Search
Register
RIP Al Davis.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

RoNn1e

RIP Al Davis.  Reply with quote  

Damn. Very sad to hear. I've been a Raiders fan my entire life. This years team has lots of potential because of Al Davis, hopefully they make him proud.

ESPN's article is a pretty good read... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7074380/oakland-raiders-owner-al-davis-dies-82
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:09 am
selfworth

I didn't turn on espn this morning so i didn't know until i was at my son's game. This is bittersweet news. I have been saying for year that he was holding the team back, but you can't deny what he did for the afc and nfl. this is the end of an era for many aspects of the game. This just scares me that the team could end up going somewhere and i don't know if i could follow them, i think i would feel like a baltimore fan that loved the colts until the left town. i think i could deal with LA with that were their move but anywhere else i would feel betrayed by whomever was controlling the team. does anyone know who would take his place? i have heard an amy trask, i think she is the gm?
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:42 am
Dr Sagacious

Iunno, but the team deserves a good owner after all those horrible seasons.

Al Davis did some great things, and some questionable things, with that team. He was an iconic figure in the game for well over 40 years. R.I.P.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:46 am
mzehe916

I have mad respect for this guy. He did it his way. Right or wrong. Safe home.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:48 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

RIP to a legend.

Dude brought me three Super Bowls in my lifetime.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:02 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

The King is dead in Oakland at last, eh?

Can't deny what he did for the league and he was certainly an iconic figure. I'm glad I didn't work for him or back his team, though. Who will take the reins? He had a daughter who was involved didn't he, or am I thinking of Any Given Sunday?
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:09 pm
adic

RIP Mr. Davis... A true legend...

It was easy for people to hate on him, especially since the Raiders haven't been good the last decade. He even seemed to fan the fire at times, but his influence on the entire game of football was like no other person, and he took very good care of the people close to him...

Word is his son Mark gets the team, and that he'll likely hire a GM/Scouts/Admins/etc to do all the stuff Al used to do...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/tag/_/name/al-davis-dies
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:35 pm
bbreakz

As a lifelong NFL fan, I remember the 80s raiders being one of the first teams I liked besides the Pats. I really bought into the bad boy image and I loved Lyle Alzado and Marcus Allen.

Its too bad he held the reigns too long because it tarnished his legacy. But then he wouldn't be Al Davis if he did that.

If you get to watch the Full Color Football documentary you get a lot of insight just how badass he was. He went after the NFL and its stars and he nearly beat them. By the time of the merger the AFL was getting close to beating the NFL in ratings and he thought that leage would eventually stand on its own.

RIP either way.
Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 am

Jump to: