6/26 NEW ORLEANS, LA – Southport Hall – Tickets

6/27 BATON ROUGE, LA – Spanish Moon - Tickets

6/29 ATLANTA, GA – Terminal West - Tickets

6/30 CHAPEL HILL, NC – Cat’s Cradle – Tickets

7/01 WASHINGTON, DC – U Street Music Hall - Tickets

7/02 PHILADELPHIA, PA – Union Transfer - Tickets

7/03 PORTLAND, ME – Port City Music Hall – Tickets

7/04 PROVIDENCE, RI – Fete Ballroom - Tickets

(I was gonna post this in a tour thread but that one up top looked it was from 2013 or something, and I haven't been on here in a long time so I'm just gonna start my own damned thread, fine.)

First off, Cambridge is NOT Boston, but I been saying that too damned long and no one cares but me.

Second, this whole show had me feeling a certain type of way. Fucking Francis kicking in the door with the intro from Healthy Distrust, taking me right back to 2005 when I was at the Middle East for that tour, had me thinking about ex-lovers and best friends I don't fuck with anymore, but it's good though. It didn't occur to me that I've been listening to Sage for basically my entire adult life, and there's so much emotional terrain associated with his music. From Crack Pipes (to the OG beat, no less) to Bridle, to Water Line to Makeshift Patriot, this set just ran through me. And Make'em Purr? Son, please. Stop making me feel feelings like it's 2002. Good thing he didn't play "The Cure" or I'd have regular-ass lost it. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been sleeping for a minute, but it was really good to see Uncle Frank out there looking like he'd still steal your lunch if you weren't paying attention. Dude went straight SEAGULL. I feel like seagulls don't get enough recognition for being ruthless fucking gangstas. You ever watch a seagull scoop up a shellfish, take it for a little ride and then smash it on the boardwalk and swallow it in one fell swoop? GULLY.

Okay, here's a little bit of history from back in the day when the SFF was the NPF. Big B Dolan's got a line in "Earthmovers" that says "Its ya boy Pipelaya bobsledding through the desert." Now that line works on it's own level in the context of that song, but if you wanna dig deeper down that rabbit hole, it's a reference to this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wG71gxrvE

So now every time I hear that line, despite B's overwhelming stage presence, all I can think about is the image of five teenagers dry-fucking suburban furniture. FANKS. Anyway, B did a new a capella about Rick Ross and it. is. HARD. Much more worthy target than Justin Timberlake's baby dick, IMO. Also, pretty sure I heard him work the music from Castlevania into a beat for "The Hunter," which was a nice touch. Guy puts in the hard work, you know?

Seez Mics said a whole lot of things, one of which was something like "the pen is mightier than the whore." It's crazy how one dude onstage can set the tone and make me feel like I'm in a festering pressure cooker of masculinity, but whatever, I'm a fuckin' queah and so me and my internalized misandry just chilled until it was over. The crowd was just about 99.9% white and male, (myself included) and with cornball shit about how women are different and crazy, amirite fellas? it's not hard to see why. It's 2014, come collect ya boy, y'all.

Speaking of 2014, I bought Copper Gone on cassette tape and it felt great. What a glorious age we live in.

How's this place? This forum circa 2004 was a great way to learn how to argue on the internet and not lose your sanity. It's pretty cool that Frank has kept it going this long. It really felt like there was a community around it for a bit, I hope people are still getting something like that out of it. Dang, I think about Bandini's ghost hunter videos all the time. What a guy.

xoxoxo,
meow
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:24 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Re: Copper Gone Tour 5/31/14 at The Middle East, Boston MA  Reply with quote  

It was really good seeing you after all this time. There were a few old folks who used to post on this forum whose faces I saw in the crowd. That, to me, is as much of a magical time warp as the music is for you.

Thanks for all the kind words and I agree with almost everything you said. I take contention with this one bit though:

erich wrote:
The crowd was just about 99.9% white and male

I take note of my crowd and I hug as many people as I can after the performance just so I can keep a proper tally. The crowd was at least 35% female. 7% non-white. 100% wicked gayyyyyyyyyy.

haha.

<3
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:41 pm
erich

well i was thinking that during Seez' set, though i guess the demographic shifted as it started to fill up. it was cool that the front row for both you and B was almost all women. I felt bad for that one dude in the front row that had to be the unfortunate target for B's line "if you're hassling girls at the show imma reach out and ask you which side are you on?" i'm sure he was a "nice guy," though... he did have a fedora on, too... haha

yeah, i was looking for lacezilla, used to see him every single show. it used to be so funny going to shows and introducing yourself with your name on here. i could never tell if y'all recognized my face and knew i was on here or what, but it's cool to have that cosmic continuity either way. life is long, not forever.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:58 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

erich wrote:
it used to be so funny going to shows and introducing yourself with your name on here. i could never tell if y'all recognized my face and knew i was on here or what, but it's cool to have that cosmic continuity either way.

i've never introduced myself at any shows as t-wrex... and i've taken selfies with Dolan and Dilly, i've talked to Jared, i've stood in the crowd near Icarus and Capitiv8 during shows, hung out with Dr.Sagacious and bro while we were locked out of a parking garage, waited in line behind Blunted / Mortal after a show for pics and hugs with Sage..
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:50 am
MorallyBass
The Hippie Terminator

I was lucky to catch this show, too. I can't believe how good the sound quality was. No muddy vocals for this rap show. I'd go to a show like this every week, especially when it's 5 minutes away.

Bernard's opening set brought the energy out with flawless delivery on the new material. I never realized Sage's "The Place She Feared" most was a throw-back to a Joan of Arcardia lyric. I'm always more impressed with B's showmanship and material over the years.

Sage's set was great and a lot of the songs worked even better live where you could pick out Sage, Grunge, and B's vocals independently. The right mix of new material from the album and a lot of throwbacks.

It's been years since I've been on the forum, but I met a lot of great people here 10 years ago. I hope everyone's doing well. Best of luck on the tour, if the rest of it is anything like the Cambridge show it'll be a huge success.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FranktheP

Good review...I hope more people post their reviews. It's been a long time and I have to wait until July 2 to see the tour.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I wish I could have gone. I had a daddy/daughter date to attend. Sounds like it was an awesome show.

Got my pre-order though and this album is amazing. Hopefully I'll catch you guys on the next trip through Mass.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:02 am
Stormshadow

Drove from Canton, OH to Pittsburg to see the show on Last Tuesday. Was about a 2 hour drive, but I couldn't pass this up. Long story short, my dude that was supposed to go with me got jumped at a bar and put in jail (self defense can still get you arrested..). With a little bit of anxiety going to a city I had never been to, by myself, I went anyway. Met some cool ppl waiting out front, kicked it with them the rest of the night. The show was DEF worth the drive.

The show ROCKED HARD. B. Dolan kicked it off, and he probably didn't even need a mic, he went IN. I agree on the Rick Ross comment, funny shit. Loved the Castlevania Hunter performance, probably the most. No offense as this is probably Sage and Dolan's friend, but the Lord Grunge performance was akward/bad, and not funny enough. Coming after Dolan it was a major let down. Guess it was a good opportunity for the bar to make some money. Finally, Sage came in and killed it. I was not expecting such a long set from Sage, but it was amazing. Mixing the old "Good" stuff with the new "Good" stuff, and keeping a nice mixture of songs. Came in hard for a few, slowed things down so we could catch our breath (or his maybe), then going hard again. The songs from the new album work very well Live. I think it has to do with the depth of the beats, but man I was feelin the new stuff. Grace sticks out to me.

Quality items at the merch table, got myself the album and asked Sage to sign it since he was working the table for a bit. Later got myself a dope SFR hat.

Overall, this is a must see show for any Sage/Dolan fan.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 am
z-spot22

what's up forum? long time no see! my review of the Chicago show can be summed up in 4 words

BEST FUCKING SHOW EVER!

nice to see you Sage, and BDolan as well......1st time being out of the house with out 2 kids in tow so it was a special night for me and as said before Sage and Dolan blew the roof off the Abbey.....and now I will return to my hole
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm
FranktheP

The SFR Family Philly show on July 2nd was excellent from start to finish. It was the second time I have been to Union Transfer and I think it is one of the better venues in the city.

* I am horrible at remembering song titles so if I get one wrong-sorry.
Prolyphic opened the show and was really good. I haven't always been a big fan of his but "Working Man" is a great album and he played a few tunes off of it (opened with "Drug Dealers" and closed with "Artist Goes Pop". I thought he got the crowd's attention and I got a chance to talk to him at the merch booth- pretty cool dude.

Metermaids were next and stole the show for me. First time I have had the pleasure to see them and they did not disappoint. Their chemistry is obvious. The set list was good (Graveyard Shift, 8mm, Matches), new song was good and the accapella's were even better. Too bad reality gets in the way for these guys as in real life-because I would love for them to tour more-they are really that good.

Dolan was next and just him, the beats and the lights were enough to get the crowd even more into it than they were for the previous bands. Doing a lot material off of HOB2 plus others (Marvin, Vampire Killer, Film the Police). B is one of the best performers I have seen (hip hop and non hip hop) and it is always an excellent show. The last time I saw him was with the band-I really liked that but this show was just as good.

Sage came out soon after and got it going with "Pressure Cooker" and it was off. Dolan as hype man and Grunge as DJ-c'mon- who can touch that? He did a lot of songs off Copper Gone (Vonnegut Busy, Thank You, Grace) and some classic cuts (Gandhi, Makeshift, Damage, Escape Artist, Sea Lion) among many others. I liked the film show playing behind them and overall is was one of the better Sage shows I have seen. The interaction among the three of them was awesome to watch.

Thanks for a great show. Good luck tonight on the finale and good luck in Europe.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:57 am
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

How many of the chicks were white?
Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:44 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

A mix of chicks and some with dicks.

In other show review news, here are couple website/blog reviews from the show:

http://beatroute.ca/2014/06/30/sage-francis-b-dolan-friends-with-the-help-at-fortune-sound-club/

http://soundfusemag.com/2014/06/25/sage-francis-at-abbey-pub/
Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:54 am
Marcus Forealius

With the 4th of July being a washout in Rhode Island it was a great way to end an otherwise uneventful day. Sage competed with fireworks, and won. Clearly the 7/4 date was meant to be.

I'm continually growing more and more impressed with all the new stuff I hear from Metermaids, can't wait for their upcoming LP. And as per usual, B. Dolan ripped it in both his own performance, and up on stage with Sage.

CopperGone is a beast of an album, and deserves all the praise coming its way. Easy to forget what a treat it is to be the hometown crowd, and have the pleasure of either seeing these tours kick off, or come to a close.

I'm kinda hoping for a full Epic Beard Men album sometime. Pretty sure that would bang hard from beginning to end. Seeing Lord Grunge up there made me realize how much I miss Grand Buffet.

Here's to hoping to catch a possible warm-up show before you guys make your way over to the UK/Europe.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:20 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

A lot of show reviews from fans here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154388571775377&set=a.10151463621015377.831089.159174620376&type=1&theater
Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:45 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

North American CG Tour Reflections prt 1

https://www.facebook.com/SageFrancis/photos/a.10150216488590377.438624.159174620376/10154442459640377/?type=1&theater

Copper Gone Tour Reflections (prt 1.) - #GetInTheVan

It's not often that a musician gets to tour the country from coast-to-coast (and back) in a small van for as long as I have. I'm pretty sure that I have Henry Rollins beat by quite a few years on that front. Get in the van, indeed. Get in the van, in doubt. Get in the van, in hopes that everyone makes it through the tour alive. To put it simply, this shit is a grind.

I don't aim to ruin the fantasy that people have about how lucky I am to "see the world while doing what I love," but there's a reason most artists flat out can't do it (even when finances allow for it.) Sure, 5 shows in a row...maybe 10...that can be fun in many cases. But when you're sharing such a tiny amount of space with a few exhausted people for over a month, you seriously run the risk of total fall out. I've experienced this and I've seen it ruin friendships, business relationships, and, some extreme cases, families.

In 2010, after ten years of doing van tours, I decided to call it a day. I felt I had lost as much as I had gained in many ways and it would be best to not press my luck any further. I obviously renegotiated with myself in 2014 before hitting the road again, but it wasn't without certain concessions. I may or may not list those concessions at some point, but there's a reason I chose the four people who you see standing in front of the van with me in this picture. From May 29th until July 4th they tolerated me, each other, themselves, and all while wearing more hats than anyone should be expected to fit on one head. And, the thing that makes me pat myself on the back more than anything else, is the fact that we're all still on good terms.

Many people felt that they deserved to be in this van due to their connection with me and/or Strange Famous Records, and there are some unaffiliated artists who actually offered me money to join along, but there's no way I was going to jeopardize my first tour in four years by including people who didn't meet the specific requirements. This picture (from left to right) is of B. Dolan, Madge of Honor, Eyerenna, myself, and Lord Grunge of Grand Buffet. MacGruber would be hard pressed to put together a better team before accidentally blowing them up with 45 pounds worth of homemade C4 explosives.

There was not a single death, arrest, brawl, speeding ticket, break up, or break down on this tour. This isn't something that the media ever shows interest in, but pardon me while I pat myself on the back for arranging the MOTHERFUCKING A-TEAM OF THIS DIY-OR-DIE, INDIE-RAP TOUR SHIT. These four beautiful weirdos probably thought I forgot how much of a salute they deserved since it's been 21 days since our last show and I've yet to give a proper tour review. Helllllllll nawwwwww. First comes the salute...then comes the embarrassing stories. I'm still booking more shows, so give me some time.
SALUTE!!!!!

Future shows are posted at www.tinyurl.com/CopperGoneTour
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Jump to: