Search
Register
Album Sales by Format-last 30 years
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Jesse

Was Black Knights the crew Warcloud/Holocaust was in? I always had the sneaking suspicion that their Wu-affiliation was extremely thin. It never seemed to result in any collaborations, or evident attentions from the main Wu family. They just talked about bees a little... and ghost pirates a lot.

The "vinyl is back" wackiness is based on kind of embarrassingly limited analysis that fails to take into account how much all music sales are down, and how much all physical music media sales are down, and how little vinyl was selling in whatever year was just prior to the one they're pointing to as a great leap, and how few sales are actually represented by those figures when it's all said and done.

Like if vinyl was an artist, that artist didn't quite make it to triple-platinum last year. That's not taking over. That's just not crumbling as quickly.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:49 pm
tommi teardrop

Yeah I don't remember if Holocaust was formally a member of Black Knights or if he was just on a bunch of their songs. Then he switched up his flow and started rapping about animals and shit. Dude sounded like a lunatic on the BSBD record. But I still hear people praise that record and his other output.

But yeah I guess Black Knights were Wu's attempt to have a west coast representative. Dr. Doom was great, but I guess he got killed. I think Northstar was west coast too. I don't know about Royal Fam or 12 o'clock.

It's so funny to look back on my wu fandom. I was convinced that RZA would drop the best rap cd of all time and I thought Holocaust was gonna kill shit on his solo album. Never really panned out.

Maybe I should see what Shyheim is up to. I still love the song with him and Hell Razah. I like a lot of the songs on the Swarm actually.

I think I'm gonna go on a wu affiliate download spree tonight.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i havent visited this in awhile but im sure you can find all kinds of great info here

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/

i havent listened yet but i heard Timbo King has a new album that is fire http://youtu.be/MVNayVDDZ2E

maybe we should start a Wu thread for further discussion
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 pm
Captiv8

I burned all of my CDs to my computer and an external harddrive and sold about 90% of them a few years back. This was propelled by a desire to reduce the space and weight about 300 CDs took up and to earn a little extra cash. But I do still have some select vinyl that I think is timeless or just plain awesome to keep around. I also still treasure a Wayne's World soundtrack tape. Other than that my collection is entirely digital now.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:52 pm
mancabbage

futuristxen wrote:

Amazon is definitely capitlizing on it right now though it seems. They have a whole section of their store that is just vinyl releases/re-releases. I think that's where I got Cocorosie's last album from on vinyl. As well as the National.

isit? How do you get it to show vinyl results only?? I gotta be missing a trick here
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:07 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

mancabbage wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

Amazon is definitely capitlizing on it right now though it seems. They have a whole section of their store that is just vinyl releases/re-releases. I think that's where I got Cocorosie's last album from on vinyl. As well as the National.

isit? How do you get it to show vinyl results only?? I gotta be missing a trick here

1. Log onto amazon.co.uk

2. Select "Music" as your department before doing a search

3. Search for the album or band you're looking for

4. If the page does not have any vinyl results, look at the left column on the screen, the column that shows the search results itemized in various ways. Under "Format" click "Vinyl." Only vinyl results should show up.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:43 pm
bbreakz

That image looks like PacMan eating itself. Still cool. God I remember buying cassette singles.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:01 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesse wrote:

The "vinyl is back" wackiness is based on kind of embarrassingly limited analysis that fails to take into account how much all music sales are down, and how much all physical music media sales are down, and how little vinyl was selling in whatever year was just prior to the one they're pointing to as a great leap, and how few sales are actually represented by those figures when it's all said and done.

Sorry, but this is just poor statistical analysis. If this chart is correct (it should have just been a fucking line graph, btw), then it shows that vinyl has made a significant leap in popularity over the past few years. If vinyl had merely held steady as a medium of choice through the drops in sales, that would be significant in and of itself, but what's happening seems to be that vinyl is becoming the physical medium of choice for many people, with the vinyl market share being something approaching 2000% of what it was ten years ago. As of the midpoint of this year vinyl sales in the US are 41% higher than they were last year. It's not like it's some kind of "what's 41% of nothin" glitch, it's clear that there's a boom.

Anecdotally, like three different stores that specialize in vinyl have opened in my town over the past year or two. Granted, a couple of them are these sort of newfangled combination shops ("It's a record store/coffee shop/bakery!") but there aren't any CD anythings opening up. Existing record stores are refocusing on vinyl. I imagine there will be more and more of this.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:27 am
futuristxen

mancabbage wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

It doesn't look like the UK part of the Amazon store has it. But if you go to the american store and just type in "vinyl" in the search, and then click on any record, inside there they have a link to their record store:

http://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Records-Albums-LPs-Eps/b/ref=amb_link_7311932_1?ie=UTF8&node=372989011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-1&pf_rd_r=06X2CEB2DBB0G8DEQQMP&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=429154401&pf_rd_i=B000002UB2

See. It's a whole storefront. Dunno why the UK version is different. Probably something to do with the Queen though.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:06 am
laurapalmer

icarus502 wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Sorry, but this is just poor statistical analysis. If this chart is correct (it should have just been a fucking line graph, btw), then it shows that vinyl has made a significant leap in popularity over the past few years. If vinyl had merely held steady as a medium of choice through the drops in sales, that would be significant in and of itself, but what's happening seems to be that vinyl is becoming the physical medium of choice for many people, with the vinyl market share being something approaching 2000% of what it was ten years ago. As of the midpoint of this year vinyl sales in the US are 41% higher than they were last year. It's not like it's some kind of "what's 41% of nothin" glitch, it's clear that there's a boom.

Anecdotally, like three different stores that specialize in vinyl have opened in my town over the past year or two. Granted, a couple of them are these sort of newfangled combination shops ("It's a record store/coffee shop/bakery!") but there aren't any CD anythings opening up. Existing record stores are refocusing on vinyl. I imagine there will be more and more of this.

I super goddamn loved the record store/coffee shop/bakery jawns. Now that i stopped drinking coffee...not as much as before, but still like it. Make that shit work, i say.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm
Nahgied

icarus502 wrote:
it should have just been a fucking line graph, btw
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:41 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

hell yeah, fuck a pie chart. It's all about bar graphs.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:16 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

when people realize... that the mp3s that they bought are essentially junk... and when storage/bandwidtch, etc catches up with hi fidelity sound systems at home. people will realize that the thousands of dollars they spent on mp3s are as useless as having the music on a 8 track... at that point they're gonna wish they had cds to rip FLAC or better quality rips of their music. this will lead to more sales for us. people will yearn to get the record in the newest available hi def quality. my prediction.

im not a audio phile. so i dont even fully agree with this statement. but there is something to it.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm
AdamBomb

bigsole wrote:
when people realize... that the mp3s that they bought are essentially junk... and when storage/bandwidtch, etc catches up with hi fidelity sound systems at home. people will realize that the thousands of dollars they spent on mp3s are as useless as having the music on a 8 track... at that point they're gonna wish they had cds to rip FLAC or better quality rips of their music. this will lead to more sales for us. people will yearn to get the record in the newest available hi def quality. my prediction.

im not a audio phile. so i dont even fully agree with this statement. but there is something to it.

Then in 30 years, people will claim there is a warmness to 192 kbps mp3s. "There's something to those artifacts!" Niche download shops will open. A new market will open up for mp3 players since they have been replaced by FLAC players and mp5s, often at double the price of a traditional player. A grandpa rocks on his front porch, thoughfully scrolling through a dusty nano...remembering when autotune and jersey shore reigned supreme. Back when he had his gnarly...

Edit: Whoa...when I typed in "S W A G" it was replaced by gnarly.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next