Search
Register
Tracy Morgan & the Homophobic Rant (Updated)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Mikal kHill

Tracy Morgan & the Homophobic Rant (Updated)  Reply with quote  

HEre's an article about it.

Truth Wins Out Calls On Comedian Tracy Morgan to Respond to Allegations of Anti-Gay Tirade Onstage at Nashville Show
Posted June 8th, 2011 by Evan Hurst
Questions Whether Morgan’s 30 Rock Boss Tina Fey Was Aware Of Morgan’s Allegedly Hateful Beliefs About LGBT People

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Phone: 917-691-5118
Email: wbesen@truthwinsout.org

MEMPHIS, TN: – Truth Wins Out is alarmed at allegations that well-known comedian Tracy Morgan departed from his usual stand-up routine to unleash an anti-gay tirade during his June 3 performance at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Eyewitness Kevin Rogers, who attended with his partner and a friend, gives a firsthand account which describes how Morgan’s entire demeanor changed as he allegedly claimed that being gay is a choice, that homosexuality is something that kids learn from the media, and that gay youth victims of bullying are simply “whining.” Furthermore, he allegedly said that if his son was gay and “whined” about being a bullying victim, he would kill him, using words that will not be repeated here. Morgan is also said to have called upon President Obama to “man up” and stop speaking out for LGBT kids. According to the report, these were only some of the most egregious parts of this anti-gay tirade.

“In an era when strong role models like CNN’s Don Lemon are coming out, and public figures from the San Francisco Giants to the President of the United States are loudly proclaiming their support for LGBT youth victims of anti-gay bullying, it is disgraceful for any role model to inject such hatred into the discourse,” said Truth Wins Out Director of Social Media Evan Hurst. ”The last year has seen far too many reports of gay or gay-perceived youth either attempting or completing suicide as a result of anti-gay bullying. If Tracy Morgan indeed did say these things, he needs to respond immediately with either an explanation or a contrite apology.”

Tracy Morgan has worked under 30 Rock writer and producer Tina Fey since 2006. Ms. Fey has a long record of supporting LGBT causes, and so we would ask her to respond to these allegations as well. Reports of Morgan’s homophobia onstage have circulated for years, though if the Nashville reports are true, it would seem that his hatred has reached a new level. Was Fey aware of this alleged “comedy” in Morgan’s show? Regardless, we would ask that she forthrightly condemn any sort of anti-gay hatred coming from one of her 30 Rock stars.

“I went to Tracy Morgan’s show to laugh and enjoy someone who I thought was a brilliant comic,” said Kevin Rogers, who was in the audience that night. ”I left feeling like the joke was on me. For one minority to attack another minority in such a way, without provocation, is appalling and in no way humorous.”

LGBT people are still fighting for equality all across America, and many of our teens are still very much at risk. Sadly, reports of gay youth taking their own lives due to anti-gay bullying have become all too common. Tennessee’s gay teens are in particular danger as the state legislature has endeavored over the past year to make life as difficult as possible for them, going as far as to move a bill prohibiting teachers from even acknowledging their existence in schools. Tracy Morgan is a role model to many young people, including gay kids. If these reports are true, Mr. Morgan owes them, and us all, a full apology.

“Tracy Morgan needs to respond to these allegations,” said Hurst. ”Comedians have long pushed the envelope in tackling controversial subjects. Indeed, it’s part of their job description, and good comedians are able to do this and keep everybody laughing at the same time. However, abject hatred directed at vulnerable kids is not comedy, by anyone’s definition. If these reports are true, we expect a full explanation and apology.”

Truth Wins Out is a non-profit organization that fights anti-LGBT religious extremism. TWO specializes in turning information into action by organizing, advocating and fighting for LGBT equality.

– 30 –

http://www.truthwinsout.org/news/2011/06/16926/

Last edited by Mikal kHill on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 pm
Captiv8

Michael Richards-esque.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 pm
anomaly
Loserface

just another thing to add to the list of why Tracy Morgan sucks.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 pm
futuristxen

I'm glad people are reacting to this. I hate when we wait for the context of what a comedian says during his act.

This article is like a Glaad press release. Hard to really take seriously.

Video or it didn't happen
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:20 am
Z-0

so this outrage and the demand for direct answers is based on the allegations of one person who updated their facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=108369875920604
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 am
futuristxen

Z-0 wrote:
so this outrage and the demand for direct answers is based on the allegations of one person who updated their facebook page?

Welcome to the future
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:23 am
Mikal kHill

Yeah, I googled it and while it seems that there are like 100 activist sites of varying levels of credibility all going crazy about it, but no bigger news organization seems to be touching it. If you just google "tracy morgan homophobic" a bunch of different links come up, but a lot of them point to a show he did at Carnagie Hall in 2009, where apparently he said some similar shit.

http://rodonline.typepad.com/rodonline/2009/11/fans-walk-out-on-tracy-morgans-homophobic-carnegie-hall-show.html

This says he basically was saying the same sort of shit in 2009.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:48 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Captiv8 wrote:
Michael Richards-esque.

Doesn't sound like it. But yah, we should see some video or something.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 am
Charlie Foxtrot

Have you ever seen an interview with Tracy Morgan? He's out of his fucking mind. And why would Tina Fey have to answer for this? If the guy can act he can act.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 am
Mikal kHill

Yeah, I don't understand that angle whatsoever, it's not like she's his babysitter. I guess Liz Lemon is Tracy Jordan's babysitter, but that's pretty much it.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 am
neveragainlikesheep

Tracy Morgan gonna Tracy Morgan.

To be honest, it sounds like a case of babby's first butthurt.

I'm truley sorry for their lots.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:06 am
Captiv8

icarus502 wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Michael Richards-esque.

Obviously not in the racist sense, but in the comedian who people liked more for being on a sitcom loosing their shit one night sense.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Captiv8 wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Michael Richards-esque.

Obviously not in the racist sense, but in the comedian who people liked more for being on a sitcom loosing their shit one night sense.

In the Richards situation, there was video that provided the context — he was off-script, yelling at a specific audience member. In this case, we're talking about an actual stand-up comic (Richards isn't one) doing a bit that's being paraphrased by another guy. While the Richards situation was pretty cut-and-dried, this one isn't really yet.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 am
Captiv8

I know the distinction you're making is important, especially in regard to hearsay versus video footage. Still, I think you know that the Morgan situation bears at least a passing resemblance, whether it's true or not, to the Richards one.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 am
Mikal kHill

Morgan has now apologized, thereby totally confirming it's all true.

Anyways, here's the article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/10/tracy-morgans-homophobic-remarks_n_874699.html

UPDATE: Tracy Morgan issued a statement to The Huffington Post through his representative:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”
_____

PREVIOUSLY: Tracy Morgan's latest standup set is no laughing matter.

Kevin Rogers attended Morgan's standup show last Friday and reported on his Facebook page that Morgan let loose a viciously homophobic rant that, as far as he could tell, was a dead serious attack on gay men and women. Rogers, who is gay, wrote:

I figured at some point the gay jokes would fly and I'm well prepared for a good ribbing of straight gay humor. I have very thick skin when it comes to humor; I can dish and I can take. What I can't take is when Mr. Morgan took it upon himself to mention about how he feels all this gay s*it was crazy and that women are a gift from God and that "Born this Way" is bulls*it, gay is a choice, and the reason he knows this is exactly because "God don't make no mistakes" (referring to God not making someone gay cause that would be a mistake).
Perhaps most strikingly, Rogers wrote that Morgan said:

He said if his son that was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death.
Rogers continued to describe the rant, which we've excerpted:

He took time to visit the bulls*it of this bullying stuff and informed us that the gays needed to quit being pussies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying. He mentioned that gay was something kids learn from the media and programming, and that bullied kids should just bust some ass and beat those other little f*ckers that bully them, not whine about it.
After making comments about President Obama, Rogers wrote that Morgan finished his rant defiantly:

Tracy then said he didn't f*cking care if he pissed off some gays, because if they can take a f*cking dick up their ass... they can take a f*cking joke.
As it stands, Morgan's reps refused to comment to gay issues site Unicornbooty.com, writing, "There is no comment, thank you for your inquiry."

The Ryman Auditorium issued a statement to The Hollywood Reporter about the alleged outburst, saying, "The Ryman Auditorium regrets that people were offended by statements made by Tracy Morgan during his June 3 appearance. The Ryman does not control the content presented by people appearing on its stage, nor does it endorse any of the views of, or statements made by, such persons."

Morgan has a history of homophobic tirades on stage, saying that being gay was a choice, among other things, at a 2009 standup performance at New York's Carnegie Hall.

In his acting career, however, Morgan has often played gay or at least sexually ambiguous. He played a transvestite inmate in the Adam Sandler comedy, "The Longest Yard," and many of his "Saturday Night Live" characters were of questionable sexuality, including the sophomoric zookeeper Brian Fellows.

The Huffington Post has reached out to his representative for comment, and will update if any statement is given.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next