Search
Register
RIP MCA
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flossin

Also, how awesome is that jet pilot helmet story?
Post Wed May 23, 2012 11:35 am
subsketch

Very sad. Interesting to hear about how the group dynamic functioned, MCA always seemed like the guy who was steering the ship.

It's been weird to see so many people paying tribute with Fight For Your Right, I understand that it was a massive song but it seems like the antithesis of everything Beasties particularly MCA came to represent.

From the Sounds of Science Anthology booklet

Quote:

The song began as a goof, a goof on all the "Smokin' in the Boys Room"/"I Wanna Rock" type songs in the world. We cut the dumb little track in the studio, and headed off on tour opening up for RUN-DMC. Rick Rubin took on the task of mixing the stuff in our absence.
I remember someone showing up on our tour bus with a tape of what Rick had made from our demo and playing it. Rick had replaced the drums with these big rock drums, and replayed the guitar with a real top-40 cheesy rock sound. He'd mixed it with all this compression and this clean gated sound. At the time I thought it was a bit odd, but I didn't think too much about it. I just thought of it as the joke taken a step further.
When we were asked to do a video for it, we thought it would be fun. I don't think anyone, at the record label or otherwise, ever suspected that it would be near the hit that it became. So again, as far as we were concerned, the video was just a goof. We shot it in a friend of ours loft and got all our friends to be in it. In the video we really played up the role of tough guys. But it wasn't at all real; friends of ours agreed to let us spit soda on them or grab them and kiss them.
Then we headed off on tour again. This time it was our own tour, the Licensed to Ill Tour. It began in clubs. We were drinking Budweiser on stage and playing the role of these snotty kids. No one expected us to act that way so it seemed really funny.
But as the record began to explode, things changed. People did begin to expect us to act that way. Before we knew it they needed to move our shows into larger buildings. We found ourselves playing in the same arenas that we'd opened for Madonna and RUN-DMC in. But now they were filled with our new fan base, frat kids. I remember looking out at our concerts and seeing these huge drunken football jocks pushing their way up to the front and screaming the lyrics to our songs, and thinking, "What the hell is going on here?"
But it was too late to turn in any other direction; we were caught up in the frenzy. The shows were sold out. It seemed like there was nothing to do but keep coming out on stage every night drinking beer and playing the role. The strangest part about it was that after a short time I think we actually became just what it was that we'd set out to make fun of. By drinking so much beer and acting like sexist macho jerks we actually became just that.
So I guess that the story could have a couple of possible morals. One might be, "Be careful of what you make fun of or you might become it." But the other one, the one that I like is, "All of the sexist macho jerks in the world are just pretending cause they're caught in a rut, and maybe, at some point in the future, when the planets line up in a certain way, they'll all just snap out of it." - Adam Yauch
Post Fri May 25, 2012 4:20 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6