Search
Register
NBA 2011-2012. The NBA is back!!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Man, I was definitely hoping this would last the full season. Looks like no more hockey highlights on ESPN. :(

I actually was too. Not because I want more hockey but because I want less basketball. I think both the players and the owners should be taken down a peg. But I'm not a professional basketball fan whatsoever. I check in on the Pistons from time to time, but that's about it.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:38 pm
Juneauite

phataccino wrote:
Juan wrote:
I've been wanting the owners to win every concession. Fuck the players.
Why? This is crazy to me. I don't understand how someone can be a basketball fan, have followed this lockout, and take the owners side. Fuck the owners.

This. It isn't the players fault that the owners give out idiotic deals to players who didn't deserve them. The players ARE the product, without them there is nothing, should they not be getting a large portion of that money? Who should get it instead, the owners? How is that really much different than a corperate CEO who makes most of the money while his employees do all the work and make significantlly less? They are the very best in the world at what they do, NBA total revenue is at an all time high, and they are being told, not asked, that they have to take a significant pay cut, so their rich bosses can be more rich. I would be pissed off too in that situation.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:44 pm
Juneauite

The people who are saying that they hoped basketball would stay gone are confusing and make me sad. I like basketball, I like watching the NBA. If you don't, or have some beef with the players or owners, that's fine, but are you really so cruel that you would actively root against people being able to enjoy a thing they like? I don't personally care for tennis, I find it boring to watch, so I change the channel when it comes on sportscenter. I don't hope and wish that they cancel all tournaments and never play any more of it, ever, just so I don't have to deal with it existing in the world! That's crazy talk. What about the thousands of people around the country who work in arenas, or restaraunts, bars, and other businesses near them who rely on having the foot traffic that the games brings? Are you hoping they won't be able to make a living? Yes. Yes you are.

Also, people complaining that it is too expensive need to actually go to a game. I paid $20. for a decent seat to see the Blazers last time I was in Portland(2009), and it came with a free 16 oz. beer and medium nachos. Much less expensive than even going to a movie.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Let the Brandon Knight era begin!
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:47 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Anybody who says "fuck the players" is a p.o.s. End of story.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:36 pm
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

it makes me a piece of shit? Alright bro. They rubbed me the wrong way by taking so long to even agree to a 50-50 split, which is fair. I can understand them not liking the other changes but I blame them mostly for this dragging out so long. But piece of shit? Almost all the players are millionaires so I don't feel too bad if they take a paycut.

def not worthy of a "p.o.s. Label"
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:08 pm
futuristxen

Juan wrote:
They rubbed me the wrong way by taking so long to even agree to a 50-50 split, which is fair.

Except it's not fair, because the players WERE at 57, and the owners started out demanding the players go down to 40 percent, roll back their existing salaries, basically end free agency as we know it, and accept a hard cap.

We lost games because the owners whole negotiation tactic was to be a total dick. They massively overplayed their hand, and in the process it became less about getting a deal done for the players, and more about an ego thing.

The reason this all happened IMO is because the NBA doesn't have stringent enough screening policies for new owners, and they let in owners who really can't afford to own a team(Michael Jordan), and those guys want to basically get guaranteed a profit because their margin is too slim.

It's definitely stupid.

My problem with people who were pro-owner, is that in an economy that is essentially fucked up because of the people on the owners side of the ledger, we had the majority of NBA fans rushing to their support, even though the majority of NBA fans are the labor in these situations. There's this weird thing in American discourse where we're pro-the rich/pro-the elites, while we hate on anyone who would challenge them and not just be grateful for the crumbs thrown their way.

I thought the whole discourse of the thing was emblematic of a lot of why there is such large scale stratification in America as a whole. It gets even worse once you start factoring in the racial components of it of predominantly white fans, and predominantly white owners, talking about how greedy and stupid the black basketball players are.

I'm glad it's over. But it reminds me why I hate a good percentage of sports fans.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:39 pm
Jack

Juneauite wrote:
The people who are saying that they hoped basketball would stay gone are confusing and make me sad. I like basketball, I like watching the NBA. If you don't, or have some beef with the players or owners, that's fine, but are you really so cruel that you would actively root against people being able to enjoy a thing they like? I don't personally care for tennis, I find it boring to watch, so I change the channel when it comes on sportscenter. I don't hope and wish that they cancel all tournaments and never play any more of it, ever, just so I don't have to deal with it existing in the world! That's crazy talk. What about the thousands of people around the country who work in arenas, or restaraunts, bars, and other businesses near them who rely on having the foot traffic that the games brings? Are you hoping they won't be able to make a living? Yes. Yes you are.

Nope, it has been really nice to just have the three good major sports (hockey, football, baseball) dominate the airwaves for awhile now. Now if they changed the total gametimes to 5 minutes, then I would watch basketball. Final five minutes of games are watchable.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:16 am
futuristxen

I only watch one other sport(soccer), so I'm glad basketball is back to speed up the time between matches.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 am
JohnSchwan

You said the last 5 minutes of basketball are watchable but cite baseball as if it was a thrilling viewing adventure.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:58 am
Jack

JohnSchwan wrote:
You said the last 5 minutes of basketball are watchable but cite baseball as if it was a thrilling viewing adventure.

II'll be honest. It's the travelling thing. I don't get it
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:35 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

In this dispute the owners and players both used some pretty predictable tactics, and they were dicks. I guess I should revise my statement to fuck the owners and fuck the players. But it seems like the players rubbed me the wrong way the most.

Just because it was 57% before doesn't make 50% unfair. 40% was definitely an unfair offer and is stupid, but it doesn't get much more fair than 50-50.

Then the player representatives annoyed me. The whole Bill Hunter thing comparing the NBA to plantation owners? I know the players gave him flack for that, but this is the guy representing them?

It also seemed like whenever the meetings broke down it was always the players taking their ball and going home more often than not.

As far as the cap and free agency, I haven't read enough on what the changes are, or what each side wanted, but I'm not really for the owners or the players in that area, just whatever is best for the game.

but I do agree a lot of their problems would be solved if they stopped giving out so many Rashard Lewis'ish contracts and just got smarter about their money.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 pm
sloe t
self-worthlessness

Juan wrote:
Just because it was 57% before doesn't make 50% unfair. 40% was definitely an unfair offer and is stupid, but it doesn't get much more fair than 50-50.

except that most teams have one or two owners and fifteen players and that the owners bring nothing to the table really except the fact that they were rich enough to buy a basketball team in the first place. for the most part we're talking about people who are all very rich, with the exception of the journeymen and role players and it seems like they're most likely to be the ones who get screwed by this deal.

don't get me wrong though, i was annoyed by both sides too throughout this ordeal. i just hope it's really over.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:14 pm
Captiv8

I'll admit that I felt inspired by Kevin Durants "#Basketballneverstops" commercial. Thanks for making me feel alive, Nike.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 pm
squirtisblow

sloe t wrote:
Juan wrote:

except that most teams have one or two owners and fifteen players and that the owners bring nothing to the table really except the fact that they were rich enough to buy a basketball team in the first place. for the most part we're talking about people who are all very rich, with the exception of the journeymen and role players and it seems like they're most likely to be the ones who get screwed by this deal.

don't get me wrong though, i was annoyed by both sides too throughout this ordeal. i just hope it's really over.

Not only that but owners own teams much longer than an average player's career length. I don't really think 50 50 is fair. It's easily marketable as fair though
Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next