Search
Register
KONY 2012..a scam?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Stormshadow

EDIT: Guess i should have read the first article before posting to sound less redundant.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:35 am
seandaley
passive aggressifist

i'm all for taking down oppressors.
and of course i hate anyone who harms kids.
but they just found a bunch more oil in uganda.
how do you discourage world citizens from protesting yet another oil action?
find a mutual enemy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-deibert/how-invisible-childrens-k_b_1334410.html?ref=world&ir=World

Quote:

Complicating matters still further, the push for an increased military presence in Central Africa comes after the discovery of one billion barrels of potential oil reserves in the country, with an estimated 1 to 1.5 billion barrels yet to be located.

Last month, London-based Tullow Oil signed two $2.9 billion production sharing agreements with the Museveni government, despite the fact that Uganda's parliament had concluded that there should be a complete moratorium on oil-related activity until new laws were put in place (Uganda's Petroleum Exploration and Production Act dates from 1985). Security for the installations is being provided by a military unit closely linked to the president.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:18 pm
Jesse

Asterax wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
All this being said, none of us would be talking about this without the "Kony 2012" thing and that's a headfuck in itself.
I'd measure Invisible Children's success based on whether folks are still discussing Kony 2012 and child soldiers a year from now.
A year?? One year is nothing. I think if moderately disengaged white handwringers aren't still lustily blogging, reblogging, tumbling, tweeting and YouTube 3D vlogging a call for the capture and trial of Joseph Kony ten, twenty, or thirty years from today... then this video will prove to have been a huge waste of time, money, and subsaharan life.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:38 pm
tommi teardrop

Africa is the final frontier for cheap labor with regards to capitalist imperialism. This will be a great way in. We save them from the Konys of each area and in return we can move our factories from China to Africa. They'll work for even less than the Chinese. We portray it as a necessary stage of development.

Add oil to the equation, and it's a no-brainer.

We save them from genocide, industrialize them and enrich their community by maximizing their access to oil.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:48 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

How can Fox tie this to George Soros?
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:18 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

i'd be willing to bet that i wake up after 4/20 and not find a single poster in my neighborhood...
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm
FuseONE

Here is some information from people who, you know, actually know what they're talking about.

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/elizabeth-dickinson/trouble-stopkony

Quote:

First, in recent years, the LRA has fractured hugelyóin response to international efforts to go after Kony. In incredibly violent starts and stops, the group now rears its head in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Southern Sudan, and the Central African Republic. It actually hardly exists in Uganda anymore. Having been chased out by that countryís military, it has sought the more lawless terrain nearby. In the no manís borderlands and the depths of the jungle, it continues to mete out victims. But it is not, by most analyses, a centralized organization anymore, or one that any leaderís removal could stop. We passed that point at least a decade ago.

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03/07/taking-kony-2012-down-a-notch/

Quote:

t is hard to respect any documentary on northern Uganda where a five year-old white boy features more prominently than any northern Ugandan victim or survivor. Incredibly, with the exception of the adolescent northern Ugandan victim, Jacob, the voices of northern Ugandans go almost completely unheard.

It isnít hard to imagine why the views of northern Ugandans wouldnít be considered: they donít fit with the narrative produced and reproduced in the insulated echo chamber that produced the ĎKony 2012′ film.

Incredibly, there is no mention in the film or the campaign that northern Ugandans are currently enjoying the longest period of peace since the conflict began in 1986. Virtually every single northern Ugandan I spoke to during my own field research believes that there is peace in the region. While sporadic violence continues, particularly as a result of bitter land disputes, there have been no LRA attacks in years.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/03/07/stop-kony-yes-but-dont-stop-asking-questions/

Quote:

The thing is that Joseph Kony has been doing this for a very, very, very long time. He emerged about a quarter of a century, which is about the same time that Ugandaís President Yoweri Museveni came to power. As a result the fates of these two leaders must, I think, be viewed together. Yet, though President Museveni must be integral to any solution to this problem, I didnít hear him mentioned once in the 30-minute video.

Maybe next they can go after Milosevic in Bosnia. Or that crazy Korean dude...I hear he's a bad guy...what's his name??
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i watched the video. i worked for million dollar non profits in the past and met hindreds of " wacktivists " ppl who dont care about doing good so much as care about being people who are seen as people who do good, also a lot of these people are usesless, live in a bubble, have very little skills and make their livings milking unfortunate incidents. some of them live very very well.

some of these organizations are great some are wack.

this video and whatever i have read makes me think that there's a lot of angles to this, but this guy is a tool in more then one sense. i guarantee you he makes a good living off his kony videos and he'd likely be hard pressed to find another income if the kony thing no longer needed adressing. so he'll probably milk it all he can.

all the while playing himself off as a guy who cares. the fact he put his kid in the video is terrible , so is the selling of the kony kits to a particular mkt. that's just a way to sell a product. a product that brings in more income.

this guy enjoys jet setting around, posing with big guns, exploiting his own kid to exploit ppls emotions, painting himself in his own documents as a savior, living off this campaign and whats sad is he's doing it all and enabled by the fact that there's a grain of truth and this kony is a bad guy.

the worst part of the video is the terrible emotional music part with hipsters hanging majestic banners. what a big wank session.

in the end, sadly, the truth is this kony guy sucks, but there's so many angles here. i'd suggest giving money to some other organization working on this or similar issues if you care. donate to an uganada orphanage or something.

otherwise, you are paying for this wacktivists hipster lifestyle. not to mention from what i have read koney isnt even allegedly in uganda anymore, and the us has already been involved.

i wouldnt mind supporting the vids just on the basis of educating the ppl about kony, except the videos themselves are so questionable and awkward.

and there's 12 of them. can we say milk it?
Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 pm
Elohuym

so it seems a few of the websites where Ugandans are speaking out against IC, like TMS Ruge on Project Diaspora (who wrote an amazing piece), has been hacked. These people are so fucked.
Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:08 am
Jesse

crazy killin it.
Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

seandaley wrote:
i'm all for taking down oppressors.
and of course i hate anyone who harms kids.
but they just found a bunch more oil in uganda.
how do you discourage world citizens from protesting yet another oil action?
find a mutual enemy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-deibert/how-invisible-childrens-k_b_1334410.html?ref=world&ir=World

Quote:

Complicating matters still further, the push for an increased military presence in Central Africa comes after the discovery of one billion barrels of potential oil reserves in the country, with an estimated 1 to 1.5 billion barrels yet to be located.

Last month, London-based Tullow Oil signed two $2.9 billion production sharing agreements with the Museveni government, despite the fact that Uganda's parliament had concluded that there should be a complete moratorium on oil-related activity until new laws were put in place (Uganda's Petroleum Exploration and Production Act dates from 1985). Security for the installations is being provided by a military unit closely linked to the president.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:22 pm
mzehe916

Oh man, now they are releasing a new video for their critics. I wonder how much this video will cost.
Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 am
FuseONE

these guys are so helpful.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/12/world/africa/uganda-viral-video/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Quote:

But the media attention on Kony may actually hamper efforts to catch Kony, said Peter Pham of the Atlantic Council, a Washington think tank.

"All I can say is, it couldn't have happened at a more unhelpful moment when you look at it strategically and operationally," said Pham, a civilian adviser to the military command that sent the U.S. troops.

The film comes after a regional -- and covert -- military operation has been under way for several months. The attention could prompt Kony to go on the move again and may set back African and U.S. efforts to catch the warlord.
Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next