Search
Register
Game of Thrones on HBO
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Asterax

Cool stuff. Definitely not a cliffhanger-style TV series, but the end of one book and the beginning of another. They tied things up nicely.
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 pm
futuristxen

I don't really have a problem with reading the book of what I just watched a series on. If anything it makes the reading go a bit faster because you are familiar with everything and what's going on, and are hungry for those little extra bits of context.

Plus I'm sure it will be easy to track down some cheap paperbacks of the series.
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 pm
Flossin

So who else bought the books after watching the show? I know I can't be the only one. Halfway through the first book right now. Enjoying it a lot.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:56 pm
ROTTY

Flossin wrote:
So who else bought the books after watching the show? I know I can't be the only one. Halfway through the first book right now. Enjoying it a lot.

I am a few chapters (characters) into the second book. Loving it so much. Cant wait for the second series. To me the books play out a lot like the tv series just with more detail and background.

Last edited by ROTTY on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 am
dangermc

June 26th's episode was a repeat ... right?

Also nekkid Daenerys w/ a buncha baby dragons was pretty ill
Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I was more partial to a nude Hodor.
Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Because of this thread I purchased the existing four novels in this series. I'm two-thirds of the way through the first book. It's excellent. I don't know how this completely slipped under my radar for the last decade and a half.

I haven't seen any of this show yet and don't intend to until I've finished the first five novels. I don't want someone else's visualization of the characters to become my mental template while reading.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:02 am
Flossin

breakreep wrote:
Because of this thread I purchased the existing four novels in this series. I'm two-thirds of the way through the first book. It's excellent. I don't know how this completely slipped under my radar for the last decade and a half.

I did the same thing. Finishing the second book now, it's even better than the first one. My job deal just ended last week and I have a lot of free time and I've been reading those books like crazy.

Quote:

I haven't seen any of this show yet and don't intend to until I've finished the first five novels. I don't want someone else's visualization of the characters to become my mental template while reading.

I'm usually the same way, but I don't mind it with those books. I actually prefer to visualize most of the characters the way they were portrayed in the show, cause I think it's better that some of those kids/teens (Robb, Snow, Daenerys etc) were made a little older in the show.

Also, Hodor is on Twitter, apparently... http://twitter.com/#!/hodorwinterfell
Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:08 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Flossin wrote:

I'm usually the same way, but I don't mind it with those books. I actually prefer to visualize most of the characters the way they were portrayed in the show, cause I think it's better that some of those kids/teens (Robb, Snow, Daenerys etc) were made a little older in the show.

That's the only real and necessary problem with the show and/or books. For the super young kids like Bran and, especially, Rickon the fact that GRRM never had small children makes them less believable a little. He regrets not making Rickon, at least, a little older.

For the other characters, it the TV series had to make them older but I still think of them as their ages in the novels. During the first book, Dany is 14. Some of the best scenes wouldn't have been possible to film, not even on HBO, if she were 14 and played by a 14 YO.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 am
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

ROTTY wrote:

To me the books play out a lot like the tv series just with more detail and background.

No shit?
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:52 am
Hellen Earth

Is anyone reading Dance with Dragons yet?

I'm about 150 pages in, I like where things are headed.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:09 am
ROTTY

sneeeeb wrote:
ROTTY wrote:

To me the books play out a lot like the tv series just with more detail and background.

No shit?

ha ha. Fair comment, i should have left my unedited post and maybe i would not sound so obvious.

My original post was trying to get across how the book is divided by character rather than chapters and it give you a great feel of the vastness of the lands. The series has done well to capture this.

But after typing it i sighed and deleted but must have thought "i should at least post something..."
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Hellen Earth wrote:

I'm super busy so I've been having to steal moments to read it. I'm only a hundred pages in or so. Enjoying it.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:02 am
Flossin

I didn't get the new book yet, I'm halfway through "A Feast for Crows". I bought the books after the show ended and now I'm taking it slow, cause I'm not looking forward to waiting a few years for the 6th book.

I liked "Storm of Swords" the best so far. I kinda wish there was more of the already established characters in "Feast for Crows", but so far it's good.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:17 am
Hellen Earth

icarus502 wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

I'm super busy so I've been having to steal moments to read it. I'm only a hundred pages in or so. Enjoying it.

Without revealing to much to, I am really interested to see what will happen when TL and QM hook up in Meeren with Khaleesi.

Not sure if you got to Bran's chapters yet, but some really cool stuff happening with him too.

This book is LONG.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next