Search
Register
Tracy Morgan & the Homophobic Rant (Updated)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Dr Sagacious

He was being oppressive, not violent. He should get better jokes. I agree with Louis CK to an extent, and understand where he is coming from. It's a joke. Tracy Morgan, from what a fair cross-section of his colleagues say, is not homophobic or prejudice. Is he a horrible comedian and should be faulted for it? Absolutely. You go to Nashville and you go into a bit about homosexuality whilst doing your over-the-top style. He just needs to learn that he sucks unless Tina Fey is writing his jokes for him.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Dr Sagacious wrote:
He just needs to learn that he sucks unless Tina Fey is writing his jokes for him.

no way.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:08 pm
phataccino

I find Tracy Morgan funny, though not necessarily his material, if that makes sense. Dude just makes me laugh.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:34 pm
dangermc

phataccino wrote:
I find Tracy Morgan funny, though not necessarily his material, if that makes sense. Dude just makes me laugh.

I find his vocal inflections hilarious.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:53 pm
Sarcastro

T-Wrex wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:
He just needs to learn that he sucks unless Tina Fey is writing his jokes for him.

no way.

word?
Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:43 pm
futuristxen

It's still really hard to comment on this stuff without actually having seen the performance or even reading a transcript.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 pm
SFR announcement

Agreed. It's strange how far all of this has been taken without the actual footage. Or even a full transcript (or has that been released?) There's hardly any context here.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm
Limbs

I know. I keep checking this thread for video. It is 2011 in Nashville too right?
Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:44 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

More Louis CK, from the article in Slate today:

Quote:

Well I've said a lot of things that were worse than what he said. I have my things that make it OK for people when I say them. I have my irony and different levels that I'm working at, so that makes it OK for people around me, for people that come to my shows. And people heard this Tracy shit mostly third-hand. He didn't stand on a public stage and say this stuff. He didn't make these announcements: "Here, America, are my views."

Where you say something makes a huge difference about what you say and what it means and what you let yourself say. There's a lot of times when I let myself channel bad ideas as a way to do comedy. I think it's something that's a healthy thing to do, honestly. And I think the person who really fucked people up and hurt people with Tracy's words was whoever took it out of that Nashville club and put it on the national stage--whoever called Huffington Post or whoever started this shit, and said, "Guess what Tracy Morgan said," and announced it to the rest of the world. He wasn't trying to say it to the rest of the world.

So when I read stuff like, How are gay people going to feel when they read this? Well they didn't have to read it! They weren't part of that show. Maybe there were gay people there who were laughing. You don't fucking know. Nobody gets to say that they represent anybody and they're offended on behalf of the whole world. You can see this shit really bothers me. I didn't carefully inspect what he said.

I heard some of it, and it made me laugh. I didn't get the context, but I have to defend it, because if I was in his role, if I was in his situation, which I might be someday--which I already am for having said something on his behalf--I would want someone to step forward and say something. This is a freedom that I live off of. I think, whatever, if Tracy made a mistake, he certainly didn't deserve all of this.

And I don't know him well, but he's a good guy. So I'm using that judgment, of just, hey,
I met him and he's a good guy. And I get a sense of him as a father, and there's no way he would stab his kid. It's a dumb thing to take at face value. You'd have to be a moron. And if you do, you are not allowed to laugh at any more jokes. You are not allowed to laugh at any jokes that have any violence or negative feelings attached to them, ironically or otherwise.

I think there's a lot of hypocrisy in that. If anybody thinks that what he said is true and there's no comedy in it, don't come to my shows. I've said to many audiences that I think you shouldn't rape someone unless you have a good reason, like you want to fuck them and they won't let you. That's worse than what he said! And I didn't wink and say, just kidding. I just said it.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Sarcastro wrote:
T-Wrex wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:

no way.

word?

Astronaut Jones is awesome.

"Why don't you pop out that spacesuit and let me see those two big, gray space titties!?"
Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:21 pm
squirtisblow

T-Wrex wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:
T-Wrex wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:

no way.

word?

Astronaut Jones is awesome.

"Why don't you pop out that spacesuit and let me see those two big, gray space titties!?"

i don't know how many times i've watched that. i fucking love that skit. Hilarious.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm
futuristxen

I've never found Louis CK funny. But he's certainly giving the point I always make in these situations.

Still. Again. Impossible for me to really comment on the show without hearing or seeing what happened, because he very well could have broken his act on stage and just been spewing hate. Or he might have just been in his character saying random dopey shit, and this was something someone took out of context, or that didn't quite work.

Like Michael Richards wasn't doing his act. And you could pretty well tell that.

But I mean all kinds of comics have gotten up there in some kind of character and spewed hateful shit for laughs.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:07 pm
firefly

http://www.sandpapersuit.com/2011/06/tracy-morgans-comments-and-what.html

Tracy Morgan's comments and what civilians will never totally understand about doing standup comedy

The Tracy Morgan conversation has folks arguing about just how much the comedy stage should be a "safe space." While critics are rushing to condemn what Morgan said, comics are expressing mixed reactions. When I hear civilians lashing out at words said onstage, I think there's something they miss. Until you've actually performed standup comedy and talked extemporaneously to a crowd, you'll never know what it's really like. Once you do, you can't help but empathize at least a little bit with someone who takes that chance and fucks up.

Improvising or writing onstage is a tightrope walk. And if you're talking about edgy/provocative topics, it can be even more dangerous. That's part of what makes it so thrilling to watch. Make it to the other side and it can be magical. Fall off and you wind up in a shark pit. (Is that a thing?)

Comics defend other comics for the same reason that cops defend other cops; We've been there before. When a civilian hears about an innocent suspect that gets gunned down, he's outraged: "How could this happen?" When a cop hears about it, he'll say something about the stress of being in the line of fire: "You'll never know what it's like to approach a suspect and not be sure if he's reaching for a wallet or a gun." Luckily for us, we don't actually kill when we "kill."

Personally, I take anything that is improvised on a comedy stage with a huge grain of salt. Because I've said plenty of in-the-moment things onstage I later regretted. As bad as Morgan or Michael Richards? Probably not. But there has definitely been plenty of stuff I'd have to apologize for if everything I said was reported by the media. Take chances onstage and you're bound to misstep occasionally. And once in a while, you may misstep badly. That's part of the deal.

(Note: I'd be more likely to condemn a written/planned joke than a riff. Malice aforethought, etc. But I'd still probably be way more lenient on that than an ordinary person. Also worth keeping in mind: I don't understand being offended.)

The conversation reminds me of Dave Chappelle's thoughts on Richards' meltdown at The Laugh Factory. While performing on the same stage, Chappelle explained how watching the whole thing made him realize he's "20% black and 80% comedian."

The black dude in me is like "Kramer, you motherfucker." I was hurt. And the comedian in me was just like "Whoa, nigger's having a bad set. Hang in there, Kramer. Don't let 'em break you, Kramer!"

http://youtu.be/Kth0UOU5a_M

Obviously Chappelle hates what Richards said. But he's been in the trenches too and can't help but identify with a guy who's losing it onstage while dealing with a non-receptive crowd. That's the empathy you get from walking in a comedian's shoes.

I'm not saying Morgan should have said what he said. I get why gay folks are especially pissed. I know the goal of those criticizing him is a noble one. But the road to neutered standup is paved with good intentions.

I believe the standup stage is a sacred space; It's one of the few places left where people are allowed to experiment, confront, and dance with ideas that society generally tiptoes around or avoids completely. That won't always go well. But if you try to take away the shitty part of that, you're likely to sacrifice the wonderful part of it too.
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

What's the difference between using stand-up as a "safe" platform as opposed to music? This is more of a rhetorical question but if someone thinks they can tackle it with a serious answer go for it :)
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next