Search
Register
The next Beatles?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

FranktheP wrote:

I think you are missing that most names on your list and countless others were influenced to do what they do because of the Beatles. As time goes on I think people lose the fact that the Beatles changed music.

Yeah but who cares?
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:57 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Kanye West is no Beatles. What the hell? I don't even like most Beatles songs but holy shit Kanye West = Beatles? I think some people are on LSD, in addition to aforementioned band.

I think just about everyone on earth that cares about music, cares how the Beatles changed it. Except maybe you. Hah.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:58 pm
tommi teardrop

yeah but if you are just talking influence, Chuck Berry and Little Richard would be in that same conversation. What makes the Beatles unique, and the purpose of this thread, is not their influence, but their move from teeny pop stars to critically acclaimed innovators/experimentalists.

So the reason that Kanye is being mentioned here is that he was a pop/rap star that just recently put out a Sgt Peppers esque album that has gotten the most universal praise that I have seen in recent history.

When 14 year old kids of today are the ones dictating through media what is important musically, Kanye will be portrayed far differently than he is right now.

You think there weren't elitists back then that ripped on the Beatles just like people do on Kanye now?
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 pm
Bicycle

I used to like the Beatles quite a bit but then I tried listening to Wings and it sorta ruined everything. Fuckin Paul. Dude always came correct on the bass though
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:21 pm
spagucci-one

anomaly wrote:
dude, you just spoke as if Green Day and RHCP were great. You deserve what's coming.

No I didn't. I answered the question. There was not a single ounce of praise towards either band. But on that note, RHCP and Greenday are good bands and I would listen to their music over Kanye's any day.

futuristxen wrote:

Kanye West has more hits on his last two albums than Green Day had in their whole career. And RHCP have never been that popular. In fact, neither of those two bands have ever been the most popular act in music. At any point.

Um- you need to go back and check your facts cause you are completely wrong.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:28 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

tommi teardrop wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:
As for Kanye...what classics does he have? Is his music the one of a generation? Somehow I can't picture 20 years in the future when the 2000's station comes on, someone turning up the dial on that douchebags song and saying "ahhh, those were the days...."
I will bump Can't Tell Me Nothing, Hey Mama, Amazing and the entire MBDTF until the day I die. And I'm sure Stronger, Jesus Walks, Golddigger, Power and All of the Lights will remain classics for years to come.

Runaway, or the douchebag song, as you called it, is a classic to me also. Young, rich and tasteless.

Most of the Beatles best stuff is stuff that doesn't make 1960s radio stations, so I don't see why you'd need to turn on a 2000s station in the future, I enjoy almost all of Kanye's catalog. He's got style, raps smart, he can afford to clear some great samples and he crafts amazing beats with 'em. I like that a lot of his newer stuff isn't traditional chorus, hook, chorus, hook, chorus, hook. It's progressive. Maybe he's just the George Harrison of hip-hop... Or the Eric Clapton.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:56 pm
Tempest

Kanye is not good. Somebody mentioned Outkast. They may not have had any huge songs recently but they're definitely more Beatles-esque in my eyes.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm
futuristxen

spagucci-one wrote:

No I didn't. I answered the question. There was not a single ounce of praise towards either band. But on that note, RHCP and Greenday are good bands and I would listen to their music over Kanye's any day.

Yeah but there are a ton of bands I'd listen to over RHCP, Green Day, and Kanye West--it wasn't the question I don't think. The question was about who was the new beatles/closest to the beatles--which to me is asking who is the most popular artist of an era who went from straight bubblegum pop to experimental weirdness and pulled it off. And to me that's gotta be Kanye West. His latest album is completely bonkers, but it still works, and he started out just making straightforward hits that were popular.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm
futuristxen

Tempest wrote:
Kanye is not good. Somebody mentioned Outkast. They may not have had any huge songs recently but they're definitely more Beatles-esque in my eyes.

You can't be "Beatles-like" if you have no fans. Outkast has never been beatles level popular. Average person knows who Kanye West is and has an opinion on him. Average person doesn't know who Outkast are, and of the percentage who know who Outkast are, I bet 25 percent of them couldn't tell you the names of the two rappers IN Outkast, or the names of more than two of their songs.

If we're just going to pick bands or rappers we like and say they are like the Beatles because we like them and think they are good--then Sage Francis is John Lennon. /end thread
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:45 pm
spagucci-one

Kanye didn't have Beatlesque fans either. Is was not till his second or 3rd album when he started to become more mainstream. Even to this day I know people who don't know his music.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm
futuristxen

Brittany Spears then.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

b. dolan wrote:
spagucci-one wrote:
Kanye= new Beatles? You must be tripping on LSD. I think there are few bands that we will be talking about in 40 years. I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day are among those few.

i'm gonna stop reading this thread right here. go away and never come back. for my health.

seriously.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 pm
Jesse Custer

Get the fuck out with this Kanye nonsense.

In what way was his last album groundbreaking or experimental? He has done some interesting shit with the videos but there's nothing wildly original about the music.

It is a good pop record though.

Also, I can't think of anyone who was more popular than the Chilli Peppers around the time after the Californication album.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:21 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Jesse Custer wrote:
Also, I can't think of anyone who was more popular than the Chilli Peppers around the time after the Californication album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_mathers_lp#Charts_and_certifications
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:29 am
Jesse Custer

Arguable, I guess..

I'm not looking to prove it definitively though and I don't really see any point in trying to do so. That was just an aside really.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:39 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next