Search
Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Limbs

Cabin In the Woods is fucking brilliant. Totally delivers. Go in as spoiler free as possible. Don't even watch the trailer. So good.

I know I'm bias, but it made me go in with insanely high expectations (Especially considering how long it took to get it's release. I didn't think it would ever come out.) and I'd be the first one to come on here and complain about it if it ended up sucking.

If you're a fan of horror movies at all, go see that shit. In the theater. So fun.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am
selfworth

i saw cabin in the woods last night, i liked it but i would have preferred a different ending. they could have gone in the same general direction and done a little better job with it, in my opinion. but, it was quite entertaining none the less.there was lots of gore, some nudity, and some really funny parts, that were actually supposed to be funny.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:03 pm
tommi teardrop

Yeah, cabin in the woods kills. Most fun I've had at a theater in a long time. I love that someone read the script and decided to hand over millions of dollars to make it.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm
Captiv8

Well that's certainly good news. The previews make it seem pretty schlocky, but I just might check it out now. I haven't seen a horror movie in the theater since the Grudge.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:30 pm
Limbs

^I have a good feeling you'll love it. It's a loving hate letter to the genre.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 pm
AdamBomb

THanks for the Cabin in the Woods recommendation. I probably would have slept on it, otherwise. Damn...what an intense movie. Had a blast watching it. Totally not what I was expecting.
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:29 pm
mancabbage

really?! it looked like buffy the vampire slayer style teen drama dog turd to me when i saw the trailer.... but if you guys say its good i'll go peep it
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 pm
AdamBomb

mancabbage wrote:
really?! it looked like buffy the vampire slayer style teen drama dog turd to me when i saw the trailer.... but if you guys say its good i'll go peep it

Do it, man. I dont want to spoil it for you. Dont read any more about it...just go see it. You'll know what time it is afterwards. I probably said "what the fuck?" about a dozen times outloud.
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:09 pm
Captiv8

Cabin in the Woods has a 7.9 on IMDB, which is pretty fucking high for a horror movie. Most titles dwell around the mediocre to terrible range, so I have really high hopes now. And apparently it has Thor in it? I'm not sure why you left that out.
Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 am
Captiv8

So Cabin in the Woods is definitely above average horror movie fare, though I found that it largely shirks the "horror" categorization in favor of a commentary on the genre at large. It became clear early in the movie that it was going to be some kind of explanatory device for general cliches and tropes, i.e. the weekend retreat of college kids that all neatly fall into a respective clique function. There was also some insight into why, for example, the people in these horror scenarios have sex in the dank and dreary woods (though I think the nudity aspect of this scene could have been fucked with even more, in the sense that it could have been interrupted or discussed with a few short lines from the scenario engineers), people always split up, and why weapons are dropped. Overall, I think this aspect of the movie was really well done, especially since some cliches seemed to be deliberately avoided. Read, the black character did not die first, the aggro jock is explained as being "a sociology major on full academic scholarship," and the pothead is something of an anti-hero instead of merely the comic relief and foil.

I also enjoyed aspects of the engineering aspect of the film that took up the latter third. The scenes of the two protagonists in the elevator and the scene immediately following were fantastic. But then came the big reveal, which I won't spoil here. Suffice it to say, it just seemed so forced and hokey in a way that, say, Drag to Hell avoided through its deliberateness. I realize that the closing minutes were necessary because they explained the impetus for everything prior, brought closure to the film, and offered up a little social commentary, but there was something unnecessarily cheesy about the ending that made the entire movie seem cheap. But perhaps this is only a matter of personal taste.

I should add that, in a first, I had to shush two young nerd-types directly behind my girlfriend and I about ten minutes into the movie. I was willing to abide their inane banter ("Christie Projectors, I see. Typical." and "Elton John? Really?" during the Pepsi commercial "That intro is SOOOO Tarantino" and "Like you wanted realize you weren't wearing pants" and "That coffee cup bong is like a weed lightsaber" are just a few choice examples) for a while, but they were chatting away like they weren't in a theater full of thirty other paying customers. When you go to movie at the theater, it's presumably because you want to see the movie and experience it in that setting, right? Right. If you want to have a conversation, go to a friend's house, the bar, the park, a fucking coffeeshop, not the movie theater. So I finally turned around (they were also bumping our seats as they jostled for popcorn) and said, "Dudes, if you're going to chit-chat can you take it outside please? Thanks." My heart was thumping, as I'm not the confrontational sort. The small one appeared genuinely remorseful, and apologized while the big one chuckled nervously, possibly winking. I also caught sight of two girls sitting a few chair apart from the nerds in question looking quite thankful for my interjection. I felt vindicated, while my girlfriend was embarrassed.

One final note: during the scene where two of the characters are making out and the stoner dude strolls past and references a line read from a journal previously in the film: "He has a husband bulge" he says. One of the dudes behind us says "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, a husband bulge. I get it." The other one replied nonchalantly, "Ya man, it's a boner." Then they giggled.

It was a great night at the movies.
Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 pm
Limbs

^Shuuuuut up. It was awesome.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 pm
Captiv8

You're misinterpreting my criticisms for total dislike. Wrong. I think the movie was very clever and successful as meta-expression. I enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean I can't have complaints. There's nothing wrong with wanting something great to be something excellent.

I recommended the movie to three of my co-workers today as well.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:53 pm
Bicycle

I fell asleep watching Rubber the other day. I thought it was going to be a kickass movie about a tire that kills people but they fucked it up with stupid social commentary every five minutes and whatnot. Lame
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:39 pm
tommi teardrop

I'm watching the remake of Arthur for the second time I like it a lot.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 pm
SFR announcement

Haha no.

Just...no.

No, no, no.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 58, 59, 60  Next