Search
Register
interview with some school newspaper. 2/15/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with some school newspaper. 2/15/03  Reply with quote  

"Who are some people, either within music or outside it, who influence you? Do you have any heroes?"

Chuck D was my main hero growing up. Chuck D and KRS One. Right now, Bob Dylan and Neil Young are the main people I enjoy listening to. Heroes? I don't think I would call anyone my hero. The closest thing I have to heroes are my mom and dad.

"What do you think of hip-hop today, for example: Mainstream versus underground?"

I don't think much about either. They don't effect me. There are people involved in both whose company I enjoy. Mainstream and underground are a matter of financial backing.

"What are your feelings on how hip-hop has changed? Has it degraded, do you think “old school is better“?

Old School, by rule of thumb, is usually always better. But that's because there is so much nostalgia attached to it. For us to write off the old school, we'd have to dismiss a lot of the things we experienced while listening to it. We'd have to shit on our past. haha. I don't mind shitting on my past. There is hiphop that is coming out right now that I believe is much more important and enjoyable to listen to than anything that came out in the first 10 years of hiphop. That doesn't necessarily mean it's better though.

"If you had to start from the beginning again, right now in 2003, would you still have gotten into hip-hop?"

Well, hiphop offers the vocalist to say a LOT. I have a lot to say. Sometimes it might be better to work in a structure that only allows me 50 words per song, but music forms of this nature lend themselves to a lot of "slaganeering." I am given the opportunity to clearly explain an idea and articulate it well. I use that opportunity within the hiphop format. That's one of the main reasons hiphop appealed to me in the first place. I really don't know if I would be involving myself in hiphop if I was only starting right now though. I'm sure I would be utterly turned off by what the media presents to me as "hiphop" and that's something people can't escape.

"If you could make money and be successful doing one thing besides music, what would it be?"

Writing books or working for some publication.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:17 pm
praton3030

nice interview, personally, people who influence me musically r u and Tom Waits, can't compare old school and new school, two different styles
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:51 pm
killedbysharks

speaking of bob dylan...  Reply with quote  

i was curious about that sample of bob dylan talking. i saw what that was from on television a couple years back, but i dont know what it was. It just saw him sticking it to some old man, and i thought that was pretty cool, then i remember a bunch of screaming fans storming the venue, but i wish i knew what that was. so please let me know, im curious
sage did a good job with the samples; Happiness, that is the best part in blue velvet, scary. driving around listening to that roy orbison song is really uncomfortable
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:28 am
sextilliondollarman

doesnt the "old school" make the "new school"...evolution...
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:10 pm

Jump to: