Search
Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Brynjar

I think the extensive reply would have made more sense because this can apply to so many bands/artists
Post Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 am
Captiv8

How is major movie studio funding and production DIY? I think the best comparison here relates to artistry and writing, but that's hardly unique to Whedon and Francis. If Whedon was more of an auteur, maybe you'd have something.
Post Sat May 19, 2012 10:10 am
Limbs

Obviously it's a different beast. It costs a shit ton more money to make a short film than it does to make an album.

So yeah, he had to play the game. And he probably still will, cuz, why not? But it's pretty clear he is committed to putting content out on his own terms. He made Much Ado on vacation at his house. He made one of the most successful movies of all time and all he talks about is making Dr Horrible 2.

And of course none of this is meant to be taken very seriously. Shit shootin'.
Post Sat May 19, 2012 11:54 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

"the audience was pleased to see that the three-breasted woman definitely wasn't cut, so maybe there is hope. "

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/20/total-recall-new-footage-impressions
Post Sun May 20, 2012 3:21 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Netflix Instant has this movie I checked called Lo. It's really hard to explain and certainly has some elements of cheese to it, but there are some really redeeming qualities that make it very much worth watching, imo.

Takes place in a single room with a dude who summons a demon. Lots of dialogue, it comes off like a stage piece almost. The creature effects are pretty great, the acting is mediocre but it works.
Post Sun May 20, 2012 7:25 pm
anomaly
Loserface

finally got around to seeing Chronicle. Man, what a steamy pile of shit that was.

You can tell in the trustfund world of Max Landis, he has no idea how the real world works and how people really act, talk, and think.
Post Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
"the audience was pleased to see that the three-breasted woman definitely wasn't cut, so maybe there is hope. "

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/20/total-recall-new-footage-impressions

I just had a conversion with a friend about this the other day, and how if they did not include that scene we wouldn't see the movie. In the history of movies, I can't think of any other time I've witnessed a tri-boobed woman. It's iconic and must be included.
Post Mon May 21, 2012 11:23 am
Disharmony

Hellen Earth wrote:
Netflix Instant has this movie I checked called Lo. It's really hard to explain and certainly has some elements of cheese to it, but there are some really redeeming qualities that make it very much worth watching, imo.

Takes place in a single room with a dude who summons a demon. Lots of dialogue, it comes off like a stage piece almost. The creature effects are pretty great, the acting is mediocre but it works.
I watched that awhile back. It was okay, I had to skip through the nazi dinosaur-thing song sequence though because it was boring....from what I remember.

Yes, that's right people.
Post Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 pm
Astro

Watched God Bless America last night. Best movie I've seen in a very long time.
Post Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 am
anomaly
Loserface

Astro wrote:
Watched God Bless America last night. Best movie I've seen in a very long time.

did the ending kind of make you scratch your head?

I was sitting there thinking........"huuuuuuuuuuuuh? but wha, why? pfft"
Post Tue May 22, 2012 8:37 am
Brynjar

So good. Bubbles as Darth Vader,William Shatner as 3CPO and many many many more.

Post Sat May 26, 2012 3:57 am
Captiv8

My Soul to Take was pretty much trash. I rented it on the virtue of it being a Wes Craven film and I was nothing short of disappointed and bored throughout. Mind, I wasn't expecting groundbreaking cinema or something fantastic, but I was expecting a halfway decent effort at horror. No, not here. Everything about this movie is ridiculous. The first ten minutes are spent establishing that "Riverton Ripper" may or may not be indestructible and that multiple personalities might actually mean multiple souls (a Haitian paramedic tells us this, of course).

The rest of the film is filled with terrible dialogue and some sort of stupid cult system set up between the seven kids all born on the same day the Riverton Ripper supposedly died. At one point the main character pointlessly uses his cell phone to listen in on a conversation between this girl Fang and her cronies in the women's restroom. This conversation and scene was utterly pointless, made all the more so by the fact that Fang is the protagonist's sister. Just ask her, you fuck. But their relationship is tenuous, you see, because it turns out in a really melodramatic scene that main character Bug doesn't know his father was the Riverton Ripper and his sister really resents him for being so oblivious to this! Then the last twenty-five minutes of the film take place in real time (I shit you not) as everything mercifully and rather tidily comes to an end in Bug's house. Even the token black kid shows up for no particular reason and ends up dead.

The bottom line is that there is no reason to see this movie, ever. I'm no stranger to terrible horror movies. The difference here is that this had all of the flash and marketing of decent movie, giving it the veneer of professionalism, but it was probably the most poorly written thing Craven has ever done. The worst part is that it isn't campy or schlocky; it appears to be taking itself quite seriously. The only part of this movie worth seeing is the California condor (described as eater of souls and the obsession of Bug) classroom scene, which is also very much out of place.
Post Sun May 27, 2012 4:16 am
ROTTY

Just saw The Raid. Amazing Indonesian movie. Best martial arts / action film I have seen ever! Go watch this at the cinema if you get the chance.
Post Sun May 27, 2012 5:17 am
smake

I really want to see that one, the trailer looks insane.
Post Tue May 29, 2012 2:26 am
Sarcastro

ROTTY wrote:
Just saw The Raid. Amazing Indonesian movie. Best martial arts / action film I have seen ever! Go watch this at the cinema if you get the chance.

some of the kills in that movie are amazing. There was a round of applause by our theatre at the end of the final boss battle.
Post Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 57, 58, 59  Next