Search
Register
BLACK ANGER ---WHITE GUILT
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

SoundDoctrine

DJDee...BET DOES center around the "black minded" focus...Believe it or not...It truly isn't an opinion...Just because there are other races taking part in the viewing doesn't change the intention of the network...
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoundDoctrine

And to prove my point further, I have watched lifetime movies with my mom...That doesn't mean that it isn't a network for women...Understand my point?
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
duke_city

Propane wrote:
but blacks also seem to be racist in other situations then it goes unnoticed.

e.g. Chris Rock

Brian
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:51 pm
SoundDoctrine

I hate Chris Rock...That's a whole 'nother thread...
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:52 pm
duke_city

First off there is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is the act of prejudging a human being based solely on race.

BET is not helping to eliminate color barriers and increase tolerance. Neither is "Friends". I mean have you ever seen so many white people in NYC, everytime I was there it was the most diverse cross section of culture on the planet. Its ridiculous and totally unrealistic to try and whitewash a show based in NYC.

Theres lots of stupid programming on TV, simple solution don't watch it.

The issue with affirmitive action is a tough one to implement fairly.

People who have come from households that were denied education in the past because of racism and who are in immediate need of help should definetely benefit form this. Notice I said "people" as in all people of all races, not only hispanics and blacks have been denied educational opportunity.

In short each affirmitive action (AA) instance should be evaluated on a case by case basis. This business of making sweeping rules like ALL hispanic or black people get into college no matter what their situation or financial background is just asking to be abused and is constantly. Theres no longer any thing as minority anyway we're all in the mix in high numbers of representation so the system of AA should change its criteria to financial and not racial.

Brian
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:01 pm
SoundDoctrine

I don't know that a point was made here about the earlier statements...
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:06 pm
Dee

dallasbboy wrote:
Propane wrote:

e.g. Chris Rock

Brian

What's wrong with Chris Rock? How is he racist?
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:04 pm
duke_city

djdee2005 wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:
Propane wrote:

e.g. Chris Rock

Brian

What's wrong with Chris Rock? How is he racist?

I hope your kidding bro.

Brian
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:06 pm
SoundDoctrine

I wanna hear your view on Chris Rock...Don't dance around the fire...Go ahead...Jump in!
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:07 pm
Dee

SoundDoctrine wrote:
DJDee...BET DOES center around the "black minded" focus...Believe it or not...It truly isn't an opinion...Just because there are other races taking part in the viewing doesn't change the intention of the network...

The point is that it takes the music and other aspects of one/many-in-one culture(s) and exposes them to a base of people who aren't aware of this/these culture(s) normally.

And Lifetime is MADE specifically FOR women to watch....men HATE it. I hate it. Most men I know hate it. Every movie on their is about a woman who gets abused, for chrisssakes, as if that's the only thing women want to see...

Lifetime is not targeted at men, it is targeted AT the audience that creates it. BET is targeted at EVERYone, not just blacks (it wouldn't exist if blacks were its only audience.) It celebrates so-called "black" culture(s), but it exposes them to other people.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:08 pm
SoundDoctrine

We can debate that...

But you DON'T have to say BLACK Entertainment Television...People will know what it's geared toward...The fact that many black forms of media feel that "black" must be displayed proves that we haven't reached a level yet of racial wellness...The need to IDENTIFY the target or subject of it being "black" in the title is ridiculous...The content will speak for itself...I believe it to be one of the most underlying forms of racism...
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:13 pm
PokeHerFace

I'm just pissed about our US History's past. I'm pissed that it was not until the US wanted cheap labor that the phenomena of slavery took a new meaning. I mean, there was always slavery (not that thats good, either). In Rome and Greece, ancient times that is, slaves were the bottom, but they were also integral to society, not just financial stability. Slaves there were teachers and tutors and such. There, slaves played a key role in the development of society, specifically children.

The whole new meaning of slavery, that America precedented, was this: Never before was slavery for the purpose of cheap labor, and never before were slaves brought out of their country, stolen from their home, and taken into a wholly different society (languages, looks, climate, methods) to perform and live in a forced barbaric condition. EVERY TIME I THINK OF THIS I GET PISSED.

However, the spirituals that resulted from the slaves secretly gathering at night and the humming and singing that wenton during work were the basis for American Music: blues, rock'n'roll, R&B, rap and jazz. This is the only positive result of slavery in america. That, and the fact that we are blessed to have a nation with Blacks, Whites and other cultures living together.

The scale is still tipped towards the whites. That is all to obvious. That pisses me off. But things are improving. We are only 150 years removed from slavery in America. Racism is here to stay as long as there are so many cultures living together, and as long as there is crime, rich and poor people/communities--pretty much as long as this is a welfare capitalistic state. I think blacks are not pissed, at least not as a majority. In comedy (Chris Rock, Richard Preyer) they make light of the racial tensions. I just think they want to move foreward as much as possible. I cannot, however, even try to accurately describe how blacks feel towards the past human atrocities in America...i am the whitest kid ever: i get sun burned from a flash light.

Last edited by PokeHerFace on Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:21 pm
sextilliondollarman

SoundDoctrine wrote:
We can debate that...

But you DON'T have to say BLACK Entertainment Television...People will know what it's geared toward...The fact that many black forms of media feel that "black" must be displayed proves that we haven't reached a level yet of racial wellness...The need to IDENTIFY the target or subject of it being "black" in the title is ridiculous...The content will speak for itself...I believe it to be one of the most underlying forms of racism...

bitch stop crying...let BET go...what about the 40acres and a mule?damn..if this was 40yrs ago "blacks" would not have "anything"..."whites" got every other fucking channel on the tube..why not be pissed about always having a "white"president..excuse me a old fucking white man as a president.

Last edited by sextilliondollarman on Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:22 pm

duke_city

Ok Chris Rock:

I first saw this guy in New Jack City so he will forever be Pookie the crackhead to me :)

Shortly after his role in New Jack City hoemboy gets a show on HBO and stumbles upon "Bring the Pain" by Method Man he adapts this as his anthem and grows a beard in an attempt to act hard.

His show is nothing short of a free for all for racism against white people. Did you ever notice how every single guest he had was black?

His comedy specials are nothing more than extended sessions of dorky white man vs. the cool soulful brother with a big dick jokes.

At the MTV awards a few years back he said some stuff along the lines of "Why can't white guys be white guys anymore, all of them trying to rap now, I thought ya'll was happy Vanilla Ice blew up"

Dude is straight ignorant since when is it a requisite that you be black to be a rapper. Does he not realize that white and hispanic people have been contributing since the beginning of hip hop?

Chris Rock digs the racial divide rut deeper with everyone word the comes out his mouth.

Brian

Last edited by duke_city on Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:24 pm
Dee

SoundDoctrine wrote:
We can debate that...

I disagree. I think it being called "Black Entertainment Television" is not a CAUSE of racism, but a symptom. In reality, ABC, NBC, and FOX ARE "white entertainment television," but there is no way they would ever call themselves that...the racism is much more hidden, so hidden that many people are still unaware that it exists...
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next