Search
Register
Tracy Morgan & the Homophobic Rant (Updated)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

outpatient

they are both sitcom actors who shouldn't expect to just traipse on stage and be adored for saying whatever shit pops into their heads, but the main impression I got from michael richards' meltdown was that he couldn't cope with being heckled, psychologically or comedically. he got interrupted and his inflated seinfeld ego made him flip out. this just seems more like a miscalculated bit.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am
tommi teardrop

Tegan and Sara are not going to stand for this shit.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

tommi teardrop wrote:
Tegan and Sara are not going to stand for this shit.

Haha.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 pm
futuristxen

"As it stands, Morgan's reps refused to comment to gay issues site Unicornbooty.com"

Really? I can't imagine why.

I would say few website names are more counter-productive to having your cause be taken seriously than...Unicornbooty.com
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

There's this thing in show-biz.. It's called "know your audience".

He probably thought that since he was in Nashville... a little homo-bashing would help sell a couple more tee-shirts.

"if you can take a fucking dick, you can take a joke.."

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm
Sarcastro

This seems to be more of a set not working out than Tracy Morgan is a homophobe. Lots of his material is offensive, and lots of his material is not funny, I guess at least for the people who were outraged by this this fell into the middle of that venn diagram.

If we're going to start attacking comedians based on their material why don't we start with that dude with the puppets. Just because the puppet's mouth moves doesn't mean the racist shit didn't come out of yours.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 pm
futuristxen

T-Wrex wrote:
There's this thing in show-biz.. It's called "know your audience".

He probably thought that since he was in Nashville... a little homo-bashing would help sell a couple more tee-shirts.

"if you can take a fucking dick, you can take a joke.."

Actually if I had to guess I would imagine he assumed since he was in Nashville that there would be a lot of homophobic people in the room, and that he would make fun of them by taking their beliefs to their extreme point.

And it didn't work out.

Again, it's really hard to know without actually seeing it. I'm always kind of surprised that you can even be homophobic in hollywood. I mean I'm sure there are gay people on the 30 Rock staff in some capacity.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:32 pm
Dr Sagacious

Sarcastro wrote:
This seems to be more of a set not working out than Tracy Morgan is a homophobe. Lots of his material is offensive, and lots of his material is not funny, I guess at least for the people who were outraged by this this fell into the middle of that venn diagram.

If we're going to start attacking comedians based on their material why don't we start with that dude with the puppets. Just because the puppet's mouth moves doesn't mean the racist shit didn't come out of yours.

Jeff Dunham is fucking awful.
Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:50 pm
Mikal kHill

Yeah, Jeff Dunham is awful, but I didn't figure there were a ton of Jeff Dunham fans here. Nobody is gonna be like, "Oh wow, you mean JEFF DUNHAM spouted off saying he'd stab his son for being gay?!"
Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 pm
Jesse

The difference between this and Michael Richards is EVERYTHING.

Michael Richards snapped and attacked someone with some out-of-(public)-character racist remarks.

Tracy Morgan did his normal stand-up act, same as he always does it.

Michael Richards did something different in front of people who were used to what he does usually. Tracy Morgan did something the same in front of a new audience who like his jokes when the white woman most likely to grace the cover of Bust Magazine more frequently than the word "BUST" in the fullness of time writes them for her made up show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

I'm not defending his bullshit, either. He shouldn't have said that shit; it's harmful. But there's a fake sense of occasion that comes from a new audience being dropped into his lap who think they're going to go see Tracy Jordan, and that dude pretend; that dude is Tina Fey in blackface.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:00 pm
lord soth

Jesse wrote:
The difference between this and Michael Richards is EVERYTHING.

Michael Richards snapped and attacked someone with some out-of-(public)-character racist remarks.

Tracy Morgan did his normal stand-up act, same as he always does it.

Michael Richards did something different in front of people who were used to what he does usually. Tracy Morgan did something the same in front of a new audience who like his jokes when the white woman most likely to grace the cover of Bust Magazine more frequently than the word "BUST" in the fullness of time writes them for her made up show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

I'm not defending his bullshit, either. He shouldn't have said that shit; it's harmful. But there's a fake sense of occasion that comes from a new audience being dropped into his lap who think they're going to go see Tracy Jordan, and that dude pretend; that dude is Tina Fey in blackface.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:12 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Jesse wrote:

show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

No, his role in that show is to be a parody of Martin Lawrence.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 pm
Plum Puddin'

Jesse wrote:

Tracy Morgan did something the same in front of a new audience who like his jokes when the white woman most likely to grace the cover of Bust Magazine more frequently than the word "BUST" in the fullness of time writes them for her made up show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

that dude is Tina Fey in blackface.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 pm
futuristxen

Tina Fey is hilarious.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:09 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Seriously her Sarah Palin is probably in the top 5 SNL characters ever. Right up there with Darrell Hammond as Sean Connory, Belushi and Aykroyd doing Blues Brothers, Farley's Motivational Speaker, etc. Not that I want to pull an "appeal to authority" here, especially on such a subjective topic, but she's probably the most awarded and praised female comedian, ever.

Not only that:

http://www.ivillage.com/tina-fey-chris-rock-condemn-tracy-morgans-anti-gay-rant/1-a-357360

More specifically:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/tina_fey_tracy_morgan_gay.html
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next