Album Sales by Format-last 30 years
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

poopsnack

great clip, Neuro!
Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 pm
futuristxen

bigsole wrote:
when people realize... that the mp3s that they bought are essentially junk... and when storage/bandwidtch, etc catches up with hi fidelity sound systems at home. people will realize that the thousands of dollars they spent on mp3s are as useless as having the music on a 8 track... at that point they're gonna wish they had cds to rip FLAC or better quality rips of their music. this will lead to more sales for us. people will yearn to get the record in the newest available hi def quality. my prediction.

im not a audio phile. so i dont even fully agree with this statement. but there is something to it.

Won't people just download FLAC files at that point? I don't get why they would buy CDs and then convert them. That's like two more steps than people like to do at this point.
Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 am
anomaly
Loserface

My ears aren't good enough to hear the difference between a 192 bitrate mp3 and a FLAC file.
Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:54 am
Mikal kHill

That's a bummer. :(
Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Jared Paul

I've still got my turntable, but I've only got like 40 or so albums. i go back and forth between my tape deck, turntable, cd player, and computer. Right now: Fleetwood Mac in the tape deck, Dean Martin on the record player, Stevie Wonder on cd, and Lupe on Spotify.

I remember going to Signify's house back in the day-day. That guy had a crazy vinyl collection. I think B.'s is probably pretty interesting by this point...
Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the mean
Certified O.G.

I had to check the date of this thread.

Vinyl comeback!

That story has been done to death for about 5 years now.
Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm
Limbs

I don't want vinyl to comeback. It won't be as fun to collect.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:16 am
Prontoid

bigsole wrote:
when people realize... that the mp3s that they bought are essentially junk... and when storage/bandwidtch, etc catches up with hi fidelity sound systems at home. people will realize that the thousands of dollars they spent on mp3s are as useless as having the music on a 8 track... at that point they're gonna wish they had cds to rip FLAC or better quality rips of their music. this will lead to more sales for us. people will yearn to get the record in the newest available hi def quality. my prediction.

im not a audio phile. so i dont even fully agree with this statement. but there is something to it.

Over the last 10 + years alot of people simply haven't cared about audio quality from music..which seems strange to me since everyones on the HD tip so hard on video...most guys drive around with bass blown speakers and don't even realise there speakers are sh1te and broken
Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:51 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

thats what i mean though... its a marketing thing.... i never cared about hd tv or anything.... but when it became the standard i got one...

i can see it as a ploy for record labels years down the road, some other format will become the standard and something about the fidelity of the speakers will make mp3s sound like shit... you'll have to rebuy all your favorite albums on this new format... and i'll be happy cuz i'll make money from it...

im with dude though, i cant tell the difference between mp3 and flac.

<-- not an audiophile
Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 pm
futuristxen

bigsole wrote:

i can see it as a ploy for record labels years down the road, some other format will become the standard and something about the fidelity of the speakers will make mp3s sound like shit... you'll have to rebuy all your favorite albums on this new format... and i'll be happy cuz i'll make money from it...

The sad thing is that you're not wrong...ha
Or I guess in your case, the good thing.
Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3