleging that Facebook revenues were revised down because of a surge in the number people using mobile devices for apps and connection to websites.

Morgan Stanley has not yet commented on the latest lawsuit.

On Tuesday, in response to the Massachusetts subpoena, said the company said it was "in compliance with all applicable regulations" and had "followed the same procedures for the Facebook offering that it follows for all initial public offerings".

Meanwhile, there was some good news at the start of trading on Wall Street, with Facebook shares up 3.4% at $32 shortly after the opening bell.

The shares listed at $38-a-share, and fell as low as $31 on Tuesday.

FB getting sued now after this incident.

And I'm still surprised Sage posts everything to G+ that he does FB. I feel kind of bad when I log in G+ to use their picture app (waaaayyy better than FBs) and I see a Sage post with like 4 +1's, and FB will have the same post with 200 likes.
Post Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 am
Dr Sagacious

The thing to watch going forward, learning from Facebook, is the point mentioned earlier about advertisement space, especially in regards to mobile apps. I think a lot of social media websites that want to both innovate and profit on the stock market once they go public are going to have to balance between ads and social content. They're going to find innovative ways to shove ads down your throat, and if Facebook wants to reverse the slide in the valuation of their stocks, they will find ways to smack ads in there without fucking up algorithms and the aesthetics. I think timeline has serious potential in all that nonsense due to the way it is set up.

Scrolling someone's timeline might look like:

- John just posted twenty five photos in his 'Cruise of the Caribbean' album"
- Would you like to book a Cruise with Fancy-pants Cruiselines?
- CHEAP HOTELS IN KINGSTON!
- John just commented on a status, "Lol, u mad cuz ur dick small"
- Sad because you're Libido just isn't up to snuff? Try Phizzler's new Male-Enhancement supplements!
Post Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 am
Dj Mayonnaise

I deleted my Facebook last night. I figure if someone that matters wants to get in touch w/ me they can figure it out.

I enjoy the Twitter more.
Post Mon May 28, 2012 9:13 am
xGasPricesx

Planet Money did a really good episode about Facebook the other day. One thing I found really interesting is that Facebook would have to bring in $1 out of every $10 spent on advertising across all mediums throughout the entire world to be as profitable as they were claiming they were. Can they do it? I don't know, but it doesn't seem likely.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/05/22/153300390/facebook-now-what

"On today's show, we follow a couple guys who run a pizza shop in New Orleans as they buy their first Facebook ad. We visit a business in New Jersey that sells Facebook "likes" in bulk. And we check in with a business school professor who explains what Facebook would have to do to live up to its valuation which, even after its post-IPO fall, is still roughly $90 billion."
Post Mon May 28, 2012 12:42 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Selling Bulk Likes. LOL.

Reminds me of that MySpace hacker from years ago that tried to sell Sage some 'song clicks' by the thousands...
Post Mon May 28, 2012 2:04 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Crazy, I was JUST thinking about that. All those people who actually paid money to artificially inflate their Myspace plays. So fucking insane. Where are they now?

I've actually never heard of the "pay for more Likes" spam service. If that's an actual thing, they are much more stealth than the Myspace spammers.
Post Mon May 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next