Search
Register
Joe Paterno and Penn State turned a blind eye to child rape.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Let us not forget about the title of this thread. There are like 15 other people who need to go on trial for this shit, no?

Sociopath or not, nobody accomplishes Sandusky's overwhelming molestation/abuse/rape record alone for so long. Is the investigation going further? Since the guilty verdict two weeks ago, I haven't heard much else.
Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:58 pm
Captiv8

If memory serves two other former higher-ups at Penn State are being investigated in relation to Sandusky. Now that the most newsworthy and sensational aspect has concluded, I suspect not much will be said until the investigation is concluded. But you're right: other people are definitely complicit in this and need to be prosecuted as such.
Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 am
wesfau

No discussion on the sanctions? Were they appropriate, over-reaching or inadequate?

$60M fine
4 year bowl ban
Scholarship reductions to 65, with a recruiting cap of 15 per year for 4 years
Immediate transfer for current players who wish
Vacated wins from 1998-2011
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Appropriate. Set an example that no matter how high-profile you are, you better make sure you are maintaining your level of professionalism and humanity.

Penn State effectively set up a boy-rape mill for this guy and turned a blind eye to it. Fuck a cover-up.

I wish they'd do the same to the Catholic church x1000.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Appropriate.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm
AdamBomb

I don't think it was appropriate at all. Punish the direct individuals who made the bad call and set strict punishments for future actions such as this. Penn State is a school and between academics and athletics provides a lot of opportunities for kids trying to better themselves. Like it or not, football programs make a lot of money for other programs (academic and other sports). This hurts the students more than anybody. No one knew about this aside from the direct supervisors, its wasn't like the trustees voted to cover this up. Horrible situation + piece of shit people, but don't punish the whole damn school.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:02 pm
mattrego

Conspiracy of silence.

I really really thought they should have shut down football for 2-3 years. I feel the sanctions were harsh, but if they truly wanted to gut the "culture", then you take away the church from the weirdos. The fact that penn state will still have football on saturdays is wrong.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm
Sarcastro

It's a tough call, because on one hand AdamBomb's view point is right, we're punishing an entire school with thousands of students and faculty that never had heard of Sandusky's name last year for a horrible act that anyone in society already understands is wrong and that needs to be reported.

On the other hand if they don't hand down such crazy penalties what makes another school down the line not turn a blind eye to something similar if instead of the assistant coach it's an incredibly successful and revered head coach who is bringing them championships and prestige and tons of money.

I guess personally I'd rather have the harsh penalties and live with the collateral damage done to other people at Penn St. than to have even the possibility of a school looking past such a situation because of greed.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm
AdamBomb

Sarcastro wrote:
It's a tough call, because on one hand AdamBomb's view point is right, we're punishing an entire school with thousands of students and faculty that never had heard of Sandusky's name last year for a horrible act that anyone in society already understands is wrong and that needs to be reported.

On the other hand if they don't hand down such crazy penalties what makes another school down the line not turn a blind eye to something similar if instead of the assistant coach it's an incredibly successful and revered head coach who is bringing them championships and prestige and tons of money.

I guess personally I'd rather have the harsh penalties and live with the collateral damage done to other people at Penn St. than to have even the possibility of a school looking past such a situation because of greed.

This is where I have a problem. It wasn't the school as a whole (or organization) that did this. Sandusky worked for the school and three supervisors above him kept it quiet. It wasn't the board of trustees. It wasn't as if the athletic department met together and conspired to cover this up. It was Sandusky and his direct managers. The same thing could conceivably happen and the sufferers of the consequences still wouldn't have a say in what moral choice to make, because they weren't offered the choice. This is like when someone steals something in elementary school and the whole class has to sit in detention. I used to hate that.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 pm
Sarcastro

Ya but if you were one of the supervisors now you'd be more likely to come forward knowing that the penalties for not are so unbelievably harsh.

It's like when they charge someone for allowing a wanted criminal to hide out in their house.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:03 pm
Captiv8

The entire school will suffer regardless of these sanctions. If you're a high school student in Pennsylvania or in nearby states I have to think that there is a pall on going to Penn State. Nobody wants to be a Nittany Lyin anymore, nawmean? Football prospects, as well athletes from other sports too, have already de-committed to Penn State. Future recruitment classes will be smaller, both because Paterno is gone and because there is such a pall on the program now.

The bottom line is that those that knew about Sandusky and didn't do anything (which is to say, everyone) fucked up big time. The negative resonance of their inaction is terrible, but that's a hard lesson. If students want to hang tight and graduate from Penn State despite everything that is their choice (just like attending college in the first place). They can also transfer to a number of other fine universities both in and out of state. I think the sanctions are appropriate because of the message they send. If you know something isn't quite right you need to make sure it is dealt with and resolved post haste. The sweeping shit under the rug and hoping the smell doesn't get noticed move must end.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:30 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Yup. And the sanctions put a dent in the college athletics culture, which has an outward attitude that nothing is more important than winning and being totally rad.

I wasn't surprised when it was revealed how deep this thing went. It makes complete sense to me, based on what little I know about the culture of college sports. This is a bucket of freezing cold water on everyone who feels that that shit is important enough to trump, or even rival, the things Sandusky did (and the seriousness of covering it up) in this conversation.
Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm
Captiv8

From a subjective sports perspective, it sucks that Paterno and all of his players from 98-11 had all of their wins vacated. But you know what sucks worse? Being sexually abused. Paterno had the power and the stature to end whatever Sandusky was doing and chose not you. With allegations as serious as child abuse that's something you should see through to the end. When you're so high profile, you're only as great as your worst decision. Now Paterno et all are tarnished forever. I think the punishment for this is warranted, though I would like to see all of the scholarship money now available go toward victim restitution. I suppose Penn State is going to be sued anyway.
Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm
Limbs

Captiv8 wrote:
From a subjective sports perspective, it sucks that Paterno and all of his players from 98-11 had all of their wins vacated. But you know what sucks worse? Being sexually abused.
Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

You all got it wrong. It was obviously the kids' fault:

Father Benedict Groeschel, a prominent friar, television host, and director of the Office for Spiritual Development for the Catholic Archdiocese of New York wrote:
A little bit, yes; but you know, in those cases, they have to leave. And some of them profoundly profoundly penitential, horrified. People have this picture in their minds of a person planning to a psychopath. But that's not the case. Suppose you have a man having a nervous breakdown, and a youngster comes after him. A lot of the cases, the youngster 14, 16, 18 is the seducer.

Well, it's not so hard to see a kid looking for a father and didn't have his own and they won't be planning to get into heavy-duty sex, but almost romantic, embracing, kissing, perhaps sleeping but not having intercourse or anything like that.

It's an understandable thing, and you know where you find it, among other clergy or important people; you look at teachers, attorneys, judges, social workers. Generally, if they get involved, it's heterosexually, and if it's a priest, he leaves and gets married that's the usual thing and gets a dispensation. A lot of priests leave quickly, get civilly married and then apply for the dispensation, which takes about three years.

But there are the relatively rare cases where a priest is involved in a homosexual way with a minor. I think the statistic I read recently in a secular psychology review was about 2%. Would that be true of other clergy? Would it be true of doctors, lawyers, coaches?

Here's this poor guy [Penn State football coach Jerry] Sandusky it went on for years. Interesting: Why didn't anyone say anything? Apparently, a number of kids knew about it and didn't break the ice. Well, you know, until recent years, people did not register in their minds that it was a crime. It was a moral failure, scandalous; but they didn't think of it in terms of legal things.

If you go back 10 or 15 years ago with different sexual difficulties except for rape or violence it was very rarely brought as a civil crime. Nobody thought of it that way. Sometimes statutory rape would be but only if the girl pushed her case. Parents wouldn't touch it. People backed off, for years, on sexual cases. I'm not sure why.

I think perhaps part of the reason would be an embarrassment, that it brings the case out into the open, and the girl's name is there, or people will figure out what's there, or the youngster involved you know, it's not put in the paper, but everybody knows; they're talking about it.

At this point, (when) any priest, any clergyman, any social worker, any teacher, any responsible person in society would become involved in a single sexual act not necessarily intercourse they're done. And I'm inclined to think, on their first offense, they should not go to jail because their intention was not committing a crime.
Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next