Search
Register
El-P "Cancer 4 Cure" available now at SFRstore
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mancabbage

i edited that track with a fadeout before that guy came back in it pissed me off so much.
Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Captiv8 wrote:

The way I see it you're either trying reconcile my personal tastes in rap voices or passively trying to express that you think Camu Tao had an annoying voice. But I don't think a short sample and an entire verse are comparable. And Camu doesn't sound remotely like Danny Brown, or vice versa. The latter has a really irksome style and tone. Camu was a champ.

i was thinkin the same thing about that respose, more or less

what a weird thing to say though

and i dont really find dannys verse that annoying, but different strokes for different folks

p.s. cap and jesse need to fuck and get it over with ;P :wink: wink:

be lovers, not fighters
Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

The way I see it you're either trying reconcile my personal tastes in rap voices or passively trying to express that you think Camu Tao had an annoying voice. But I don't think a short sample and an entire verse are comparable. And Camu doesn't sound remotely like Danny Brown, or vice versa. The latter has a really irksome style and tone. Camu was a champ.

i was thinkin the same thing about that respose, more or less

what a weird thing to say though

and i dont really find dannys verse that annoying, but different strokes for different folks

p.s. cap and jesse need to fuck and get it over with ;P :wink: wink:

be lovers, not fighters

I'd love to get all post-normative gender hypotenuse neo-sexual with Jesse, but he's far too abrasive.
Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm
Dr Sagacious

I love Danny Brown, but by far he has the worst guest spot on the album. Not to say that it's bad, per se, it's just mediocre. I agree with whoever said he works best solo. Besides for Black and Brown, I can't think of too many guest spots that I like of Danny's.

Comparing Camu and Danny is a head-scratcher, though.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:27 am
mancabbage

did ya miss the odb comparison? I've got no hair left now mate
Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 am
Limbs

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:48 pm
Captiv8

That video with Sway and Killer Mike is pretty enlightening. It was really nice to see a rapper articulate something meaningful other than the typical bullshit. It makes me love RAP Music even more.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:42 pm
bbreakz

Neuro wrote:

This beat is fire. I can't stop listening to this song.
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 am
Captiv8

Captiv8 wrote:
That video with Sway and Killer Mike is pretty enlightening. It was really nice to see a rapper articulate something meaningful other than the typical bullshit. It makes me love RAP Music even more.

Rereading this, some clarification is required. In my head Killer Mike qualifies as a mainstream rapper.
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:12 am
Dr Sagacious

Shit, man. If you listened to parts of Pledge, you could see he wasn't all about that. I think even "Ric Flair" was more of a critique than anything else.
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:01 am
Limbs

What do you guys think of his tendency to use sensationalism and general kookiness outside of his music?

He clearly feels like he has something to say and wants to be a legitimate voice in society. Do you guys think he then has a responsibility to project a more reasonable attitude towards "important issues" in interviews and such? I'd like to hear him talk about some REAL solutions to our problems. Solutions everyone can rally around.

I refuse to believe he sincerely believes a lot of the nonsense he spews. And I am pretty sure there is a large section of his audience that could stand to hear some realrealtalk.

Or am I being too hard on him? I think he put this responsibility on himself. Or am I missing something?
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:22 pm
Jesse

Captiv8 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Danny Brown fucking ruins "Oh Hail No." I'm not even talking about his lyrics. It's his voice I can't stand. It's so irritating.

Still, "Full Retard" continues to dominate my iTunes. The beat is slinky dope, and I love hearing El go so hard on the lyrical tip.
I'm surprised, given that you find Danny's voice so grating, that you aren't put off by the Camu sample in "Full Retard."
I was trying to do both of those things, but not like... as a "gotcha" or anything. I just do find the Camu sample grating in that song, and it's not the same as Danny's voice but it's high-pitched and hard-edged so it kind of bugs me the same way that Danny bugged me at first.

I still feel ambiguous about Brown anyway, I really don't like him on El's record, even though I like the way the beat turns around and he comes in at a different pace... learning to appreciate him is like Lil Wayne all over again for me - so much rough to scrape through for the few diamonds, and just trying to appreciate his charisma to get me through it.
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 pm
Jesse

Limbs wrote:
What do you guys think of his tendency to use sensationalism and general kookiness outside of his music?

He clearly feels like he has something to say and wants to be a legitimate voice in society. Do you guys think he then has a responsibility to project a more reasonable attitude towards "important issues" in interviews and such? I'd like to hear him talk about some REAL solutions to our problems. Solutions everyone can rally around.

I refuse to believe he sincerely believes a lot of the nonsense he spews. And I am pretty sure there is a large section of his audience that could stand to hear some realrealtalk.

Or am I being too hard on him? I think he put this responsibility on himself. Or am I missing something?
I definitely think he's genuine, and I'm pretty sure at least as far as he's concerned, the solutions he recommends are real.

I don't agree with every statement he makes, but I appreciate that he's making them. It's challenging.
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:56 pm
Jesse

mancabbage wrote:
did ya miss the odb comparison? I've got no hair left now mate
If you can't hear the ODB in this, you've never listened to ODB even once.

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next