Search
Register
Time to shut this forum down. ANY LAST WORDS?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Time to shut this forum down. ANY LAST WORDS?  Reply with quote  

I'm not going to delete the forum, I'm just going to lock it. The content will remain. There have been so many incredible moments here. That said, it's clear that everyone has moved onto their own social media page, which makes sense at this point. I'm just feeling like it might be the right time to wrap everything up with a pretty red ribbon rather than let the forum posts trickle into absolute nothingness. That's no way to go out.

So...yeah. What say you? Any last words?

Last edited by Sage Francis on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:36 am
mattrego

Discovers Twin Rivers poker room and the forum shuts down. Coincidence?

Thank you. I don't know what else to say. This place was pretty much my intro to the internets many many moons ago. Very informative and entertaining place. Just started checking back a couple of days ago.

Where have you gone Bobby Anticon and Trav?
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:31 am
FranktheP

I still check in at least once a week. This forum has truly taught me a lot. I feel I found it at the right time in my life and I have grown in a way that maybe I wouldn't have if it wasn't here. I had a lot of views challenged by you, B, Jared Paul, Ic and a bunch of others and it taught me to see the other side more. It also helped show me musicians can be very approachable-not that all are like the SFR crew but it has giving me more confidence to show up and say hi to the artists I support. I get shutting it down. Facebook and twitter have replaced it but I will always be grateful it was here. Thanks.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:31 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

FranktheP wrote:
I still check in at least once a week. This forum has truly taught me a lot. I feel I found it at the right time in my life and I have grown in a way that maybe I wouldn't have if it wasn't here. I had a lot of views challenged by you, B, Jared Paul, Ic and a bunch of others and it taught me to see the other side more. It also helped show me musicians can be very approachable-not that all are like the SFR crew but it has giving me more confidence to show up and say hi to the artists I support. I get shutting it down. Facebook and twitter have replaced it but I will always be grateful it was here. Thanks.

Ditto.

I still lurk fairly regularly gonna miss this place.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:09 pm
Saladhead

Sorry to hear this. I'm one of the recent members. I have a hard time with other social media stuff so it was a cool place to check out updates but I understand the need to wrap it up. Thank you to Sage and co for keeping it goin for as long as it has.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:50 pm
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

I joined here in September, 2003. I still check in here regularly even while it's been quite dead. This has been a long chapter in my internet career and I'm sad to see it go.

It's been good, SFR
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:22 pm
poopsnack

Love this place. Lots of fun, and more than anything it was informative. Respect to everyone who had a positive impact on this forum and my life.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:48 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I'll miss it. I already do, I suppose.

For many years it's been the only place I talk to strangers on the Internet. I will feel more isolated knowing I can't use it in that way any more, even though there's hardly anyone here left to talk to.

The idea of seeing it locked but online bothers me as a longtime poster, because one of the side effects of that is I can no longer go back and edit past posts. It's entirely possible that at some point I will come to regret things I was writing here circa, say, 2005-2007 and wish I could edit some of them--not to make them impossible to locate since nothing ever really disappears with things like archive.org out in the world, but to allow things like Google to eventually figure out that they should no longer appear in search results.

For these reasons, I would prefer not to see the forum locked, or honestly even gone at all.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:04 pm
Jack

This place has always been too intimidating to post at (in a good way). Seriously, thank you everyone for this. From music to politics to nutsacks to parody accounts. It has been a true treasure.

Thanks sage, posters, and company. I miss it already...
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:52 pm
kayla
cutie n3wb

Aw. It's been a while since I've checked this (or any) forum regularly, but I've had lots of fun here. Y'all are pretty alright.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:06 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Jack wrote:
This place has always been too intimidating to post at (in a good way). Seriously, thank you everyone for this. From music to politics to nutsacks to parody accounts. It has been a true treasure.

Thanks sage, posters, and company. I miss it already...

Ive made myself look like a fool plenty of times on this forum but it helped me in a constructive way even the dickheads lol

this was and is the only forum ive ever posted at for the most part.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:08 am
Limbs

Dang.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:28 am
Seamus Ignoramus

There were great discussions here on topics which ranged from the weighty to the ridiculous to musical.

Some great people too, one of whom posted best practice information on how to go to the toilet once.

It's a shame to see it die out, but I'm as guilty as everyone else who doesn't post anymore, despite the fact that haven't really moved to social media either. #nofacebook

Thank you for providing this place.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:02 am
Mark in Minnesota

The gap for me involves pseudonyms. I use my real name in almost all other places, even including Twitter. I've written here previously about how doing that keeps me mindful of my online behavior, but it also means that there are no safe spaces for me to talk about certain topics. This is a community where most people use a handle but the real-life identity behind that handle is often an open secret. That helped improve the quality of this place for a long time, especially because it was tied to a moderation policy which discouraged the most aggressive trolling and flame wars, and also required new users to put some skin in the game as far as identity goes before getting an account.

A lot of people who write like I write left for Reddit, but the level of anonymity is so prized there that toxic behavior has very little consequence--even when that behavior targets people who have made their real identities known. It won't ever be the right kind of site for me, I think. This wasn't either, for a long time--but it got close.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am
Shika
shy wench

It's been a good run. I still check in at least weekly to properly lurk. Iím pretty sure this is the first forum I joined, my previous account predates this one by a couple years but it locked me out one day. Thanks Sage, you have created and curated quite a community here over the years. "It's better to burn out than to fade away."
Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:17 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next