Search
Register
RIP MCA
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

subsketch

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction from a few weeks ago. Yauchs speech read by Horovitz. Can't seem to embed this but here's the link http://bcove.me/rd3kkgtq
Post Sat May 12, 2012 5:38 am
SFR announcement

mlanifesto wrote:
Pissing on the still warm corpse of a legend, and it was all yellow.

Just so you know that this wasn't lost on anyone.........yes. Awesome.

haha. I've read that quote 3 times now while perusing this thread and it makes me laugh every time.

Kudos.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 am
Limbs

I was telling my friend about this the other day. I'm glad I found the video.

Respect.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 12:45 am
mlanifesto

SFR announcement wrote:
mlanifesto wrote:
Pissing on the still warm corpse of a legend, and it was all yellow.

Just so you know that this wasn't lost on anyone.........yes. Awesome.

haha. I've read that quote 3 times now while perusing this thread and it makes me laugh every time.

Kudos.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with that. I was truly sickened by Martin's opportunistic vulture-like behavior, and felt an ugly statement like that got across what I was feeling better than I could manage if I was trying to write it out sincerely.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 1:02 am
SFR announcement

No, all understood. Your comment was kinda crude but totally fucking brilliant.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 1:04 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

I guess I didn't see it as opportunistic. I don't know anything about Coldplay so maybe I'm missing the part that is supposed to make me sick to my stomach and offended. Is it because it isn't very good? I thought it was a relatively sincere tribute...

MY BAD.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 am
tommi teardrop

Like Coldplay is gonna cash in on mca's death by doing an opportunistic cover. I'm a cynical dude, but being appalled by this is next level.

Bottom line, you think Coldplay sucks and you don't want to live in a reality where Coldplay and their fans like the Beastie Boys like you do.

And I'm a troll for pointing this out.

Personally I think the cover was awful, but in no way, shape or form is it pissing on MCA's grave. The guy has played shows with Coldplay. They are one of the biggest bands in the world, and unless mca's band mates or family have a problem with it, I don't understand at all why anyone else would, other than what I said in my second paragraph.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 am
anomaly
Loserface

tommi teardrop wrote:
Like Coldplay is gonna cash in on mca's death by doing an opportunistic cover. I'm a cynical dude, but being appalled by this is next level.

Bottom line, you think Coldplay sucks and you don't want to live in a reality where Coldplay and their fans like the Beastie Boys like you do.

And I'm a troll for pointing this out.

Personally I think the cover was awful, but in no way, shape or form is it pissing on MCA's grave. The guy has played shows with Coldplay. They are one of the biggest bands in the world, and unless mca's band mates or family have a problem with it, I don't understand at all why anyone else would, other than what I said in my second paragraph.

I just had a lox and bagel for breakfast. Your Coldplay is invalid.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:58 am
ecapataz

Coldplay is one of those English bands with a singer who doesn't use his diaphragm to sing EVER, (John Mayer style). They basically have no drums in their songs and they just kinda adhoc their titles and albums together Viva la vida is their uno dos tres catorce moment meaning a pathetic attempt to appear exotic by using Spanish words but in reality they come off as heavy handed assholes. Its soft adult pop for people without any appreciation for actual musicians or music.

Fuck Coldplay covering Beastie Boys without changing their sound at all for it.

mlanifesto is the most appropriate response to that awful video.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 12:50 pm
SFR announcement

You can't do a fucking MILQUETOAST cover of a heavy Beastie Boys song and call it a tribute...all on the heal's of MCA's death. Fuck that shit. And fuck those who watch that performance and think, "Ahhhh cool stuff." You do that, you suck.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 1:05 pm
Brynjar

Yeah that cover is terrible but it's not like they'll play it at every show from now on, relax and chill. The weird thing is that people seem to be using this cover to vent about Coldplay in general but not the cover like they are the worst thing in music.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 1:45 pm
AdamBomb

Brynjar wrote:
Yeah that cover is terrible but it's not like they'll play it at every show from now on, relax and chill. The weird thing is that people seem to be using this cover to vent about Coldplay in general but not the cover like they are the worst thing in music.

First I will say, Coldplay has some jams. I like Shiver in particular and a lot of the first two LP's.

Now...that cover was fuckin horrible. The way they did it came off more like a "lets hop on this bandwagon" than a heartfelt tribute, because a true fan would have never done it like that. Reminded me of that "Jamie Smiles" song (for those that have seen the movie Just Friends).

Take in mind, Coldplay did a pussed out tribute to Michael Jackson (Billie Jean) and Amy Winehouse (Rehab) in the same fashion. Its like Richard Cheese madlibs where they fill in the blanks with the laziest song they could find the lyrics to...and then print em off quickly before the show.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

AdamBomb wrote:
Brynjar wrote:

First I will say, Coldplay has some jams. I like Shiver in particular and a lot of the first two LP's.

Now...that cover was fuckin horrible. The way they did it came off more like a "lets hop on this bandwagon" than a heartfelt tribute, because a true fan would have never done it like that. Reminded me of that "Jamie Smiles" song (for those that have seen the movie Just Friends).

Take in mind, Coldplay did a pussed out tribute to Michael Jackson (Billie Jean) and Amy Winehouse (Rehab) in the same fashion. Its like Richard Cheese madlibs where they fill in the blanks with the laziest song they could find the lyrics to...and then print em off quickly before the show.

I guess this is the info I was looking for. It didn't seem like anyone on here had a reason to hate it besides the fact that a band covered a song and the cover sounded like the way their songs are expected to sound. Boo hoo.

But if they have a history of lame tributes then I get it.

In other news, Neal Brennan just dropped a lost Chappelle's Show performance:
http://hypervocal.tumblr.com/post/22648835036/unaired-beastie-boys-video-from-chappelles
Post Sun May 13, 2012 2:15 pm
Jesse

This was recorded at my homie's studio... how would you compare it to the Coldplay cover?

</object> <span>D-Sisive | Adam [rip.mca 1964-2012] by DerekChristoff</span>

My first reaction (before hearing it) was to see it as opportunistic, but it's hard to gauge someone's sincerity and weigh it against, like... a possible increase in notoriety that comes from attaching your name to a big news story. I would probably feel differently about this coming from an A-list rap celebrity like Jay-Z or uhhhhh Nicki Minaj or someone who doesn't have anything to gain from the level of attention it would draw, but maybe that's unfair of me.

Definitely the bookending verses feel sincere, to me.
Post Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 am
poopsnack

^ I like those beats.
Post Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next