Search
Register
Netflix Debacle
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

redball

Netflix Debacle  Reply with quote  

So, I think everyone heard about a little company called Netflix and how they decided to split into two companies. That didn't go over so well, and today they glued themselves back together.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds-will-be-staying-at-netflixcom.html

This, of course, comes full circle as a huge PR blunder. Also, it comes at a time when competition to Netflix is getting stronger. The MPAA learned from the RIAA's capitulation to iTunes and has vowed to give no one company that much control. Amazon has recently inked a deal with several networks to begin building a large streaming television catalog. Hulu, well, it's there and maybe some day will go public or something. Also, Microsoft is planning to launch a streaming service on XBox to compete.

Finally, I'm doing a little unscientific poll to help settle a debate with kHill. Do you use Netflix for streaming? If so, what do you use to stream it?
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:24 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Re: Netflix Debacle  Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
So, I think everyone heard about a little company called Netflix and how they decided to split into two companies. That didn't go over so well, and today they glued themselves back together.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds-will-be-staying-at-netflixcom.html

This, of course, comes full circle as a huge PR blunder. Also, it comes at a time when competition to Netflix is getting stronger. The MPAA learned from the RIAA's capitulation to iTunes and has vowed to give no one company that much control. Amazon has recently inked a deal with several networks to begin building a large streaming television catalog. Hulu, well, it's there and maybe some day will go public or something. Also, Microsoft is planning to launch a streaming service on XBox to compete.

Finally, I'm doing a little unscientific poll to help settle a debate with kHill. Do you use Netflix for streaming? If so, what do you use to stream it?

Yes. A Wii. I would rather that other streaming services were wii-friendly, as Hulu now has the Criterion Collection and Amazon Prime membership has all those movies but I don't want to buy another video game system (not a dork) or a Roku thing and I don't like watching movies on my computer.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 am
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

I use netflix to stream, and i stream it on my wii.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 am
anomaly
Loserface

Netflix: I stream everything from my Wii at home and listen to documentaries at work all day on my computer.

The DVDs never quite worked out for me. I never got around to watching them, the disc had some sort of problem w/ it, they didn't have my top of queue in stock.

If Netflix doesn't have a movie i want and I really have a movieboner for it, i'll rent it on my AppleTV.

Streaming all day, erry day.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:46 am
futuristxen

I stream netflix and hulu on the ps3. Netflix mostly, but Hulu for the criterion library and the anime.

I'm still waiting for PS3 to set up an HBO Go portal...

I used to rent DVDs as well from netflix, but when they did the price hike I went to just streaming, got Hulu with the difference--and then do On Demand for things I have to have to see.

And then for obscure things that I can't stream or get on demand or otherwise find to buy--I hit the torrent bricks.

Netflix is run by a bunch of idiots though, that much seems to be clear from the last few months.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 am
tommi teardrop

I stream netflix on the PS3 in the living room and the Wii in the bedroom. Also stream it on the ipad, which I also use to stream HBO and the NFL Sunday Ticket.

I love streaming Netflix. I've seen so much shit that I never would have taken the time to search out. Netflix is the shit.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 am
FranktheP

I stream Netflix on my DVD player. I used to have the DVD option but dropped out after they raised the prices. I had Blockbuster Online for a bit but they never had the newer stuff and were more expensive than Netflix.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I stream Netflix on my XBOX 360.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 am
Captiv8

I stream Netflix through my 360. For the most part it works well, but because I'm trying to save money I use my apartment complex's rather slow wi-fi, which can lead to disruptions in service or slower, more pixelated movies. That doesn't have anything to do with Netflix though, so I don't begrudge them. I used to subscribe to their DVD service, but I found that it became too much of a responsibility to make it worth it. I felt pressured (by myself) to watch a movie when I received it even if I didn't necessarily want to. So the streaming option is definitely the way forward for me, even though the selection isn't as large, because it's much more convenient. I had a feeling that Quik Pix or whatever wasn't going to work, and now here we are.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:28 am
Captiv8

I stream Netflix through my 360. For the most part it works well, but because I'm trying to save money I use my apartment complex's rather slow wi-fi, which can lead to disruptions in service or slower, more pixelated movies. That doesn't have anything to do with Netflix though, so I don't begrudge them. I used to subscribe to their DVD service, but I found that it became too much of a responsibility to make it worth it. I felt pressured (by myself) to watch a movie when I received it even if I didn't necessarily want to. So the streaming option is definitely the way forward for me, even though the selection isn't as large, because it's much more convenient. I had a feeling that Quik Pix or whatever wasn't going to work, and now here we are.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:28 am
Dj Mayonnaise

Re: Netflix Debacle  Reply with quote  

redball wrote:

Yes, I stream via my Blue Ray player.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:19 am
Disharmony

I stream it on my Xbox360. I like their interface the best. Probably because I am so used to it.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am
Dr Sagacious

I stream it on the 360.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 am
lacezilla

In my bedroom I use my wii, in the living I use laptop and an hdmi cable to watch on the big screen, or often i just use my macbook. I was thinking about canceling the whole thing. I was pissed when they doubled their prices. I wish streaming had more current items, that was the only reason I had the dvd service to get more recent movies etc.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:03 pm
Self Conscious

use it almost everyday, get the dvds by mail too. people always complain about everything, if they didn't bump the price up they couldn't stay afloat. id rather pay a higher price then not have netflix. the service with the price hike is well worth the value.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next