Search
Register
the usual TV thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Alan Hague

Still loving the Walking Dead despite how annoying Andrea is (as opposed to how badass she is in the comic). Can't wait for tonight's episode!

Also, 'Through the Wormhole' is one of the greatest things to ever happen to TV.

Has anyone here seen 'Utopia?' I've been getting waaay into sci-fi lately, & I've heard a couple hearty recommendations concerning that show.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 pm
xGasPricesx

Seriously people, you really need to check out Justified. It's not exactly at The Wire or Breaking Bad levels of greatness, but it is pretty damn close. It's also one of the most fun and quotable drama shows I've ever seen.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:06 am
Captiv8

xGasPricesx wrote:
Seriously people, you really need to check out Justified. It's not exactly at The Wire or Breaking Bad levels of greatness, but it is pretty damn close. It's also one of the most fun and quotable drama shows I've ever seen.

I'd put above Breaking Bad. Don't get me wrong, I love Breaking Bad, but it doesn't quite compel me in the same way as Justified. I think part of that is the difference between Walt and Raylan. But ya, Justified is an amazing show. I can't wait to watch Season 3!
Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 am
ROTTY

Alan Hague wrote:
Still loving the Walking Dead despite how annoying Andrea is (as opposed to how badass she is in the comic). Can't wait for tonight's episode!

Also, 'Through the Wormhole' is one of the greatest things to ever happen to TV.

Has anyone here seen 'Utopia?' I've been getting waaay into sci-fi lately, & I've heard a couple hearty recommendations concerning that show.

Utopia is great so far. Im only 2 episodes in but really good. Plus has two of my favourite british actors in it, Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley (also the main stars of the Kill list).
Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:51 am
Brynjar

Captiv8 wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:

I'd put above Breaking Bad. Don't get me wrong, I love Breaking Bad, but it doesn't quite compel me in the same way as Justified. I think part of that is the difference between Walt and Raylan. But ya, Justified is an amazing show. I can't wait to watch Season 3!

Justified is the best show on TV right now I'd say. It's strange to see a show change so much, it started as a decent cop show with mostly the villain of the week plot but half a season in it started to move to bigger story arc but still having that villain of the week vibe and now it's maybe 3 stories that are the whole season.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:32 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I look at Justified as the spiritual successor to Deadwood. I love Justified, but to put it on the same level as a show like The Wire? Eeek.

The Americans is pretty interesting.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 am
xGasPricesx

Hellen Earth wrote:
I look at Justified as the spiritual successor to Deadwood. I love Justified, but to put it on the same level as a show like The Wire? Eeek.

The Americans is pretty interesting.

I didnt mean to put at the same level as The Wire, just saying it wasnt at that level of greatness, but it is still damn good in its own right. Justified does kind of remind me of a much smaller scale, backwoods version of The Wire at times though, but yeah, obviously not nearly as amazing as The Wire was, but no show is.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:37 pm
desert penguin

I've only gotten through the first four episodes of Justified so far. I hear that it changes a lot, and I sure hope so. Right now it feels like CBS' latest CSI lead-in.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:29 pm
Brynjar

desert penguin wrote:
I've only gotten through the first four episodes of Justified so far. I hear that it changes a lot, and I sure hope so. Right now it feels like CBS' latest CSI lead-in.

Takes about 6-7 eps for the story to really kick in
Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 pm
mancabbage

desert penguin wrote:

hmmm yeah i had the same feeling, the first ep felt like csi:cowboy edition, might stick with it though
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 pm
tommi teardrop

I haven't given Justified a chance.

But I just watched the first 3 episodes of Game of Thrones and it looks like I will be addicted to that.

After I ripped on The Walking Dead in here, they came out with one of the better episodes of TV I've seen in a while SPOILER (The episode where Rick reunites with the guy that helped him in the first episode.) That dude is the best actor that show has ever seen. But still, It's hard for me to care about any of the characters.

I'm giving Bates Motel a shot, but it's not looking very good.

Mad Men is back this week though, so my life is complete again.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm
xGasPricesx

Oh man, what a finale from Justified last night. For a season that started a little slow in my opinion, they really hit it out of the park with these last few episodes. And man, some of those finale scenes really made my heart ache. I won't talk about specific plot points or anything here, cause I know most of you either haven't watched it yet or are in the early goings of it, but I will say that season 4 gets really good towards the end.

I also take back my Wire/Justified comparison I made above, since Justified only occasionally touches on social and political issues like race and class, while that is pretty much a big part of what made The Wire what it was, not too mention it was just such an excellent piece of storytelling on top of all the incredible social and political commentary. When I wrote that I think that I was thinking more in terms of the breadth of characters, amazing dialogue, incredible performances, etc. But I realize there are a few shows out there that achieve that, and none of those should really be compared to The Wire either.

For all of you who just watched a couple of the first episodes or haven't watched it at all yet, my advice is just to stick with it. Yes, the first half of the first season is basically a procedural, but halfway through that season they switch over the serialized drama style we've all come to know and love. Season 1 is still a weaker season overall (which when talking about a show like this, still means it's pretty damn good) but season 2 is when it really hits its stride.

Overall, it is definitely one of the best shows currently on television, and is a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Boyd Crowder is probably one of my favorite anti-heroes ever too, definitely up there with the greats in my opinion.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm
ROTTY

Anyone watched Vikings? Its made by the history channel but is a really good drama. Tells the true story of the first vikings to navigate the west seas to raid England. Good acting and a great story. You will know if you like it by the end ofthe first episode. Also Fever Ray does the intro music.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 am
Jesse Custer

Episode 3 of new Game of Thrones series.... yes! Season is really getting going now. Awesome ending to that episode.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Anyone watch Boss on Starz. Kelsey Grammar as mayor of Chicago is amazing. I think that this second season has come pretty close to The Wire in the way of dealing with social issues, and having a city act as a sort of character.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next