Search
Register
"Life Is Easy" praise
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Flossin

"Life Is Easy" praise  Reply with quote  

Dear Sage,
The "Life is Easy" DVD is the best and most compelling rap documentary (or documentary focusing on an artist) I've ever seen.

When I play it to people that are only somewhat familiar with Sage's music or who Sage Francis is, their reaction is always really positive and the ones that already know some of the music gain a whole different outlook on it. I don't know what makes it so great, but it's the perfect blend of interview/music/documentary & comedy. I recently rewatched it after a while and thought an appreciation thread for this thing is needed. Loads of memorable moments on it. (this is the interaction part!) What are your favorites?

PS: The vocals on Liu Kang wins are one of my personal favorite things in SFR history.

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/sage-francis-life-is-easy-dvd-sale-p-28.html
Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:03 pm
anomaly
Loserface

"i don't like sex w/ guys....but i'm not against it. I just....personally, it hasn't worked out. My ass is weird. I have a pink sock that sticks out of it"

there's great words put together throughout this video
Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:09 pm
al(phonic)

my favorite hip hop dvd. second to only my floyd dvds. i hook people into sage with it. mainly via 'you gotta see the dance segment, hes the best dancer in history' bump

i love the part when he opens his mail sitting on the rock with the straight new england garb. and the car ride scenes.

i feel i 'get to know' sage more thru this vid than any other music vid ive watched. prime example being jumping on the mattress on the floor battle with sole, and the engaging-to-instantly-lost-in-thought talk on some bench
Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 am
Nemonic7

This thread made me watch this last night after not watching it in a long time and yeah this is a really good DVD. The DVD was in my car glove compartment for some reason. As I was looking for it I remembered putting it there once. I think the reason it was there was because I was going to watch it with my friend but that never happened. I need to make that happen, this DVD needs to be seen by others.
Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 pm
mattarl

I got this dvd on the Knowmore.org tour. B.dolan sold it to me.
I love Makeshift Patriot with S.O.S.
With so many awesome moments drawing you in to this intense ending.
greatness.
Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:30 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

This was really nice to read. Music DVDs are incredibly tough to push/promote/sell thanks to a thousand musicians putting out bullshit DVDs. Lazy DVD's are easy to crank out if you just toss a bunch of random footage onto a disc. I treated "Life is Easy" a lot like an album. In fact, it cost more to make than some of my albums cost, and it was definitely more of a headache to organize. It never sold all that well, and it didn't receive any special recognition, so considering the time, energy and money it takes to put these together properly I am not in a rush to make another one. It's just nice to see that Life is Easy is still being appreciated by some people.
Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 pm
iammessage

Do the Knowledge
Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:33 am
Limbs

I remember watching it (after already seeing it more than a few times) one of the last times I got high on pot and it completely blew my mind. I was convinced you were high while making it. Haha, I woke up the next day and watched it again and felt stupid. Hence, "one of the last times I got high".

It is about as good as a DVD a musical artist can make. I might watch it again as the ball drops tonight. It definitely makes me nostalgic as fuck.

Oh, and yeah, Liu Kang Wins is one of my favoriter things ever.

And there are a few moments, I think when Sage is packing a bookbag in a red shirt and talking about Farrakhan especially, that remind me so much of a childhood friend of mine. Down to the mannerisms and giggle.

Last edited by Limbs on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:26 pm
Flossin

Sage Francis wrote:
I treated "Life is Easy" a lot like an album.

It certainly shows. It feels like a labor of love and when I watch it I think it's not only enjoyable as a "well here's a dvd about a certain rapper that his fans will enjoy and music fans can use as a gateway to his catalog" kind of thing but also as a documentary movie in general. If that makes sense. It's very well put together and makes for a really good viewing experience. When I showed the whole thing to my buddy he kept talking about it all the time cause it just gives such a good vibe. Also, after we watched it, we checked out 2 other dvds that were added to some rap cds I bought (by artists who will not be named) and that was just some random bullshit and couldn't compare at all and we just turned the shit off after a while. Haha. Everybody I know that saw this dvd liked it a whole lot.

Quote:

In fact, it cost more to make than some of my albums cost, and it was definitely more of a headache to organize.

I was actually wondering how it was all filmed. Did you have a camera man following you on tour & during your every day life for some period of time, filming it all, and the best bits were arranged into a documentary and made it to the dvd or was there some grand plan behind what will be recorded from the beginning?
Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:27 pm
Limbs

The drunk dude in the parking lot talking to the camera about coming to see Sage is one of my favorite parts too.
Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 pm
Flossin

Limbs wrote:
The drunk dude in the parking lot talking to the camera about coming to see Sage is one of my favorite parts too.

"I love putting ice cream on little kids and licking it!" and the whole segment about checking mail and saving money on a copy machine was golden.
Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:34 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Ive always wondered....how DO you get 4 color copies for a dollar? Always bothered me it was cut out.

Also the protest scene w Sage wearing the cape holding up blank picket signs and yelling about Eurasia was hilarious
Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:33 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i always liked that back and forth freestyle playin around between sage and sole

THAT is hiphop
Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:33 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Neuro wrote:
i always liked that back and forth freestyle playin around between sage and sole

THAT is hiphop

that atomic bomb line w/ the blanket at the end makes me cringe
Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:14 pm
Prontoid

it actually reminds me I use the phrase "yer, I'm a philanthropist" alot sarcastically which is a direct rip from the Sage Sole freestyle....
Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next