Search
Register
Food Theory
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

ecapataz wrote:
For anyone who would like to improve their diet I would suggest following this.

If you don't know your blood type, you can use this product from Amazon and do it yourself.
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Type-Kit-Eldoncard-micropipette/dp/B000FSOCR4

Maybe I'm super gullible, but I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I've never heard of one's blood type correlating to the type of diet they should follow. It sounds far-fetched, but maybe not?
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:46 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

GrantherBirdly wrote:
ecapataz wrote:
For anyone who would like to improve their diet I would suggest following this.

If you don't know your blood type, you can use this product from Amazon and do it yourself.
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Type-Kit-Eldoncard-micropipette/dp/B000FSOCR4

Maybe I'm super gullible, but I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I've never heard of one's blood type correlating to the type of diet they should follow. It sounds far-fetched, but maybe not?

I don't know if he's serious either, but I have heard about this. My mom gave me a book about it that gets much more detailed than this chart. Its interesting if nothing else.

I guess the idea is that its based off of how old your blood is; for example I have O, which I think is the oldest? Humans at that time were mostly hunter/ gatherer types and had not yet started farming or cultivating their own food supply. Their diet was not varied and consisted mostly of meat and a smattering of fruit/ greens/ roots. Therefore, that bloodtype evolved to do best with those sorts of food. Something like that...

I'm not sure if its coinsidence or not but a lot of the things that are on the avoid list for me are things that give me troubles. I don't follow that diet by any means, its just somewhat interesting.
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:24 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Blood-type diets are real.

And scientists are now figuring out that we have different gut types, as well...

There are three types of guts and each gut has a different family of bacteria that helps break down food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/science/21gut.html?_r=2&hp
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:49 am
ecapataz

GrantherBirdly wrote:

Maybe I'm super gullible,

Yes and you're willfully ignorant as well.

GrantherBirdly wrote:

but I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I've never heard of one's blood type correlating to the type of diet they should follow. It sounds far-fetched, but maybe not?

Google, use it and make your own conclusions.
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:53 pm
name

tommi teardrop wrote:
I worry that focusing on the cost and amount of resources it takes to get organic vs. non organic at this point in time puts us in the same place as the energy debate.

Every oil lobby and republican makes the same point name does about oil vs alternative energy. Right now it costs too much to use purely alternative energy. And alternative energies have their problems too. If we outlawed oil, the world would come to a stand still and chaos would ensue. The infrastructure for alternative energy is not in place yet.

But I don't think that oil being more cost effective (even though there are other future costs, just like industrialized farming) is a reason to trivialize the work of people that are trying to make the world less dependent on oil. We have to start somewhere, no?

i really didn't want to spend more time in this thread, but hell.

your oil analogy is invalid for one glaring reason. the organic food movement, by definition, is opposed to technological agricultural advances that would have any hope of meeting the needs of planet while NOT destroying the earth as we know it. If we're not allowed to use any genetic engineering, any synthetic pesticides, any synthetic fertilizers, then where the fuck do we go from there? it is the equivalent of not only taking us back to the middle ages (agriculturally, speaking), but also making sure we stay there. what "infrastructure do you imagine we could build in the organic farming context that could possibly come anywhere near lowering our carbon footprint while maintaining current output? there is practically no reasonable parrallel here with the energy debate if you ask me.

the only way to make your energy analogy work would be to add the caveat that no further meaningful advances in solar/wind/hydro power efficiency are allowed, hypothetically speaking. or to replace the term "alternative energy" with "hamster-wheel energy". in which case, i have to admit, the oil companies would have a point.

hamster-wheel energy is more environmentally friendly, right? so it must be a better option - or at least worth looking into. if only those oil companies would stop fucking shit up and let us build our hamster infrastructure.
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

the world could learn a lot from the indoor pot farmers.
http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/advanced-techniques/
they deal with square feet.. instead of acres..
the really nerdy ones get dialed into it like a bonzai zen M.I.T. A&M student on that shit..

i'm sure if they put their minds to it, they could get a great results in small spaces with small resources.. organic hyperlocal hydroponic superfood roof gardens on every building..

but we have cheap energy right now.. it's too easy for Monsatan to just sell frankenseeds and pesticides.. it's too easy for Kraft and Nabisco factories to buy cheap subsidized soyfat and cornsyrup from Archer Daniels and ship it to Kroger to sell 10 for $10.. who wants to hire farm hands to tend to each plant when we can just fly over it with a chemical plane?..
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 pm
mindtoast

That blood type diet is bunk. The ABO blood type system is only one of the many antigen receptor systems we have. Your full blood 'type' would consist of about 30 factors. The ABO system is just the one everyone knows about. Type O is not the oldest blood group. Lectins do many different things in the body so to pick and choose food because them is pointless. Lectins don't have any known effect on blood type.
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 pm
IAmNiki

"The blood type diet is a diet advocated by Peter D'Adamo, a naturopathic physician, and outlined in his book Eat Right 4 Your Type. D'Adamo's claim is that ABO blood type is the most important factor in determining a healthy diet, and he promotes distinct diets for people with O, A, B, and AB blood types.

Throughout his books D'Adamo cites the works of biochemists and glycobiologists who have researched blood groups, claiming or implying that their research supports this theory. Nevertheless, the consensus among dieticians, physicians, and scientists is that the theory is unsupported by scientific evidence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet

Not that Wiki is the glimmering beacon of truth on the internet or anything, but at least there are sources you can trace.
Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am
Prontoid

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
I love food. all kinds. In the last 3 or so years, food has been just as much of an interest as music. But I won't refer to myself as a "foodie" because that term annoys the shit out of me. I find that most people who refer to themselves as a "foodie" are total fucking food snobs. I don't go out of my way to buy organic, free-range, cage free, etc. I buy food items that I know I will like and that I will be able to work with and be tasty. I love spending between a half hour to an hour per night preparing dinner. It's actually relaxing to me. But don't get me wrong, I'll still devour a Baconator from Wendy's like it's nobody's business. And then the next night I'll make something for dinner that is completely vegan.

got damn foodie AND emo rapper
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 pm
name

i thought this was an interesting video to revive this thread

<object><param><param><param></object>[/code]
Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 am
redball

So I'm skimming through this thread reading the dates wrong and I think, "Huh, guess I was really busy these last few days." Then I see my own post and realize that it's from last June.

I could write an entire dissertation on this topic and likely come to no meaningful conclusions. Anyway, for now I just want to clarify one point:

mlanifesto wrote:
Japanese scientists have made "edible steaks" from human shit.

Nobody bothered to debunk this. This was a hoax pulled by Koreans. There's a healthy rivalry between Korea and Japan. This was a story put out there to essentially accuse the Japanese of being shit-eaters. It is no more real than when the Yes Men proposed the same thing to a college class.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am
Anti.Agent036

This is the worst thread to read when you're fasting...grr. I am so hungry right now.

I have the poorest eating habits known to man. I eat anything I want, whenever I want. I'm disgusted with myself. The only reason I do this is because I weigh 150lbs. and have the metabolism of a rabit. I can't gain wait. I'm sure eating poorly can still effect me...I'm not an idiot. But, when I go to a doctor and they tell me I'm in perfect health, I don't have much encouragement or motivation to eat better. I really love food, and I'm fascinated by it. Growing up with a mom that owned several restaurants and is widely known as an awesome chef didn't help much either. I love healthy foods, and I also love unhealthy food. I'm just not very disciplined.
Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm
Captiv8

Question for you vegetarians out there: will you eat an animal the you kill and prepare yourself? I've been mulling this over for a while and decided that I would. My line lf thinking is that I have no business eating an animal that I 1) didn't have the nerve to kill and 2) was oblivious to the origin of. I also think that knowing how to catch, clean, and prepare a fish or fowl or other game is a useful skill. Now I just need someone to help me with these things.
Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:13 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Interesting video. I don't know, but to me it seems like most people I know are interested in local food because it doesn't have as much of an environmental impact as buying a bunch of pre-packaged tomatoes from California. He didn't seem to touch on that.

Captiv8- I can't label myself a vegetarian, but I eat limited amounts of meat. There is no way in hell I could kill anything, let alone kill it and eat it. No way. I swatted a moth out of the air and it eventually died, it haunted me for days. I was driving through a construction zone and there was a little box turtle in the road. There was no place to pull over so I kept driving. Its been bothering me for a week knowing it probably got creamed and its partially because I didn't help it. I got a soft spot for turtles.

I was wondering something similar though, my cousin's girlfriend is vegan. I haven't really talked to her about it to know if its for health or ethical reasons, but was curious if she would eat eggs from the chickens I will soon have.

Would any of you vegans eat eggs from a hen you knew was well cared for and loved?
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm
Captiv8

Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't savor, relish, or otherwise enjoying killing an animal. I just think that doing so is a part of the process of consuming an animal, and as such I think I personally need to commit to it. There is also the utility aspect to consider. Knowing how to catch, kill, and prepare a number of animals and fish is Survival 101, especially if something fucked up happens. I know that's a bit paranoid of me, but hey. Then again, I'd like to fish while camping or something like that.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4