Search
Register
Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Szechwan

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
breakreep wrote:
We lowered our tip. We had a schedule to meet to catch a show afterward, and were needlessly rushed to leave the restaurant once we finally flagged someone else to get us our bags to go. You can be nice at your job, but if you're texting for fifteen minutes while you have a table, and you're caught at it, even sympathetic people will lose sympathy.

When regular people are bad at their jobs, they don't get their pay docked on the spot by some guy with a schedule.
They get complaints, they get bad results that are noticed by the bossmen and then they get talked to or fired if need be.

It's fucked up for some random dudes to be in charge of your salary. That's not random dude's job.

Once again, if they weren't being paid slave wages, this wouldn't be an issue.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:33 pm
TV

I never waited but I delivered food many years ago for a few different places. We got paid minimum wage and something like .60 per delivery at one job (nothing per delivery at other jobs), so tips would be most of what we made. One thing that drove me nuts was delivering to workplaces and the one person in charge of all the money counts out what the total is in front of you and has a stack of ones left that they then stuffed in their pocket. So 6 or 8 people all give this guy the money, plus a buck or two for tip, but this guy pays exactly what the bill is and eats for free. Or the people who would say "Sorry, my job is paying for this so I can't tip." All the more reason to kick in a buck or two you cheap fuck. Years later I had a job with a business credit card and tipped 20% plus all the time when on the road and never caught shit for it. Shitty excuse either way.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:12 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Re: Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.  Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:
10% for take out orders is proper

Say what? I've never heard of this. Who are you tipping exactly, the person who answers the phone?
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:54 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
When regular people are bad at their jobs, they don't get their pay docked on the spot by some guy with a schedule.
They get complaints, they get bad results that are noticed by the bossmen and then they get talked to or fired if need be.

On the other hand, in that situation I'd rather get a smaller tip than have my boss approach me after my shift ends and say "Do you have a minute?"
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:29 pm
tommi teardrop

Tipping is stupid, but until their is a non-tipping revolution, just tip more than you think you should.

The way you treat people who work servant type jobs is a window to your soul.

I do hate tip jars though. Fuck tip jars.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:02 pm
Szechwan

tommi teardrop wrote:
Tipping is stupid, but until their is a non-tipping revolution, just tip more than you think you should.

The way you treat people who work servant type jobs is a window to your soul.

I do hate tip jars though. Fuck tip jars.

or the "Karma Jars" spreading like a plague
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:12 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

just the idea of tipping gives me anxiety, and it isn't because i'm cheap. it's just that i don't want to have to think that much.

just add that money into the bill. tell me what you want me to pay. don't make me do math and have to learn an invisible rulebook of percentages and scenarios. just fucking tell me what it costs so i can pay the correct amount for the service i am engaged in and everyone can be compensated.

of course i don't blame waiters or people who need to be tipped for this... i blame the places they work for. 'gratuity included' is my shit.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I believe in leaving big tips. I probably exceed 100% in tip on at least one check a week.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:05 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

100% goddamn, what level of service justifies that? I go 20% by default and adjust up or down based on service (15% usually being what you get if your service is deplorable), but I' never tipped 100% even for the most m.c. propadopolousness.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:35 pm
Jonthekingdon

20% by default. if the waiter is shitty, let them know, chances are they already know. I have been waiting tables for a few years now and its been such a learning experience.

don't be douchy and not tip. we all remember you and if you ever plan on returning, you will get shit treatment.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sarcastro

honestly, fuck you. I tip well, and I'll almost always give at least 15% to even mediocre service, but fuck you for expecting such things. There is a shit ton of waiters and waitresses that straight up suck and when you suck at your job you don't deserve a nickel more than is listed on the final bill.

if you get paid $2.13 that's your fuckin problem, take it up with management or go get another job, the people that showed up to the restaurant aren't there to pay your wage.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 pm
spagucci-one

Funny that non-US folk are against tipping. Just a heads up, tipping is customry in the US and when you are here in the States, tipping is a MUST!Oh well, this is what happens to those non tipping rude customers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v1mp8X6EI0
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:32 pm
phataccino

I'm a habitual over-tipper. I almost always tip between 20-25 percent and if I get really bad service, I'll drop down around 15. Twice in my life I've tipped nothing and both times it was extremely warranted. Also, the lower the bill, the higher percentage I'll usually tip.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:35 pm
spagucci-one

Here is another scene. The customer just tipped somting like $4 on a $100 tab.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 pm
Mark in Minnesota

@GrantherBirdly: I started with the observation that on most checks, the difference between an acceptable tip and a great tip is usually about $5, and $5 doesn't mean that much to me.

Even just observing the rule about $5 more than what I would have tipped anyway started getting me long pours at bars, free soft drinks in restaurants, more frequent refills, greeting by name, etc. I didn't start doing it looking for quid pro quo but it's hard not to notice once it starts happening.

Over time I've gone beyond that. I tip not just according to the service I receive, but according to the service I hope to receive in the future, or more often in accordance with the idea that an unusually generous tip can sometimes make the difference between a good shift and a bad shift for someone.

The service has improved accordingly. I get free drinks and desserts pretty regularly at half a dozen restaurants around town, plus food recommendations, additional consideration from the kitchen on special orders, etc. I've had bartenders at nearly-full bars talk other patrons into changing seats to make room for my party, let us lock-in with them well after close, even offer me rides home on nights I had too much to drink.

Over time some of these people have become friends outside of their places of employment, and some of those friendships have outlasted the employment.

All that said, it's become a very personal thing for me, a way of being cool to people who are cool to me. I don't do it because I expect anything in return, really--there are at least a few people out there who would probably tell you that they got my best tip on their last day working. There are others who will tell you that my best tip came on a day they gave me poorer than typical service. Really, the idea that I should use the tip amount as a way of keeping score has come to creep me out a little. I do nice things to be nice, not to deal out measures of reward versus punishment.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next