Search
Register
"Black Ash Days" by Trademarc...worth a veiw
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

SFR announcement

"Black Ash Days" by Trademarc...worth a veiw  Reply with quote  

Difficult subject matter handled incredibly well by Trademarc in this new song. It's not easy to climb out of those dark holes we get stuck in some times. And it's not always easy for people to talk about their issues. Expressing it as eloquently as Trademarc does in Black Ash Days is a whole other thing. Can't believe he's from MA and it took me this long to hear his music. Definitely grateful to have come across this video.

Strange Famous Records is hosting the album (digital + signed CDs) right now:
https://sfrstore.myshopify.com/search?q=Trademarc+DC

Really fucking glad to find hip-hop that moves me after all the shit I've been hearing lately. ANYWAY, yeah...
Hope you enjoy it too.
Post Mon May 18, 2015 6:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Wow. No comments from the forum's peanut gallery? Maybe this place is officially kaput. This dude isn't even on SFR, but I admire his bravery to put everything out there the way that he did so I wanted to give it extra attention. Are the lurkers just lurking because they don't have an account, or are they lurking without comment because they have no opinion on this?
Post Mon May 25, 2015 5:31 am
DeadAwake

Theres not much i can say on this, musically speaking. From my perspective, I dont see depression as a sickness, at least, not in the way people usually do. Many people seem to view the meaning or goal of life as an attainment of happiness. This shows life is not understood, for unhappiness is the other side of happiness, and is a necessary part. To suffer, to struggle with yourself provides a means of growth which cannot be substituted in any other way. Of course, shunning "the bright side" of life results in the same but opposite type of disharmony.

I give respect to Mark, because he can be sincere with himself in a way that a good deal of people aren't.
Post Mon May 25, 2015 8:18 am
Limbs

I now do my best to read your posts like Mel Gibson, deadawake.

As for the song, I dunno. Just wasn't feeling it. I almost made a dumb bald/beard joke but didn't as to not sidetrack for anyone who did feel it.
Post Mon May 25, 2015 11:26 am
xGasPricesx

I just didn't have much to say about the song. I didn't think it was bad, it just didn't really grab me in anyway and I have other artists that I listen to that talk about similar things but do so in a way that speaks to my sensibilities a lot better. I feel the same way about this guy as I do about someone like Murs, in theory they both talk about things that are up my alley, but the ways in which they do it just don't really hold my attention.

Also, to DeadAwake, I feel like you might be confusing someone saying they "feel depressed" and clinical depression, as those are two very different things. The former is generally just someone who is going through a rough patch in life, while the latter is someone with a legitimate chemical imbalance in their brain that makes it nearly impossible for them to feel joy/happiness most, if not all, the time. I agree that experiencing a wide variety of emotions is important in life, but that's the thing, someone who is clinically depressed won't experience a wide variety of emotions. It's not even necessarily that they are sad all the time, numbness might be a better word but from my limited understanding even that doesn't really explain it either. I'm not a psychologist/psychiatrist so in terms of the hard science behind this stuff I am wholly unqualified. But I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss depression just because the word is used in non-clinical contexts occasionally. Stephen Fry actually did a great interview with Craig Ferguson on this subject and his struggle with depression a few years back, I'll try to link to the video later but you can find it pretty easily on YouTube searching their two names together.
Post Mon May 25, 2015 8:54 pm
d-nyce36

Decent song, props for putting out such a deeply personal track.

Isn't this dude the guy who did the album with John Cena?
Post Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 am
Saladhead

Thanks for that. Good to see a difficult subject being dealt with in such a way.
Post Wed May 27, 2015 4:27 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I don't want to harp on about this song because I think I've already shown how much I love it, but I'm surprised to see that there are people here who don't understand what depression is. The way he expresses his situation in this song impresses me in a big way. It's not just being sad. And it's not a general funk you can simply shake yourself out of. It doesn't even have to be a result of something bad happening. It can envelop you without warning or reason. It can, and usually does, negatively affect every relationship. I wouldn't say I have chronic depression, but it does strike from time to time. Anyway, yeah, when I heard this song it impressed me and hit me on several levels. Surprised I didn't know about Trademarc until now. And, yes, it appears that he did some songs with John Cena a while back. I didn't know it was a full album. Too bad we're not still doing the Church of Providence thing with the wrestling ring. ha
Post Thu May 28, 2015 12:46 am

Jump to: