Search
Register
Are there any ways to increase activity here?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

Are there any ways to increase activity here?  Reply with quote  

The title basically says it all, but I'm just curious if any members here think there is anything that could be done to increase activity on this forum. I know the SFR crew is really busy making music, running the label and managing the million other social networking platforms that are out there nowadays, so I don't expect them to do much here, and I am grateful that they still even have this up and running. Just curious to hear if anyone here thinks there are things other users could do that would make them more likely to post more frequently.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:15 am
seandaley
passive aggressifist

full frontal nudity.

"works every time"
-lando
Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:58 am
SFR announcement

Needs more dickbutts.

Subreddit, here we come!
Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 am
Flossin

Controversial topics!

I like to discuss new music here with people, but (with a few exceptions, often SFR ones) 2014 seems like a particularly weak year for music to me...
Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm
mattrego

Hot Sports Takez!
Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:37 pm
xGasPricesx

seandaley wrote:
full frontal nudity.

"works every time"
-lando

Okay, you start.
Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:50 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I miss the remix contests
Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:48 am
poisonfree

Free mushroom stamp with every post?
Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mark in Minnesota

My thoughts on this as an under-informed outsider:
1. This forum has become a walled garden. Membership requires administrator approval and ties to a verifiable identity. This is a high barrier to entry for many Internet users.
2. This forum is a walled garden because that's the only way to keep it from needing extensive moderation. Trustworthy volunteer moderators would probably emerge if SFR asked for some, but Strange Famous Records has various business needs which preclude certain kinds of conversation being allowed to happen here--so that moderation almost by definition has to be performed by Sage or a label employee.
3. The limited bandwidth Sage has for moderation generally seems to mean that his principal tool for moderation is banning misbehaving users, rather than trying to coach them back to good behavior.

Even if these limiting factors were all to change in favor of a more open and well-trafficked forum, Sage and others from his label would begin needing to more frequently visit this forum to interact with those new users--time that would probably come at the expense of their equivalent online activities via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Vine, Reddit, and other social sites. All tools that are easily to use, especially from mobile systems. The only benefit I can see to them making that change would be better top-down control over interaction with their users--but that kind of control isn't necessarily a good thing in any case.

This place is something of an anachronism, and my guess is that the open question for Sage isn't how to reverse that transition but whether or not to leave the forum online indefinitely now that it has served its purpose. I wonder how often he checks that old SAGEkillz AIM account.

For me, the main question is where I'll go when the forum finishes dying. Probably Reddit.
Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I always like when Mark lays it out like it is.
Even when it's not really the way that it is.

As for AIM, I don't even know if I could log onto it anymore. I'm not sure what the point would be as anyone I talked to back then who I still would like to talk to have my phone number. I will keep this forum around for archival sake, but I'm also going to hold out for a forum revival when the government stops feeding oxygen into the social media bubble. I'm sure you've read about it. It's a sick game.

WE'LL ALWAYS BE HERE FOR YOU!!!!!
Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 pm
xGasPricesx

Hey Mark, what are some of your favorite subreddits? Also, I'm guessing you might not want to share this information, but on the off chance you don't mind, what is your username on reddit? I miss reading your frequent postings on here, even when I disagreed with them, and I'd like to check in with what you have to say on reddit if you post there with any kind of frequency.

And Mr. Daley, I'm still waiting on those full frontal nude shots of you. I think we could at least get some more traffic to this post if I was able to rename it "Nude pictures of Slug". Sexy photos of slugs might also suffice, just none of those ugly slugs. God might love them, but the internet sure as hell don't.
Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm
Jack

I'm sure a ton of people like me still lurk the crap out of this forum. It's been an entertaining place to say the least, and like Sage said, you never know when this bad boy will be needed again

PS: Does anyone know any good books about the negative effects capitalism in the United States has on other countries (if that even makes sense...)? I don't know anything about it and it's something my friend is starting to get interested in so a book might be a good gift for the holidays.
Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:42 pm
Mark in Minnesota

xGasPricesx wrote:
Hey Mark, what are some of your favorite subreddits? Also, I'm guessing you might not want to share this information, but on the off chance you don't mind, what is your username on reddit? I miss reading your frequent postings on here, even when I disagreed with them, and I'd like to check in with what you have to say on reddit if you post there with any kind of frequency.

Thanks. :-)

I don't have an account there yet, or even anonymously read many subreddits. Parts of the culture seriously irritate me. I'm just making a prediction about compromises I will begin to make as activity on this forum continues to dry up.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 pm
xGasPricesx

Yeah, I totally understand the irritation bit. I think I've become extra sensitive to criticism of social justice issues because of how much people on there trash talk anything that has to do with that kind of thing. There is also just a very large portion of the reddit population with a huge superiority complex about how "rational and logical" they are compared to everyone else, even when those posts use really faulty logic. And then there's the over abundance of memes, which feed into all the other problems I have with that site. But there are tons of subreddits there that are actually great resources of information, it just takes some time to find them. Like all things on the internet, and life in general, you have to wade through a lot of shit to find the good stuff. Anyways, if you end up making an account and start posting, I would love to know your username, cause like I said, I like your style. (Alright, I'm done with my jerk now, I promise)
Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 pm
xGasPricesx

Jack wrote:

PS: Does anyone know any good books about the negative effects capitalism in the United States has on other countries (if that even makes sense...)? I don't know anything about it and it's something my friend is starting to get interested in so a book might be a good gift for the holidays.

It's the obvious answer, but anything by Chomsky would be a safe bet. A lot of his stuff focuses on how "free trade" and unregulated markets has done a lot of harm to various nations. He also talks a lot about the history of US foreign and domestic policy which has several limited, or systematically destroyed, various cultures and nations all to the benefit of certain groups within the Western world. It's kind of anti-capitalism and imperialism 101, but it's always a great starting point. Hopefully others can come and give more specific and detailed recommendations.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next