Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Tracy Morgan & the Homophobic Rant (Updated)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
outpatient



Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 475
Location: haggis and scotch eggs
 Reply with quote  

they are both sitcom actors who shouldn't expect to just traipse on stage and be adored for saying whatever shit pops into their heads, but the main impression I got from michael richards' meltdown was that he couldn't cope with being heckled, psychologically or comedically. he got interrupted and his inflated seinfeld ego made him flip out. this just seems more like a miscalculated bit.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am
 View user's profile Send private message
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2213
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

Tegan and Sara are not going to stand for this shit.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
icarus502
kung-pwn master


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 11288
Location: ann arbor
 Reply with quote  

tommi teardrop wrote:
Tegan and Sara are not going to stand for this shit.


Haha.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

"As it stands, Morgan's reps refused to comment to gay issues site Unicornbooty.com"

Really? I can't imagine why.

I would say few website names are more counter-productive to having your cause be taken seriously than...Unicornbooty.com
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
T-Wrex
p00ny tang


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 6381
Location: Detroit, Michigan
 Reply with quote  

There's this thing in show-biz.. It's called "know your audience".

He probably thought that since he was in Nashville... a little homo-bashing would help sell a couple more tee-shirts.

"if you can take a fucking dick, you can take a joke.."

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Sarcastro



Joined: 27 Sep 2002
Posts: 3281
 Reply with quote  

This seems to be more of a set not working out than Tracy Morgan is a homophobe. Lots of his material is offensive, and lots of his material is not funny, I guess at least for the people who were outraged by this this fell into the middle of that venn diagram.

If we're going to start attacking comedians based on their material why don't we start with that dude with the puppets. Just because the puppet's mouth moves doesn't mean the racist shit didn't come out of yours.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

T-Wrex wrote:
There's this thing in show-biz.. It's called "know your audience".

He probably thought that since he was in Nashville... a little homo-bashing would help sell a couple more tee-shirts.

"if you can take a fucking dick, you can take a joke.."



Actually if I had to guess I would imagine he assumed since he was in Nashville that there would be a lot of homophobic people in the room, and that he would make fun of them by taking their beliefs to their extreme point.

And it didn't work out.

Again, it's really hard to know without actually seeing it. I'm always kind of surprised that you can even be homophobic in hollywood. I mean I'm sure there are gay people on the 30 Rock staff in some capacity.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

Sarcastro wrote:
This seems to be more of a set not working out than Tracy Morgan is a homophobe. Lots of his material is offensive, and lots of his material is not funny, I guess at least for the people who were outraged by this this fell into the middle of that venn diagram.

If we're going to start attacking comedians based on their material why don't we start with that dude with the puppets. Just because the puppet's mouth moves doesn't mean the racist shit didn't come out of yours.


Jeff Dunham is fucking awful.
Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Mikal kHill



Joined: 29 Jun 2002
Posts: 6851
Location: http://mikalkhill.com
 Reply with quote  

Yeah, Jeff Dunham is awful, but I didn't figure there were a ton of Jeff Dunham fans here. Nobody is gonna be like, "Oh wow, you mean JEFF DUNHAM spouted off saying he'd stab his son for being gay?!"
Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

The difference between this and Michael Richards is EVERYTHING.

Michael Richards snapped and attacked someone with some out-of-(public)-character racist remarks.

Tracy Morgan did his normal stand-up act, same as he always does it.

Michael Richards did something different in front of people who were used to what he does usually. Tracy Morgan did something the same in front of a new audience who like his jokes when the white woman most likely to grace the cover of Bust Magazine more frequently than the word "BUST" in the fullness of time writes them for her made up show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

I'm not defending his bullshit, either. He shouldn't have said that shit; it's harmful. But there's a fake sense of occasion that comes from a new audience being dropped into his lap who think they're going to go see Tracy Jordan, and that dude pretend; that dude is Tina Fey in blackface.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
lord soth



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Posts: 173
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
The difference between this and Michael Richards is EVERYTHING.

Michael Richards snapped and attacked someone with some out-of-(public)-character racist remarks.

Tracy Morgan did his normal stand-up act, same as he always does it.

Michael Richards did something different in front of people who were used to what he does usually. Tracy Morgan did something the same in front of a new audience who like his jokes when the white woman most likely to grace the cover of Bust Magazine more frequently than the word "BUST" in the fullness of time writes them for her made up show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

I'm not defending his bullshit, either. He shouldn't have said that shit; it's harmful. But there's a fake sense of occasion that comes from a new audience being dropped into his lap who think they're going to go see Tracy Jordan, and that dude pretend; that dude is Tina Fey in blackface.


Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Charlie Foxtrot



Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 1379
Location: Rochester, NY
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:

show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.



No, his role in that show is to be a parody of Martin Lawrence.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Plum Puddin'



Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1794
Location: Snagglepussy.
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:


Tracy Morgan did something the same in front of a new audience who like his jokes when the white woman most likely to grace the cover of Bust Magazine more frequently than the word "BUST" in the fullness of time writes them for her made up show where he plays a joke about himself that those motherfuckers DON'T GET.

that dude is Tina Fey in blackface.


Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Tina Fey is hilarious.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 6290
Location: airstrip one
 Reply with quote  

Seriously her Sarah Palin is probably in the top 5 SNL characters ever. Right up there with Darrell Hammond as Sean Connory, Belushi and Aykroyd doing Blues Brothers, Farley's Motivational Speaker, etc. Not that I want to pull an "appeal to authority" here, especially on such a subjective topic, but she's probably the most awarded and praised female comedian, ever.

Not only that:

http://www.ivillage.com/tina-fey-chris-rock-condemn-tracy-morgans-anti-gay-rant/1-a-357360

More specifically:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/tina_fey_tracy_morgan_gay.html
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:51 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon