Search
Register
Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AdamBomb

Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.  Reply with quote  

So, my wife is working part time as a waitress while she is going to school. My sister is also a former waitress who has worked everywhere from IHOP to fine dining where people are "career waiters".

Anyway, I am shocked to find out what goes on and how much of shits people are. I think all people should go to a "how to act at a restaurant class" in high school or maybe take a course where you can get a license to allow you to be able to enter a restaurant. The more I learn, I think that what should be common knowledge is sparse amongst people that eat out.

First off, in Louisiana and many other states, wait staff gets paid $2.13 an hour (or similar). The restaurant gets by the "minimum wage" requirement by counting tips as inclusive of your hourly wage. So, the dipshits that have the mentality "why should I leave a tip? What are they paid for?" should be beaten. Waiters have to tip out the bartender, the bus boys, the food runners, and the hostesses out of 3% of the food sales, regardless if they got a tip. So, if you tip your waiter $5 off of a $100 meal, they will get $2 for the hour they slaved over your table in addition to the $2.13 (or just $2.13 if you are a cheap asshole). So, when you tip, the waiter is only going to get a percentage of that (which is also entered into a computer and taxed).

If you go to a restaurant and don't have enough for a tip, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. Both my wife and my sister have had countless tales of really nice customers who apologize that they will "tip extra well" next time because they didn't bring enough for a tip. Tip 15% minimum and 20% (round up) if its really good service. 10% for take out orders is proper. Bitch all ya want, but that is how its done if you have a crumb of class.

Next, when a waiter comes to your table to take your order at a big table, let them come around and take all of your orders in order. Don't bark out orders haphazardly amongst the table. They have a numbered pad that requires everyone to go in order so the food goes to the right person.

Remember your waiter has other tables and is not "dicking around" somewhere else. Sometimes the hostesses fuck up and seat people wrong. Sometimes the kitchen fucks up. Sometimes people quit and the restaurant is running under-staffed. Don't take it out on your waiter if things are going as smooth as you wanted. Be reasonable...think about reality. Look at the big picture and quit being a dick.

Don't snap your fingers at waiters. Don't belittle or cuss at your waiter. Don't project your shitty day on people who more often than not have shitty days.

Well, there ya go. Feel free to chime in if you have something to add. I think a lot of people have had shitty waiters, but more often than not you have waiters that want to do your table well so you are happy (the owner is happy) and they get a good tip. If things seems crappy from your perspective, give em the benefit of the doubt. Its a tough job and most make very little money while they feed their kids as a single mom or keep their POS Tercell running for one more week. Have a heart.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:41 am
poopsnack

+1
I just tell people to add 20% to each price as they look at them "Oh, that salad is 10.00? Think 12.00."
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:51 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Snapping your fingers and yelling for the wait staff is common practice and accepted in some countries.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:55 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

well said adambomb

but this message needs to be flashed across the tv's around the world, have it constantly scrolling across the bottom of whatever your watching , like its some sort of weather warning

it should be common sense but HAH
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:58 am
Bicycle

I went to eat with some friends years ago and one of them was complaining about the waitress. I decided I would tell the waitress all about it as a sort of light hearted ribbing, but my monotone speech patterns can tend to put a blunt end on those sorts of endeavors so I just ended up being offensive and rude. Im an unsocialized sorta person. I still feel embarassed about that

I dont ever order anything over ten dollars and usually leave 3 to 5 dollar tips depending on what I have for quarters in my pocket. Are quarters acceptable tipping tender?
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 am
Raoul DeGroot

Tippin' guidelines from me

-20% is the new 15%

-Never tip under that 20% minimum unless the server actually slapped your baby and insulted your shoes. They're not your little minion. They should be able to count on a reasonable salary, whether they had a bad day or not. Just complain if they're really awful and you can't stand it.

- Do tip 15% at really fancy restaurants though. When food is marked up to over $30 bucks a plate - they're doing okay. I don't think their job is twice as hard as your average greasy spoon server. Plus they're usually young single actors n shit. They don't need to bring home the bacon at the same level as lifers.

Tipping should be abolished though. It's some fucked up sexist shit that businesses like to perpetuate because it lets em offload some expense and list food at lower prices. Plus patrons like to keep the people handling their food nice n subservient. Dumb. Just let people do a job and get paid like the rest of us.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:42 am
Brynjar

Maybe it's just because I'm from Europe but the problem, as I see it, is $2.13 an hour minimum wage not the "why should I leave a tip? What are they paid for?" attitude.

One thing I don't get about tipping is why should I tip more if I eat for $200 then I should tip for a $100 meal, heavier plates?
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:49 am
empti

In some restaurants and states the computer programs used to input orders under a server's specific account, as well as clock in/out, automatically claim 15% of what you rang up as your end of day tips. And thus your 3$ an hour check is taxed as if you're paid 12-15 an hour.
Only thing is if you're stuck getting every non/terrible tipping asshole in your section and wind up with say, only 9% of your sales being tipped, you're still getting your ass taxed for that 6% you didn't see. Basically losing hourly earned income simply by being at work.

No bueno. Restaurants being allowed to pay less than half the federal minimum wage to their employees simply because they think they make enough in tips to cover the loss, followed by the fed turning around and taxing their measly check into oblivion is just wrong.
Factor 15-20% into the cost of your meals, use that extra income to pay your employees a fair wage, and then let your customers know tipping is NOT required.
done and done.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:30 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

empti wrote:
Factor 15-20% into the cost of your meals, use that extra income to pay your employees a fair wage, and then let your customers know tipping is NOT required.
done and done.

Bingo.

Adam, my wife is a waitress so I get what you're saying, but it's not always that cut and dry. For example, sometimes the waitstaff really does, as you put it, dick around.

One of the more recent times my wife and I have been out to eat, our waitress said she'd be right back to check on us and was gone for a while. My wife and I are both very patient and understanding with waitstaff, so we gave her the benefit of the doubt. Eventually (say fifteen minutes later) I realized that a person I'd seen in a side room texting for quite some time (thinking it was an employee on break) was our waitress.

We lowered our tip. We had a schedule to meet to catch a show afterward, and were needlessly rushed to leave the restaurant once we finally flagged someone else to get us our bags to go. You can be nice at your job, but if you're texting for fifteen minutes while you have a table, and you're caught at it, even sympathetic people will lose sympathy.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 pm
spagucci-one

Bicycle wrote:
Are quarters acceptable tipping tender?

No quarters are not acceptable.

Have you guys seen the movie "Waiting"? It's a classic take on all the shit restaurant workers go through.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:35 pm
JohnSchwan

Brynjar wrote:
Maybe it's just because I'm from Europe but the problem, as I see it, is $2.13 an hour minimum wage not the "why should I leave a tip? What are they paid for?" attitude.

One thing I don't get about tipping is why should I tip more if I eat for $200 then I should tip for a $100 meal, heavier plates?

Because chances are you don't just have a $200 bill just by ordering more expensive food. You either have more people with you, order more things, or order alcohol and by doing this you give the waitress or waiter more work or more people to tip out(the bartender).
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:37 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I disagree - quarters are absolutely acceptable. I bartended for years, and had no problem if people left a bunch of quarters. Not only did it help me get change in my drawer, but it was a little extra dough.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:17 pm
Szechwan

Brynjar wrote:

I gotta agree here. Minimum wage in BC will be $10.25 by May of 2012. If I have a server I like, they get 20%. If they're competent but just going through the motions, they get 15%. If they're atrocious.. well I suppose it just gets progressively smaller until I might not be inclined to tip at all, but I haven't been put in that situation.

My sisters paid their way through University by serving, they could walk out of the restaurant with $150 in tips after a decent weekend shift. Some goes to tip-out for sure, but they still get a 2week paycheck on top of that money.

$2.50 minimum wage? Fuck that.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:23 pm
Raoul DeGroot

breakreep wrote:
We lowered our tip. We had a schedule to meet to catch a show afterward, and were needlessly rushed to leave the restaurant once we finally flagged someone else to get us our bags to go. You can be nice at your job, but if you're texting for fifteen minutes while you have a table, and you're caught at it, even sympathetic people will lose sympathy.

When regular people are bad at their jobs, they don't get their pay docked on the spot by some guy with a schedule.
They get complaints, they get bad results that are noticed by the bossmen and then they get talked to or fired if need be.

It's fucked up for some random dudes to be in charge of your salary. That's not random dude's job.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:26 pm
Mikal kHill

If I'm with someone and they tip less than 15%, I never go out with them again.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next