Search
Register
Is anybody here a teacher?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

FuseONE

Is anybody here a teacher?  Reply with quote  

So I've been unemployed for a good 6 months now. Since I graduated from college about ten years ago, I've worked primarily in the I.T. sector. I've been laid off 3 times in that time period. I'm beginning to think this wasn't the most intelligent career path.

My mother teaches pre-k special-ed kids and I've been a teacher's aide in her room and other grade levels, so I have something of a feel for what goes on, but obviously, being in charge is a whole different ball game. Since the world's always going to need teachers, and the benefits seem to be pretty good, I'm starting to look in to this a bit. I already have a bachelor's, albeit in business administration, so I know that puts me slightly ahead in the game as far as getting licensed and all.

I know there are a couple teachers here and I'm wondering if any of you arrived at that profession a bit later in life, as well? And do you have any regrets about the choice? Working in special-ed classes was alright, but I'm leaning toward regular classrooms, so my mom can only give me so much feedback there. I'm moreso looking for information on how you feel about the job, not so much the technicalities of becoming one since I can probably figure out most of that on my own. Although if you want to add something in that area too, feel free.

Thanks.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 am
english bob

I teach at a university, which is slightly different to regular school teaching but it's all education right(?) I got lucky enough to walk into the job at 24 with nothing but my degree (bachelors) and have been funded whilst in the job to do all my other qualifications (masters, doctorate, various software stuff).

I had no intention of ever becoming a teacher, but I don't regret getting into it. I still enjoy it when I get to deal with students that actually want to learn and push themselves a bit. The longer I do it though, the less patience I have for those people that are clearly just taking the piss. Sometimes I really question the admittance policy of the place I work. It's a weird job. It can be so rewarding and yet so frustrating. Overall, I think it balances out to the former, but sometimes those frustrating moments can be really soul destroying haha :)

It's enjoyable all in all, but my main complaint about it is the repetition. Obviously it depends on the timetables / classes you end up giving but some days I have to deliver essentially the same lesson to 3 or 4 different groups (for weeks on end); then the following year, its the same curriculum so unless I purposely change my way of teaching it, I end up giving the same lessons again (to a different cohort). Rinse. Repeat. Nearly 5 years on and I'm running out of ways of changing my delivery, but thankfully a lot of the courses I teach on are being revalidated this summer so next year is a bit more promising.

Oh, also, it's not necessarily any more dependable than any other job. Due to education cuts and whatnot, I've faced redundancy a couple of times (though never had to leave).. Yeah people always need teachers, and there are vacancies around but there are also plenty of people that do the teaching. Clearly it depends on how many institutions are in your vicinity etc, but for me, if I lost my job here, I'd be faced with moving quite a way away to the next nearest uni..
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FuseONE

God, I love British vernacular haha. What on earth is someone doing who's "taking the piss"? I mean, I guess I kind of know what you mean, but give it to me in...well, English.

I'm actually looking at teaching in a vocational high school, which here would mean teaching in 2-3 large blocks a day, as opposed to 5 or 6 smaller class periods - hence, less repetition.

I've been looking over the education portion of the Huffington post and yea there seems to be cuts here and there around the country, but nothing like what I've faced in I.T. the last decade. I doubt there are that many teachers who've been laid off 3 times in 9 years. I'm also pretty fortunate to live in close vicinity to 4 different states and if I find I'm having problems getting a job here, I'm going to look at a different state nearby. Thanks for the info.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:00 am
Captiv8

FuseONE wrote:
God, I love British vernacular haha. What on earth is someone doing who's "taking the piss"? I mean, I guess I kind of know what you mean, but give it to me in...well, English.

Messing with you/making fun of you/joking.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 am
phataccino

I'm 30 and was actually considering doing the same thing and quitting my job to go back to school to become a teacher. I was all set to start with a couple of summer classes this year then get into a cohort at a nearby university that offers a one-year masters/credential program, but instead I just accepted a new job that I begin in May, so no teaching for me. Anyway, I know a lot of states are making big cuts to education, but the general consesus among people I talked to in education and government before initially decided to go back to school was that many of the positions that have been cut are likely to start being restaffed within two years. It's probably a good time to take some time in school and hope to be in the classroom by 2013.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:58 am
english bob

FuseONE wrote:

Captiv8 wrote:

ha! yeah.. that.. or more generally in this sense, they're not, shall we say, fully invested in their education and would rather spend their time dicking around on facebook and whatnot, instead of paying attention and engaging properly in lessons..
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Captiv8

It continues to mystify me that one of the first things to go when cuts are made is education. Really? We can spend an insane amount indicting Barry Bonds but unfortunately some teachers must go? Awesome assessment of priorities, America.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 am
Confidential

I'm actually not a teacher so this may not matter to you but I think you are a little off the mark about the prospects of becoming a teacher. Ideally, yes the world will always need teachers, but, your state will not always pay for public education. Most teachers I know who have entered the field within the last ten years have been laid off about 3 times. In my area, they cut back on teachers by lay-offs, and also not filling vacant positions.

Around the time I graduated, there was a strategy among grads to get a substitute teaching permit, which was a simple matter of passing a test and applying to the CA teaching credential commission. This was not a bad strategy for the iterim while you looked for a regular job or got your grad school applications in order, you could get regular work as a sub and make rent. This was around 2006. Well, when the lay-offs happened, the laid-off teachers became permanent subs, and the subs became shit out of luck.

Now you have a situation where teachers are working beyond full time, often putting in their own time and money, to meet demands that are sort of unreasonable considering the lack of systemic support. And, since many new teachers are "permanent subs", they are doing this while barely able to cover basic living expenses like rent, and health insurance. This is the situation I get from talking to the teachers I know. And this is California, I don't know how it is in your state, but I imagine we are the worst, but that it is similar. A teacher I know also tends to think that the union system of tenure and seniority is part of the problem, as "teachers of the year" are often new teachers who are the first to be laid off because of lack of seniority. However i tend to think that this shifts responsibility from the government, who help create a budget crisis through billions in corporate tax breaks, and instead places them on unions, whom I support against rhetorical and legislative attacks which you have seen.

Some have argued that charter schools have performed well and posed a significant challenge to traditional public schools. However, I feel that over reliance on charter schools actually places schools into the free market - a plan I am generally opposed to.

In conclusion, I think you should go for it if that is what you want to do and if you have a passion for teaching, but going for it as a strategy of job security is misguided. The working conditions for teachers are not going to get any easier. IT seems like a pretty good career, move, I mean as time moves forward we aren't going to rely any less on technology. Seems like the trick there is to stay ahead of the game and try to get some independent work.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:06 pm
Plum Puddin'

Steam those hams!
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:29 pm
Prontoid

Captiv8 wrote:
FuseONE wrote:

American's dont use 'taking the piss"? what a shame..
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:10 pm
Captiv8

Prontoid wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
FuseONE wrote:

American's dont use 'taking the piss"? what a shame..

It's at the end of a long list of shameful things.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 pm
FuseONE

For Confidential....

I follow politics pretty closely and I do know that the budget situation for many states right now is not good at all. That said, California's is an altogether special clusterfuck, believe me. Unless they make some kind of amendment to your constitution or rape you with new taxes, it's going to be that way for some time, too.

I'm in Delaware and while we're not in spectacular shape, the most they've done with teachers is relatively small cuts in pay, and there have been no talks of layoffs as far I know. Like I said, my mother's a teacher and I've also dated a couple of lady teachers so I am privy to some of the goings-on with their job security. They actually treat teachers pretty well here. One reason they have this money for them would probably be because our unemployment checks here are practically nothing compared to our surrounding states. But I digress.

Also, the idea of having your pay increased for doing things like furthering your education and training is very appealing. For the four years I worked at H.P., we, meaning the peon hardware field techs, had our pay drastically reduced every year. For no reason. Other than to increase stock prices and profits. And this has happened for almost every company I've worked for. In other words, unless you're a CEO, the private sector is Satan's playpen.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I teach my shit to those less intelligent in various circumstances of life; I don't get paid and I don't get credit, but I school suckers all damn day.

I am a teacher, but I'm also a student. That's what makes it hip-hop.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:46 pm
benjy compson

Captiv8 wrote:
It continues to mystify me that one of the first things to go when cuts are made is education. Really? We can spend an insane amount indicting Barry Bonds but unfortunately some teachers must go? Awesome assessment of priorities, America.

yes, really. the more uneducated the people are, the tamer
they are, the easier they are to control. that's why amerikkka is
amerikkka: the united states of embarrassment
Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:11 pm
Captiv8

[quote="anomaly"]I teach my shit to those less intelligent in various circumstances of life; I don't get paid and I don't get credit, but I school suckers all damn day.

I am a teacher, but I'm also a student. That's what makes it hip-hop.[/quote

Genuine laughter on my end of the computer, man.
Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next