Search
Register
In this thread, we share photography.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

OM3N

In this thread, we share photography.  Reply with quote  

Why not?

I still use a "film" camera but I took this last night.....
http://postimage.org/image/va4anj74x/

I have like 25 rolls of film that need to get developed, hopefully this thread will spur my action.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 am
mzehe916

I would only continue to work with film if I had access to a darkroom. Paying to develop pictures is a major drawback, overshadowing the element of surprise of what might be on those rolls. This reminds me that I really need to go through my photos and upload them to a site like flickster or whatever the kids use these days.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:25 am
OM3N

Yeah. there is something about developing a roll of film and hoping that your stuff comes out good.

Sadly we are in the ages of Terabytes, so the company that made "snap and slide" aka Polaroid is gone.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:43 am
english bob

i keep meaning to get back into film, but it takes me long enough to go through and sort my digital photos - if i needed to get them developed too, it'd be years after the event before i ever saw images.

been adding some photos from this summer to flickr recently.. this is my current favourite

or this

i've been finding that i spend far too long messing around in Lightroom with images, before invariably reverting back to the original version.. again, if i'd been doing that in a darkroom, it would drive me mental
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:02 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mzehe916

Apparently I do have a flickr account. That is a start at least.

DSC_0400

DSC_0402

DSC_0403
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:31 am
OM3N

digging the stuff.

especially that "hallway" shot English Bob
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:35 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Appalachian trail in northern New Hampshire (looking at Mt. Washington from Eisenhower) this weekend.

Gray Jay on Mt. Hight

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

did you not feel like you had harnessed the power of the universe when that bird was in your hand?!

...also, I need those rabbit figurines.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 am
jakethesnake

zagadka wrote:
did you not feel like you had harnessed the power of the universe when that bird was in your hand?!

...also, I need those rabbit figurines.

Oh totally, I mean, picture this.

You set out from your house at Noon to catch a sunset. Drive 2 hours into the mountains. Start walking alone around 2PM with ~11 miles ahead of you and ~4000 feet in elevation gain. Five miles from the road you reach your destination. A rocky summit covered in alpine tundra, late fall, most of the leaves have fallen. It's cool, you haven't seen anyone in hours. This is the view for miles in every direction.

The sun is setting and you have about 6 miles to walk, you know at least half of that is going to be by headlamp, alone with no one behind you on the trail. You're about to leave when you hear a flutter behind you. A small gray-colored Jay lands on a branch about 5 feet from you. You reach into your pack and pull out some granola, and with little hesitation the bird hops on, takes the meal and flies away. It's mate comes along and you do the same.

I'd say it's a fulfilling experience that certainly lends itself to pondering your place in the universe.

(The secret is, Gray Jays in the White Mountains are practically domesticated as EVERYONE feeds them. Lets put it this way, if they were bears they'd have been killed a long time ago. Hope that doesn't ruin the magic for you. I have noticed that they usually chirp a "thank you" when they fly away though ;)
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 am
remind

english bob wrote:

Awesome!
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

jake - i'm going backpacking solo for the first time this weekend, not out of choice but because i really want to camp and no one can go. reading that description of your hike makes me think it might be more enjoyable than i had expected.

it also reminded me of a story behind one of my favorite pictures. it's not the best picture due to the camera i was using, but the moment was a beautiful confluence, the kind that's so wonderful it makes you smile just thinking about it.

i was in kaoshiung, taiwan for a few days visiting my dad, who was working there for a month. we'd hang out in the evenings, but during the day i was alone, and so i spent most of my time exploring the city. i had been trying all week to find the trail to monkey mountain with no luck. i'd also been trying to figure out how to get into this abandoned factory on the edge of town. it was friday, my last day in the city. i was determined to check these two off my list. i set out early and managed to find the trail head for monkey mountain without too much work. after taking a number of unnecessary detours, i made it to the top, fed a monkey a banana peel, and then headed back down. on the way back i took a side road i had spied on google earth and found the back way into the factory. i wandered around and snapped a few photos. it was getting late so i decided to call it a day, grab some beer and food, and head to my favorite spot on the beach.

i don't have time to explain it in detail, but a stray dog came up, i fed him some dumplings, he walked over and sat directly in between me and the sunset, a ship came across the horizon, and as i'm thinking that this couldn't get any more magical: partial solar eclipse.

tl;dr - surprise solar eclipse sunset + stray dog, enjoyed w/ beer and dumplings, viewed after long day of mountain climbing and abandoned factory exploration.

and a few others:

self-portrait

adirondacks

dc sunset

rails to trails

urban exploration

dc chillin

high schooler graffiti

train tunnel

sunset

rust red and chlorophyll green
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 am
jakethesnake

Nice crash! Great story. I think those moments are the ones that really last forever. What a day! That other sunset picture you posted was really nice as well (they all are).

If you're making trips to the 'dacks you're not far off from the Whites if you're coming from DC. Hit me up if you are ever in the area, we can walk around this end of the mountains.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:30 am
Captiv8

Fucking hell, crash. Your pictures, particularly the ones of abandoned buildings and graffiti, continue to astound me. Have you considered putting together a book or collection? Your pictures capture the atmosphere of places in an incredible fashion.

The light halo around your face in the self-portrait shot is intense. Such a great shot.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 am
spagucci-one

The majority of these were taken with my crappy iPhone

Santa Fe Sunset

10k Ft Above Coast of So Cal

Oink oink

Venice Beach, CA

Rainy Day in NOLA

NOLA Cemetary
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm
PatrickBateman

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next