Search
Register
Food Theory
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

tommi teardrop

Food Theory  Reply with quote  

This is the thread where we discuss our relationship with food. Are you into food? What kind of diet do you maintain? Meat? Organic? Do you ever eat fast food? Do you just eat whatever the hell you want? Do you justify your unhealthy eating habits to yourself? Is food art to you? Does eating healthy limit your appreciation of different cultures' food? Does it keep you from eating out? What about when you are with friends? Does your health take a back seat to convenience? What about your children's diets?

I've been trying to be conscious of what I eat lately. Been going to farmers markets and trying to purchase ethically farmed foods when I can. But I guess the question to me lately is how far to take it.

Should we only be eating grass fed beef? Should we completely abstain from high-fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners? Is the science solid on either one? Raw foods?

I tend to abstain from fast food unless it is a deli meat sandwich here and there. I tend to eat a lot of chicken breast with some form of steamed or sauteed vegetables and a small side of carbs (rice, potatos, bread). As far as drinks go, I try to stick to water or beer.

I'm pretty good about my diet, but I love cheese and greasy Americanized mexican food, oily Americanized asian food, pizza and chicken fingers and everything else that tastes great going down but leaves you feeling dead inside.

I guess I'm trying to find a balance between eating well and still being able to really appreciate comfort foods.

So how do you view food and what practices do you try to follow or struggle with?
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I'm hungry.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 pm
Nahgied

breakfast for the win!

on a serious note. im a big believer in eating anything that is naturally red.

that and chicken.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Buddy Peace

I've become way more interested in food topics since I tried a vegan diet- I'm vegetarian now (was vegan for a year or so) but it got me way more interested in cooking and what food groups are best to eat each day.

One thing that annoyed me about the vegan diet though was the image- I felt it was like being in a sect or a cult, and also more often than not you get into these instant debates like your diet choice is questioning someone else's (or taking moral highground)- some people were on the verge of taking offence, I found. I was never very strict though- it was only the food side of things, I didn't go in for the whole lifestyle so I still had leather products and stuff like that. That's another thing that sucked- people asking why you had a leather belt if you were vegan. In my view, just pick and choose what you like from all over the place- you can be vegan one day, and eat meat the next- so what?! There's tons of really good vegan/vegetarian meals you can make, it shouldn't be so religious or set in stone.

The raw food diet is pretty weird though- that's something I could never live by... I don't think I'd even like to try it for a day to be honest. I saw a program where parents were getting their kids on it which is mental. Maybe when they're all grown up but not when they're still growing... But that's another story, and I don't have kids so I dunno- it just doesn't seem right.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 pm
Bicycle

I suck at food and eat whatevers most convenient whenever i get bored. I got up to at least 300 pounds by the time i graduated high school then decided to mess around with the whole anorexic thing. Started smoking so I'd have a different bad habit to rely on in times of boredom and dropped 90 pounds in two years. My daily diet at that time consisted of a can of soup a sandwich and some vegetables. Starvation is preferable to feeling bloated and full all the time and I cant really seem to find a comfortable place between the two.

and Then I moved in with a friend of mine and stopped doing groceries. He didn't do groceries so I didn't do groceries so there were no groceries and I would just eat shitty gas station pizza and sandwiches all the time for a little over half a year. Gained back 50 pounds and moved out.

and thats where I am right now. Im kinda curious about the raw food diet because it's so restrictive. If there's food around, im probably gonna eat it. If there's no food around Im gonna look for the next most convenient thing. So i figure if I just stock up on sprouts and carrots and shit I should do alright. I dont know
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:06 pm
Finn

When I was in school, I ate whatever the fuck I wanted. I am a bit of a workout freak, and so took this as a point of pride: I can eat whatever I want and am dedicated enough to physicality that I wouldn't get fat when other people would. It was a way of showing off my willpower. Yes, I will eat more pizza than you. No, I don't care about getting fat, because I won't, because I work harder than you.

Then I started dating a girl who a preternaturally gifted cook and lover of food, the sort of person who can eat something and tell you everything that's in it. I was always relatively handy around the kitchen, and so we naturally cooked together a lot. Because she cared so much about food, we shopped at Whole Foods, and I started to take note of the fact that a lot of that food really did taste better. We'd make dinner together and it'd just be so goddamned delicious. It started to become a highlight of my day, and of our day. I didn't want to eat as much throwaway food, because I was so looking forward to what we were cooking.

I started to take note of the fact that there was a lot of really negative literature out there about factory-farmed meats: the animals were given huge amounts of antibiotics, they created tons of pollution, etc. I started to feel like a little bit of a dupe for buying those products, so one day, I told her that I was only going to eat meat if I knew that it was certified organic. She agreed with me.

Then we sort of just... stopped buying it. Any of it. Every so often we'd have it if she found a recipe she really loved, or if we got it from a really local farm, but for the most part, it seemed unnecessary. One day, I sort of realized I could become a vegetarian. So I did. The common sense appealed to me: it's silly to grow food to feed to other things that you will then eat, rather than just eating that food yourself. I started discovering local farmers markets, and never really looked back. You can grow a potato in your backyard. Anyone can. It's simple. With animals, it's messy, and complicated, and ethically troubling. We built a little garden in her back alley. I dug out all of the old dirt, and got buckets of cleaner dirt/compost and put it in the hole I dug. We got a shit ton of tomatoes from like, a 3x3 plot in the middle of downtown Boston, behind a building. It impressed the hell out of me.

Eating food is a sniff test thing for me now. Can I pretty much defend all of my choices? If so, I'm doing a good job.

Processed foods are ridiculous. Come on. Be serious. Somebody built a factory to create a product so they could make money off you. That's so fucking insulting to me. How is that food? I like to think that if an alien race came down, they'd look at Cheez-Its and go "Really, guys? REALLY?!" To me, if you eat processed foods, or drink soda, it's like if PepsiCo sold you a jello mold to put your dick in, and told you it was sex, and you believed them. If you regularly eat these products, you are being stupid. It's not to say that you ARE stupid, but you are certainly ACTING stupid.

Non-organic foods are the same deal. It's easy. Pesticides and chemical fertilizers are terrible for the planet. Organic food isn't always perfect, but its better. If you can't buy something organically, don't buy it at all. That's a fine motto. If organic blueberries went up to $100/lb, I wouldn't buy non-organic ones, I'd just stop eating blueberries. Better yet, I'd find the neighbor with the biggest yard and be like, hey, let's plant blueberries.

The world is ours, you know? We can pretty much do what we want with it. That's not to say that we can make anything happen, but if we want to have a planet where pesticides aren't used, we can do that. We just have to stop asking companies to use them. A lot of us are being force-fed this extremely perverse consumption lifestyle.

Like, look at the food that you're told you should be eating, and then look at the bodies you are told you should possess. They don't go together at all. Hint: the people who are selling you these things -- all of these things -- do not give a fuck. Actually, they hate you. Just break away from that abusive relationship. Tell Nestle to go fuck itself. If everyone stopped buying their products, they would be fucked. So, you control them. It's just a matter of recognizing that fact and then acting upon it.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:58 pm
TurnpikeGates

Finn wrote:
When I was in school, I ate whatever the fuck I wanted. I am a bit of a workout freak, and so took this as a point of pride: I can eat whatever I want and am dedicated enough to physicality that I wouldn't get fat when other people would. It was a way of showing off my willpower. Yes, I will eat more pizza than you. No, I don't care about getting fat, because I won't, because I work harder than you.

Then I started dating a girl who a preternaturally gifted cook and lover of food, the sort of person who can eat something and tell you everything that's in it. I was always relatively handy around the kitchen, and so we naturally cooked together a lot. Because she cared so much about food, we shopped at Whole Foods, and I started to take note of the fact that a lot of that food really did taste better. We'd make dinner together and it'd just be so goddamned delicious. It started to become a highlight of my day, and of our day. I didn't want to eat as much throwaway food, because I was so looking forward to what we were cooking.

I started to take note of the fact that there was a lot of really negative literature out there about factory-farmed meats: the animals were given huge amounts of antibiotics, they created tons of pollution, etc. I started to feel like a little bit of a dupe for buying those products, so one day, I told her that I was only going to eat meat if I knew that it was certified organic. She agreed with me.

Then we sort of just... stopped buying it. Any of it. Every so often we'd have it if she found a recipe she really loved, or if we got it from a really local farm, but for the most part, it seemed unnecessary. One day, I sort of realized I could become a vegetarian. So I did. The common sense appealed to me: it's silly to grow food to feed to other things that you will then eat, rather than just eating that food yourself. I started discovering local farmers markets, and never really looked back. You can grow a potato in your backyard. Anyone can. It's simple. With animals, it's messy, and complicated, and ethically troubling. We built a little garden in her back alley. I dug out all of the old dirt, and got buckets of cleaner dirt/compost and put it in the hole I dug. We got a shit ton of tomatoes from like, a 3x3 plot in the middle of downtown Boston, behind a building. It impressed the hell out of me.

Eating food is a sniff test thing for me now. Can I pretty much defend all of my choices? If so, I'm doing a good job.

Processed foods are ridiculous. Come on. Be serious. Somebody built a factory to create a product so they could make money off you. That's so fucking insulting to me. How is that food? I like to think that if an alien race came down, they'd look at Cheez-Its and go "Really, guys? REALLY?!" To me, if you eat processed foods, or drink soda, it's like if PepsiCo sold you a jello mold to put your dick in, and told you it was sex, and you believed them. If you regularly eat these products, you are being stupid. It's not to say that you ARE stupid, but you are certainly ACTING stupid.

Non-organic foods are the same deal. It's easy. Pesticides and chemical fertilizers are terrible for the planet. Organic food isn't always perfect, but its better. If you can't buy something organically, don't buy it at all. That's a fine motto. If organic blueberries went up to $100/lb, I wouldn't buy non-organic ones, I'd just stop eating blueberries. Better yet, I'd find the neighbor with the biggest yard and be like, hey, let's plant blueberries.

The world is ours, you know? We can pretty much do what we want with it. That's not to say that we can make anything happen, but if we want to have a planet where pesticides aren't used, we can do that. We just have to stop asking companies to use them. A lot of us are being force-fed this extremely perverse consumption lifestyle.

Like, look at the food that you're told you should be eating, and then look at the bodies you are told you should possess. They don't go together at all. Hint: the people who are selling you these things -- all of these things -- do not give a fuck. Actually, they hate you. Just break away from that abusive relationship. Tell Nestle to go fuck itself. If everyone stopped buying their products, they would be fucked. So, you control them. It's just a matter of recognizing that fact and then acting upon it.

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 am
mancabbage

i don buy food in a box
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:05 am
Limbs

I'm trying to stop binge eating. That is something I have done my whole life and it is finally starting to affect my health.

I mostly eat organic/natural foods. I obsessively check ingredient labels. I try to make things myself. I have a garden with pretty much everything I need. I rarely eat meat (only fish and poultry). In fact, every time I do I regret it immediately. For a variety of reasons. I'm working on heavily cutting back on dairy.

With all that said, sometimes convenience wins out. I just try my best to minimize it. I'm not saying sometimes I get some Arby's cuz it is the only thing open. I'm saying sometimes at family functions I eat food that I'm ignorant as to how it got to me because I don't want to be rude. And I avoid finding out to save myself the guilt.

The economical food cycle frustrates me to no end. Seeing people buy crap food because it is cheap. Poor stay unhealthy. But I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I was less fortunate with mouths to feed. It is how I was raised.

But the people who can afford, easily afford even, real food and buy crap instead to save a few bucks for their flat screen TVs. Feeding their kids poptarts and juice boxes. That gets me. What the fuck is more important than the food you eat?

I just wish people would strive for nutrition over full bellies.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 am
Finn

Limbs wrote:
With all that said, sometimes convenience wins out. I just try my best to minimize it. I'm not saying sometimes I get some Arby's cuz it is the only thing open. I'm saying sometimes at family functions I eat food that I'm ignorant as to how it got to me because I don't want to be rude. And I avoid finding out to save myself the guilt.

I think that a measure of this is fine, especially if it avoids waste. I'll greatly relax my eating principles if it means that food doesn't get thrown out. Sometimes the office orders crap food, and if it doesn't get finished, I'll have that for lunch and save the lunch I brought for the next day, or whatever. If I'm visiting my parents and they cook food, and they try and send some back with me on some "your father and I will just throw it out" type deal, I'll gladly accept that.

I give my family a hard time for the food they eat, though, if I think it's worth it. If you can't be yourself around your family members, what's the point of even having a family?
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

pizza, doritos, cheez-its, tacos, gyros, hot wings, cuban samiches,

MMMmmmm
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:52 am
LykeLotus

This is a topic I've struggled with for the past few years after realizing I wasn't at optimal health. It wasn't a weight issue, but I was constantly fatigued and had a poor outlook on everything. Most people wouldn't specifically blame the issue on food, but instead on some ambiguous chemical imbalance. I know there are certain people that do have chemical imbalances and do need medication, but I truly didn't feel I was one of them.

My doc wanted to put me on Zoloft. I took that for a month-or-so, but it made zombie-like. I wanted to get better, not dull. I skipped the rest of my medication and started education myself of everything food: food politics, food economics, gardening, cooking, nutrition etc...

I started planning my meals and buying everything fresh. I honed my cooking skills and actively participated in eating i.e. paying attention to my food, chewing and not stuffing myself while watching t.v.

Essentially, I started to pay attention and appreciate what I put into my mouth knowing that it's this nourishment that my body would respond to positively in the long-run.

sound body=sound mind

I say I still struggle with it because I do have problems with convenience at times, mostly with my snack choices. I don't buy microwavable meals or frozen pizza, but I have a tendency to buy sour-cream and onion potato chips and lindt chocolate bars.

One of my goals is to turn my back yard into a vegetable garden. My father's neighbor has one and i'm supremely jealous.

My ultimate goal is to get everyone to grow their own food, eat locally and sustainably. It's crazy how many people in the U.S are so careless about their food choices. I admit, I was one of them ( I wasn't that bad tho). We like our sugar (HFCS) cheap like we like our oil cheap.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am
Nahgied

mancabbage wrote:
i don buy food in a box

do Pret sandwhiches count? if so, i lose.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 pm
name

if all of the agriculture in the world were converted to "organic" tomorrow (no pesticides, no synthetic fertilizers, no genetic engineering), billions of people around the globe would die of famine in the ensuing decades, not to mention the onset of crushing poverty.

if you like the taste better and you have the means - have at it. but don't pretend that your "organic" garden isn't creating a massive per capita environmental footprint. hell, i like a lot of frou-frou foods as well, but i'm not arrogant enough to pretend that the world would be a better place if 6 billion people were each responsible for growing their own damned food. The sheer inefficiency alone would be devastating to humanity and the environment. and that devastation would far outweigh the current and serious problems we have with pesticide and fertilizer safety.

as far as manufactured (i.e. boxed) foods... nothing really wrong with avoiding that shit. but i certainly fail to live up to that one.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:53 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

name wrote:
if all of the agriculture in the world were converted to "organic" tomorrow (no pesticides, no synthetic fertilizers, no genetic engineering), billions of people around the globe would die of famine in the ensuing decades, not to mention the onset of crushing poverty.

if you like the taste better and you have the means - have at it. but don't pretend that your "organic" garden isn't creating a massive per capita environmental footprint. hell, i like a lot of frou-frou foods as well, but i'm not arrogant enough to pretend that the world would be a better place if 6 billion people were each responsible for growing their own damned food. The sheer inefficiency alone would be devastating to humanity and the environment. and that devastation would far outweigh the current and serious problems we have with pesticide and fertilizer safety.

This.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next