Search
Register
WINNER OF THE "BAD THINGS" REMIX CONTEST...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Brynjar

Theory 77 is my pick, this is the only song the feels like song but not a beat + acapella

Others I like:
Dynamo414
Graf Cratedigger
MagOwl
Le Parasite
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 pm
Jack

i listened to most of them and doc hollywoods is just awesome. It is fun and it is the only one that really makes me want to come back to.

But as always there are so many amazing entries. The talent level of this contests have gone up over the years, its ridiculous.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:42 pm
Bob Harris

This was really difficult to pick. Super interested to hear what B is feeling. I'm going to take my time later tonight and comment on each of them, because obviously people put a bunch of time in on these.

I hope the producers appreciate the big guy listening to and critiquing each entry.

We couldn't be more appreciative. Thanks to errrrbody who remixed. Thanks to B. Dolan for killing the redux. Thanks to Sage for manning the wheel on all of this.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Bob Harris wrote:
I hope the producers appreciate the big guy listening to and critiquing each entry.

I appreciate constrictive criticism and feedback from anyone on the tracks I've made, but coming from Sage, B.Dolan or the Metermaids it means much much more to me. After I start working on this track for a little while I started to develop blinders that clouded my vision and I ended up losing sight of what I really wanted to do with it. I'm happy with the overall outcome but the EQ thing that Sage brought up is very relevant question to ask. I didn't leave enough space for everything to breath evenly in the mix. After I submitted it to you guys I started hearing all these things that I should have done differently but that's how it goes. Sometimes tracks never feel like they're done - hahaha

With that being said, this contest has still been a lot of fun for me. I was able to try a lot of new things on this one like playing live drums instead of sampling, programing or taping them out. It was a nice change. Regardless of the final outcome it has been a fun track to work on. Sage Francis, B.Dolan and the Metermaids - Shit son, who wouldn't want to work on that!?!

As of now I'm not sure who's is my favorite. There's a lot of good mixes from a lot of different producers.

I'd hate to be in the judges shoes...

Thanks to Sage Francis, Metermaids, B.Dolan and Strange Famous Records for making this event happen. I love these contests, they bring out the best, and sometimes the worst in us. hahaha

Good luck everyone
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Something people should keep in mind is the amount of time it takes not only to sift through every single remix, but uploading them with the proper info attached while creating a blog full of links along with critiques for each remix is insane. haha. I always always forget how much of a time commitment that is until I get in the trenches.

There are a lot of other things that happen in the process that take up time as well, so when I'm giving notes on remixes I have to be careful not to just focus on the parts I don't like. However, unless a remix is totally knocking my socks off, I feel like the best use of my time AND the producer's time is to highlight the things I think need work. You've got to understand that I'm listening to over 60 variations of the same song, so I admittedly get overly critical. I expect people who toss their hats into the ring to have thick skin, but I also take measures to not just come across as the Simon Cowell of this shit. This go 'round, I actually went back over my notes for each remix and tried to include at least one positive comment. This was against my nature but it saves me time and grief in the long run.

However, there was one remix in particular where I couldn't think of anything positive to say so I just explained what bugged me about it. Like CLOCKWORK, this dude emailed me trying to make me feel guilty for crushing his spirit. Like...how dare I cut him down and he's trying to make something of himself. haha. I'm not even going to name names because I don't want to call him out or deal with more absurd accusations, but I'm sure it's easy enough to figure out. All I can say is this...

If you think you're dope, but I don't think your'e dope, you can still feel good about yourself. We obviously have a different criteria and set of standards for what constitutes as dope. If you want others to think you are dope, improve upon your craft. In the meantime, grow thicker skin for fuck's sake.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:48 pm
Jesse Custer

I'm enjoying listening to these but there's no way I could possibly vote, because there's no way I'm listening to 40+ different versions of the same song in a row! I gotta space this out...
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That's why I highlighted the ones I thought were most worth checking out.

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/blogs/sage-francis-blog/bad-things-remix-vote/
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 pm
Captiv8

To be honest I listened to snippets of each song to get a feel for it, jotted down the ones that I really enjoyed, and then listened to those ones in full. If a song can't pull me in within the first 30-45 seconds then it's not for me. From that list I narrowed it down to five. Time management.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:03 pm
laurapalmer

For me, the winner is Theory77. Hurry up and sign this cat to Strange Famous. Love everything I have ever heard from that dude.

Notable other ones for me: MagOwl (can i get a few hours of instrumentals to play in the car over here?-love the sounds dude puts forth), James Hancock, Dick Mantis.

Per the usual, a lot of talent on display.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:13 pm
magOwl

What Captiv8 said. I usually do it another time as well tho, like a day or two later, in case I missed something, or a tune had to linger for a bit in the back of my mind.

Hey Sage, you know most of us really appreciate the time & effort put in by you and the others making these things happen, and I for one like that we get a little bit of feedback, the good and the bad.

Talking about that.. I used to be quite easily offended back in the day, I usually never said anything tho, I just got seriously pissed off in silence. Then I started to do beatbattles and other more public things and I quickly learned that getting offended in situations like that serves no purpose. If you expose yourself (read your music) to people other than your friends, some of them won't feel it; that's just the way it is and it's not the end of the world. If anything it will make you better at what you do and it will thicken your skin a little (that's a good thing).
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:23 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Sage Francis wrote:
grow thicker skin for fuck's sake.

hahaha - Shit, I hope I didn't just come off that way. That wasn't my intent... I really appreciate how much time and effort goes into these contests. Regardless of any outcome I've always enjoyed being apart of them. It gives me an opportunity to grow as a producer and work on some dope ass tracks with other musician that I respect.

Thanks again to Strange Famous Records, Sage Francis, B.Dolan and the Metermaids for making contest like this happen. I hope they continue.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Haha no, you didn't come across that way at all.

In other news, Theory 77 and Jecht Rye seem to be getting the most votes from the public.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm
Limbs

C'moooooooooon, Dynamo! Daddy wants to listen in the car.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Big, big congrats to Theory 77 and many thanks to everyone who participated. Great stuff all around.

To hear all of the remixes from the contest and read the full write-up (along with critiques by the Metermaids, B. Dolan & myself) please go to:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/blogs/sage-francis-blog/bad-things-remix-vote/
Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 pm
Captiv8

Word. The right choice was definitely made here. Good work Theory 77! Props to the rest that put together tight remixes as well.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next